• This topic has 130 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by z1ppy.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • New Evil Bikes 29er!
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

My point was only that I’ve worked out various build options on the Following so that was all the reality check I needed. I have not even considered a Process, nor do I want to, my comment in relation to a spreadsheet not telling me to buy one was tongue in cheek, obviously that hasn’t worked!

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

It’s been covered already but yes, £2400 is expensive but comparable with other frame manufacturers for a carbon frame.

I suppose to me that seems reasonable and to a certain degree an expected price. To others not. Surely it depends on how good it rides and then whether it’s worth the pennies.

mattjg
    Free Member

For sure, it’s about value, which is very subjective, more than price. This is a leisure item after all.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butterbean
    Free Member

It’s been covered already but yes, £2400 is expensive but comparable with other frame manufacturers for a carbon frame.

Do other such manufacturers have such a colourful distant (and present) past regarding their ability to build bikes that fall apart with impressive regularity?

It takes a brave person to drop that sort of money on an Evil frame, no matter how “cool” a brand they are.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

It takes a brave person to drop that sort of money on an Evil frame, no matter how “cool” a brand they are.

So we’re adding risk aversion to the list too.
    Blimey, buying a bike is complicated!

AlexSimon

It was definitely relevant to the Uprising. They seem to have learnt from their mistakes though.
    No idea how they manage to get bigger wheels and more clearance into that short a chainstay though, even with short travel.

butterbean
    Free Member

Considering the brand, it would be the first thing for most people 😉

mattjg
    Free Member

Buying bikes is simple, getting approval of the STW massive is complicated.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Buying bikes is simple, getting approval of the STW massive is complicated impossible.

mattjg
    Free Member

Anyway did you order already?

mattjg
    Free Member

Your public is hungry for news.

msjhes2
    Free Member

Seconded update needed! I am religiously watching this thread and the mtbr one as this is looking very much like my next bike.

mboy
    Free Member

Not the best photo, but can confirm the rear tyre clearance is better than first feared…

That’s a 2.25″ Maxxis Ardent in there, and I managed to jam my (adult male Size L/XL) fingers in all the way around the tyre, on both the seatstays and the chainstays. If a Hans Dampf is a slim tyre to you, you’ll be wanting a different frame, but for those of us that a 2.2″ is plenty of tyre, you’ll be able to run it year round, and up to 2.3’s in the summer months I’m sure.

Oh, and it’s even more incredible in the flesh than on screen!

For what it is, it’s incredibly light too, and there is ZERO friction in that suspension setup! Want has beome NEED rather badly I’m afraid!

rOcKeTdOg

Just they job for Droitwich trails Mboy

If you get one, give us a go!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Was that at Corebike mboy?

z1ppy

Doug yes, he posted a bunch of pictures from the show on FB

toons
    Free Member

Would you mind posting the FB link?

z1ppy

Ahh it’s really not up .. **** it…he shouldn’t have made them public, if he doesn’t want them shared 😀

https://www.facebook.com/markbonnes/media_set?set=a.10152918593791998.1073741832.646951997&type=1

mboy
    Free Member

Fingers crossed RD, will have one soon. It will be a medium though, so probably a touch small for you.

It was at Core Bike indeed.

Made the album public on purpose incidentally, the whole point of shows like this is so that guys like us go and take lots of pics, to then stimulate public interest! Saw Chipps a few times snapping away so I’m sure he’ll have a whole host of MUCH better photos on their way very soon, if he hasn’t already.

EDIT: Oh, and yes I did meet Palmer! 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

Who’s bought one then?

mattjg
    Free Member

How much would I ruin this running a 140m 46mm offset fork? It looks to be optimised for 130mm 120mm 51mm offset.

sillyoldman

Matt – handling will be slower – partly due to the longer A-C length, and also due to the decreased offset – both factors increase the trail figure which determines how the bike steers.

ST will also be slacker, and BB taller, but not a massive amount. Both can be minimised by running more sag and more compression damping to maintain the shape you want.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx. Can’t help feeling this is probably a bike to run as the designers intended though. Shame though as I have a set of 140mm/46mm Pikes already.

mboy
    Free Member

mattjg, where are you based? Who’s your local Evil Dealer?

The bike at Core had a 140mm Pike in it (pretty sure a 51mm offset but can’t be sure), the guys from Evil are saying run it anywhere from 120-140 travel up front depending on your preference. Dave Weagle has designed in the ability to run an Angleset from the off, to alter the head angle either way. Running a 46mm trail fork is going to effectively steepen the head angle slightly, so if it bothers you (it’s pretty slack for a 29er already), you can slacken it off again slightly with the specific angleset.

If/when I get one (hopefully soon), I’ll almost certainly have to build it up with my existing 46mm offset Revelations for the time being, as won’t be able to afford new forks at the same time…

mattjg
    Free Member

Hi – I’m in Surrey, dno who the dealer is. I guess there’s nothing to stop me buying one from you, excuse for a trip away too.

Awaiting your reports!

mattjg
    Free Member

Running a 46mm trail fork is going to effectively steepen the head angle slightly

My understanding is less trail = ‘slacker’ steering, more trail = more precise steering, but happy to be corrected on that.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mechanic/ask-a-mechanic-29er-forks-46mm-or-51mm-offset/

Yes The Following is way slack already doesn’t need to be slacker.

sillyoldman

More trail slows steering. Trail increased by slackening HA and/or by reducing offset.

So shorter offset shortens front centre (like steeper head angle) BUT slows down, not speeds up steering (like slacker HA).

mattjg
    Free Member

thx

mboy
    Free Member

Matt, here’s some more info on the headtube cups…

http://evil-bikes.com/tech-crap/

The guys at Silverfish are adamant it’s fine up to 140mm of travel.

Hi – I’m in Surrey, dno who the dealer is. I guess there’s nothing to stop me buying one from you, excuse for a trip away too.

LOL. That wasn’t what I was angling at actually, but if you’re seriously interested, drop me a line, I’d be happy to help as best as I can… http://www.missinglinkbikes.co.uk/contactus.php

mboy
    Free Member

More trail slows steering. Trail increased by slackening HA and/or by reducing offset.

So shorter offset shortens front centre (like steeper head angle) BUT slows down, not speeds up steering (like slacker HA).

Makes more sense than what I wrote first time round! In my defence, it was late when I wrote it… 😉

Has anyone done any back to back direct comparisons themselves of 46mm vs 51mm offset forks on the same bike? Was the difference noticeable?

mattjg
    Free Member

That wasn’t what I was angling at actually

I know, am very much tyre kicking at the mo anyway, but it helps to know there is an option with knowledge and credible support available.

mboy
    Free Member

Just (hopefully) sent you an email mattjg

mattjg
    Free Member

good work figuring out my email addr, it foxes a lot of people

Hopester
    Free Member

I’ve ordered one!

Was a toss up between that or a Ripley.

Kill me orange one should be here early March!

Can’t wait ti get back on a 29er after going for and hating a 27.5 last year.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Kill me orange one should be here early March!

That’s earlier than I was led to believe, fingers crossed!

richt2000
    Free Member

This is exactly what I am looking for to replace my Tallboy LTC.
    However my main concern is the pint glass sized pocket of carbon that the shock sits in. That would be full of mud up to the top in one winter ride round here – not only a nightmare to keep clean, but how do you access the shock to keep mud off the seal every now and again?

Conventional full sus designs get clogged with mud easy enough, but this design literally scoops up the mud.

Can anyone post a pic of looking down into the area? I havnt seen a photo which shows this clearly.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

There’s a lot of photos on MTBR, on this page of the thread there is a good closeup of the non drive side. Going to be honest it’s the one thing that is a slight niggle for me (other than the price) but seems that area is actually fairly well protected by the seat tube. Plus it is a little more open from the nds to get in to clear any muck out.

AlexSimon

These are both shots of the uprising, rather than the following, but…

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

From what I’ve seen, the following is not open at the lower shock mounting point like the Uprising, the seat tube completely protects the bottom part of the shock.

catvet
    Free Member

Not a million miles away from an Orange Segment in terms of geometry, without quite as long a wheel base, interesting, the Segment is a very quick bike, so the Evil should be similar!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘New Evil Bikes 29er!’ is closed to new replies.