Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New bottom bracket – do i go hope or shimano??
  • skiprat
    Free Member

Need to replace my bottom bracket as its started to die (very loudly!!)

The question is, do i stick another shimano one in and do the same again in a year or so's time or do i pay a bit more now and get a hope stainless that can be stripped and serviced and have it last for years to come??

What do you think??

Jamie
    Free Member

I had this same conundrum recently and ended up going for a SLX BB from Ribble for £20. Like the idea of the Hopes serviceability, but for the same price i can get 3 SLX BBs which should last at least 3-4 years.

skiprat
    Free Member

Thats the same as what i was thinking Jamie.

Cheers fella.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Or with a bit of nous, you could buy some replacement bearings (6805 2RS or 61805 2RS) from somewhere like http://www.akbearings.co.uk and whack the old ones out and press new ones in.
    Cheapo bearings are about £1.60ea, better ones (like enduro, for example) are closer to £20, but should last longer than std shimano ones.

cookeaa

I’m quite impressed with my Hope – coming up on 2 years old and not had a bearing change yet…

I take your point about the Cost/benefit trade off, I wouldn’t pay list price for it I think it cost me £50ish which seems about right to me (list price is £70 I think) so if I get another trouble free 6 months from it; it will then work out as having been better value than a 1 year life span – £20 Shimano (Touch wood, cross fingers, etc…), having said that I’ve had a shimano go inside of six months and conversely the XT on my DH bike was put in at about the same time as the hope and seems fine, it has seen far fewer miles but more heavy landings FWIW….

I’m waiting for one or other to go so I can try out my other spare Shimano BB, which I replaced the bearings in for a pittance, just to see how well that lasts…

If you want some longevity (to leave it a while between re-greasing/maintenance get a hope, but hunt round for a deal, it’s not quite worth the asking price IMO…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New bottom bracket – do i go hope or shimano??’ is closed to new replies.