Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New build on existing bungalow plot electricty question
  • bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Evening Chaps + Chappettes,

I have a bungalow which I am going to knock down to rebuild a new single dwelling. The bungalow has connected electricity.

The house is in North Shropshire. I want to know who I apply to so that we can get a temporary supply whilst we carry out the demolition works and subsequesnt build.

There is a pole on the premises which doesn’t affect demolition or build so was thinking the temporary could be put there.

Also there is some other work going on in the village and the rumour is they are removing poles and burying the cables and routing them next to toad rather than overhead. Our current connection is actually ilegal anyhow as its only about six foot off the deck.

As this is not up to scratch anway do we get a better price or even cost waived?

I assume its spower as they took over what was manweb.

Any info as per normal is gratefully received

Cheers

andywoods
    Free Member

cost waived or reduced? not a hope in hell.. company i work for does it on a commercial scale we get charged old supply disconnection fee, temporary supply fee,temporary supply disconnection fee and new supply fee and they only need the slightest reason to walk away and put you to the back of the queue again. dont think they have a set charge usually an extortionate charge though sorry.. hope you get better result for being domestic customer

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

yes i did think hope in hell may crop up. We are domestic self build, and not commercial. I have heard different reports but we will have to wait and see.

cchris2lou

contact your electricity supplier , they will give you the number for a company which moves electricity cables .
    they wanted £1000 to move a cable 5 meters …….

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Chris, that seems crazy. Well if thats what it is thats what it is.

Better get on the blower in the am.

cchris2lou

and that was with leaving the meter where it is . moving the meter was £1200 .

all those prices are just estimates …..

we are with southern electric , and the company they use is UK power networks . check their webiste for more info .

you or your builders have no way of stopping the electricty from the post to the meter , so they can charge you what they want as you have no choice .

wrightyson
    Free Member

It’s a tricky one! You obviously need to go for the disconnection as soon as possible so you can get demo underway. However temporary connections are somewhat of a ball ache. They will insist on a meter housing etc being built. Can you not cope with generated power for the start of the build just until the super structure is up. I would then suggest you’ll be going underground to the boundary for a joint to be made off the existing supply with a meter box built into the side of the house, I haven’t seen or dealt with a “new” overhead connection ever. That cable will be supplied and laid by whoever it is an you’ll be responsible for the trench from property to boundary. This has got to be the best solution all round as the last thing you want is a dirty great cable lashed to the side of your new build.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Double post

qwerty
    Free Member

We have a pole on our plot which also supplies the bungalow behind us, where the unsheathed live cable crosses our fenceline its 10′ off the floor. It’s too low and unsafe. I spoke to the electic supplier and he agreed, plan is to temporarily shroud it and then bury it in a straight line from pole to bungalow, for free. It would incurr cost if we wanted to reroute the cable. The electric guy said our pole was 50yr old and the supplies didn’t meet current standards. Work was supposed to hehe been done on 5th but hasn’t. May change things if your cable is sheathed in plastic / armored and not live to touch.

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Thanks again guys. Think I need to get onsite asap and chat with other users/neighbours to see where the electric reroute is going.

Generator power could be an option.

I think I need to see how much actual power we require.

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New build on existing bungalow plot electricty question’ is closed to new replies.