Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New Devinci Dixon
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Just got first sight (and sit, but not ride) on the new Devinci Dixon. Looks really nice in the metal and the bike feels like it sits nicely in it’s travel. Medium feels great for someone around the 6ft mark.

This is 145mm of travel, using the new DW Split Pivot design. Average weight with a Fox 32 150mm QR15 is going to be around 27-28lbs for a bike that costs £2725, but their top of the line bike with X0 is coming in at under 26.5lbs (it does cost an arm and a leg though)

Retail for the frameset will be just shy of £2k which makes a complete bike at £2700 good value. Freeborn are currently taking order!

cynic-al
    Free Member

DW Split Pivot design

Trek copy?

Urchinboy
    Free Member

So very very tempting. Holding on to my Frantik for now but very keen to get a ride on one of these.

oink
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

DW Split Pivot design

Trek copy?

Strictly trek have copied DW. They filed for their patent AFTER he had his. But trek being as large as they are I doubt they’ll license off DW

MrNutt
    Free Member

you wanna attend to that leaking overflow before the frost gets into your brickwork

geetee1972
    Free Member

DW Split Pivot design

Trek copy?

Depends on who you ask. Trek will claim they were working on it at the same time as Dave Weagle. Dave Weagle will claim it’s solely his idea, the patent courts in the US have recently backed him up but ultimately it’s more likely that the patent was granted for specific details rather than the overall concept of a concentric design, which I am led to believe is a long way from being a new concept.

Either way those that have ridden the Dixon say it is very good indeed and DW does seem to know a thing or two about suspension design. Besides, the Treks are getting excellent reviews as well so it all just adds to the mix. Oh this frame has a lifetime warranty BTW!

Proof of the pudding etc etc. The concept of a light trail bike with aggressive geometry though only just starting to get through to manufacturers. The Dixon has a relatively slack HA, decent room in the cockpit and a low(ish) BB (13.7” ), so it should add up to it feeling like a blast. I think the weight though will be a big factor in how well this thing rides. Freeborn are aiming to have many demo days in the future though so getting a test ride is going to be easy (as long as you live down here!)

geetee1972
    Free Member

So very very tempting. Holding on to my Frantik for now but very keen to get a ride on one of these.

Get one of these and loose c.2lbs in weight!

geetee1972
    Free Member

you wanna attend to that leaking overflow before the frost gets into your brickwork

Why would I want to do that?

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Get one of these and loose c.2lbs in weight!

And 20mm travel…

But I’m more concerned about the price of the frame. It’s a bit beyond me at the moment (plus I really love my Frantik). Could well be my next bike though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Looks good. Whats the travel?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Whats the travel?

145mm – Urchin, it is 20mm less than the Frantik but there is every likelihood that the bike will still be as fast over most terrain. I’ve not ridden one yet but it sounds like a lot of work has gone into the damper, which has been developed in conjunction with Fox specifically for the bike.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Nice looking bike, seems expensive though….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Frames are top end of the price market but the whole bikes are on the money.

oink
    Free Member

could be a replacement for my reign

MrNutt
    Free Member

because once frost sets in the water in the wet bricks will expand and then your wall will fall apart, your house will fall down and the four horseman of the apocalypse will descend from the sky and we’ll all be doomed, it is written!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Nice looking thing. £2k for the frame is ripping it though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wonder how much of that £2k frame cost is the licence fee for the DW link then.

Looks quite nice, but it’d be quite brave to buy one considering lack of recognition over here.

robholland
    Free Member

What the hell, 2k for that frame its not worth anywhere near that. Don’t get me wrong i like devinci. would love a wilson and would prob pay out a fair bit for that but this looks just a bit bland. Rather get myself a Transition Covert for £1300 looks alot nicer to.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mr nutt. You should call freeborn Horsham and let them know about the wall.

As I said the frame probably isn’t as good value as am omete bike but that is not uncommon. The price is more a reflection of a frame that is handbuilt in Canada rather than a license fee although im sure that plays a part.

Interestingly people will happily pay this kind of money for a frame made in taiwan as long as it has a yeti or Santa cruz name tagged onto it.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the ABP / split-pivot designs are (just?) very clever ways of sidestepping the fsr patent.

(they all allow the brake calliper to be mounted on the seatstay)

mrblobby
    Free Member

Seem pretty good value right now at well under 2k. Anyone here pulled the trigger on one of these? If so what do you reckon? Also be interested to know if they work well with 160 forks.

duir
    Free Member

I just built up one of these frames but didn’t pay 2K for it. I think Freeborn’s price is more like £1750 and isn’t that just the price of most top end frames of this ilk? Mine was a warranty replacement for another frame (different manufacturer) with Freeborn’s usual excellent customer service so only had to pay the difference.

My first impressions are one of a very up to date frame that is light, long, low, stiff and very high quality build. Mine has built up to just below 31lbs(size large) with gravity dropper, downhill tyre and some very strong kit. Only ridden a few times but so far it climbs exceptionally well and has bottomless travel on descents where it really rides like a mini dh bike.

I particularly like the huge top quality bearings, a must for up here in wet muddy Scotland and the attention to detail on the frame is awesome right down to the very clever cable routing.

For me the only slight downside is the paint as I would have liked an anodised finish for toughness. The paint job is certainly very smart but I think a healthy sized roll of frame protection is required.

So in summary I think Devinci have hit the nail on the head for an all day in the Scottish mountains bike and unlike most manufacturers claimed weight it is genuinely very light. I have a week in Aviemore at the end of the month so will give it some serious stick and see how it goes.

phillconnell

How was it? I’m thinking of getting the entry-level version so I’m keen to know how your build’s holding up.

Shandy
    Free Member

I have one, really great bike and an accurate review from duir. Its light, stiff and it pedals great. Mine has replaced a Spitfire and a SX Trail and I don’t miss either of them, its a really capable bike.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New Devinci Dixon’ is closed to new replies.