Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New drug reverses ageing.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

Apologies if already posted but thought this was interesting.

BBC Link

Pandora’s Box?

funkmasterp

This is the bit that seems odd to me. Surely if they help to heal wounds and stop tumours you don’t want to flush them out. Then again I’m no scientist.

The approach works by flushing out retired or “senescent” cells in the body that have stopped dividing.
    They accumulate naturally with age and have a role in wound healing and stopping tumours.

And can I have my baldness cure before the immortality pill please?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

“people insisted I was crazy for trying”

shermer75
    Free Member

Exciting stuff! 🙂

funkmasterp

Argh! My eyes 😯 Ernie that is disturbing.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

deadkenny
    Free Member

If it’s working by keeping cells dividing for longer then there was something else on TV the other day about ageing and mentioned something discovered a while back that can prevent cells from reaching finite cell division, but the major downside is the cells will then go on to develop into cancer cells. Reason being that cell division makes a copy of the DNA and increasingly errors are made.

Oddly it seems cancer cells defeat the limit making them theoretically immortal. Just that the cancer goes on to kill the host by wrecking the functions of the organs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayflick_limit

(edit: my crude understanding from TV and Internet. I’m sure there’s way more to it than that, or likely bollox).

66deg
    Free Member

Check out ernie’s new bike 😛

qwerty
    Free Member

treatment for old age.

The only treatment for old age is death. Keep it dignified. Please don’t drag peoples old lives out for longer than nature intended*.

*Opens pandoras ethical / moral box.

GrahamS

Sure I saw a documentary about that. Some side-effects apparently.

Edit: ah here we go:

[video]https://youtu.be/6GctdWpQcmA[/video]

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New drug reverses ageing.’ is closed to new replies.