Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • New bike thread, more travel, more travel, MORE
  • weeksy

Went crazy and bought this

160mm on a 29er is of course crazy, but with skills like mine you can never have too much bounce.

Just need to work out which dropper for it. Debating being a cheapskate and getting an rep plummet

zippykona

A lay forward seat post?

legend
    Free Member

There seems to be something badly wrong with the currently seat post and saddle setup….

weeksy

I did spot that, but I’m not holding it against the bike, it’s not the bikes fault.

legend
    Free Member

I think most people are more likely to question the quality of the owner rather than the bike

weeksy

Exactly. But it will now have a loving competent owner

Daffy

I’d be questioning whether the seller was the owner or just the possessor…

weeksy
    AlexSimon

A agree Weeksy – nothing shouts stolen to me either – Enjoy!

For a start, he’s got a proper bike stand.
    Then there’s the pedals not included bit.

bearnecessities

Your garage doors have delusions of grandeur.

Anyhow, what’s the bike? Can’t tell, but reminds me of an Enduro. Enjoy new bike day 🙂

weeksy

Specialized enduro comp 29.

It’s his garage, I don’t collect until Wed

Daffy

I’m sure it’ll be fine, but…£1300 with no description other than a one liner and a cut and paste of the bike description.

Apparently ridden (with the seatpost backwards and the saddle forwards and upwards) 10 times?

all with little>no feedback. I’d be a little wary, that’s all.

weeksy

Picking up from his house, so can’t see it being anything other than fine.

He’s sent me address and phone number etc

tmb467
    Free Member

Check the frame number

It’ll cost nowt to check and if it is stolen then it may pop up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Seller has removed his reverb and slipped an old post in just to sell, I reckon.

Nice bike – enjoy!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Owner is apparently selling it because he still gets a sore a#se, even with all that suspension…strange that!

weeksy

It didn’t come with a dropper on this from what I can see

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-enduro-fsr-comp-2015-29er-mountain-bike-EV212254

chakaping
    Free Member

That doesn’t mean he didn’t put one on it though.

weeksy

That doesn’t mean he didn’t put one on it though.

True, but i can’t say the seatpost has made me wary about buying it, more made me laugh.

The only minor debate i’m having with myself is whether i ‘need’ a bike with 150+ travel, but the answer to that is more ‘probably not, but why not anyway’

chakaping
    Free Member

True, but i can’t say the seatpost has made me wary about buying it,

I just meant that’s why it’s at a weird angle that nobody would want to ride. It’s probably never been ridden with that post in.

🙂

legend
    Free Member

It will be when the OP has a test ride before leaving…….. or do you tell the seller he’s an idiot and sort it first?!

weeksy

In a massive turn around, i bought a bike from an STWer instead. Nice to keep it in the family so to speak.

It’s a Kona Process 153. Highly regarded MTBs and should be an absolute blast.

Sadly, i won’t have it tomorrow for my first time at Surrey Hills but will have it at Swinley on Saturday… It will be overkill at Swinley of course… but fun

oldtalent
    Free Member

Have you actually paid for it yet or will there be another last minute change of mind? 😀

Great bike btw, I would have that over the enduro any day.

weeksy

I’ve paid him enough deposit that I won’t be bailing on it.

cdoc
    Free Member
    AlexSimon

Why can’t you buy bikes with droppers! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Excellent saddle angle on that Kona.

Why can’t you buy bikes with droppers!

Better to buy your own I reckon, ‘cos there’s a good chance you’ll need warranty

weeksy

I bought a cheap non remote hi lo dropper that should arrive for the weekend. I’ll decide then if I should get a new reverb, I missed out at merlin over the weekend as I never noticed their 15% off until it was too late, would have made it £150 for a new reverb

weeksy

Met up with Chakaping this morning and after a bit of faffing round checking things worked, adjusted, seat height, brake bite point etc I decided I’d take the Kona and off we went on the trails. Couple of stops after the first few sections followed by a tubeless rear not speaking fully and the debut ride wasn’t exactly going to plan.
    So we binned the tubeless and kicked on with the ride.
    The geometry of the Kona is at first very very alien, I knew it would be as its similar in many ways to he Pivot I hired and the Bird I tried. But the steering was precise, poised and happy. I struggled with seat position and height quite a bit, even in a large it’s quite a low top tube, so I’ve ended up with quite a chunk of seatpost showing. But its now pretty close to where I need it.
    Hard part was getting out of the faster faster faster mindset and accepting its not an xc whippet and not to try and ride it like one.
    Onto Stickler which is a forever and never ending turn of left right, right, right left for what seems like hours and hours, I was happy I could throw the Kona into the bends without the usual settling dab of brake I often use on the Spearfish, but maybe that was because I was going slower than on the Fish, not sure. But the Kona felt great and went exactly where I wanted.
    The only thing really letting it down was the rolling ability, or lack of it. Its got a super tacky compound Magic Mary fitted, in a similar context to motorbikes this would be the same as the stickiest compound tyre you can get. Which is fine on motorbikes but on cycles its causing drag. Its also exceptionally heavy, weighing in at just under 1400gr, which is more than double the weight of a Rocket Ron. But, its soft, sticky and compliant. It grips superbly and rolls over stuff with ease.
    The 160mm of travel on the Pikes soaks everything up you throw at it.

By this stage the bike was beginning to feel like ‘mine’ and not some alien machine. Throughout the day this didn’t change, it just felt right and happy.

Hitting some of the faster red runs of shows to me its happy in the air too, it flies well, lands well and doesn’t get out of shape.

The thing I noticed most was its ability to change direction, its sharp and responsive in spades. Really useful on some of the tight trails at swinley.

I then eventually got it home, time to start sorting out the aesthetics. Not mess as such but a lack of care and attention to detail. Just things left badly done, bolts not right, tape not installed and paint chips not fixed. But not everyone is like me I guess, to them its just a bike. But this guy paid nearly £4000 and in my book that means a higher level of care, not his it seems.
    Mechanically though its mostly excellent, although one of the crank arm bolts was about 200nm lol.

However he’s a really nice fella is chakaping and clearly a very good rider, was great at times trying and failing to hang onto his wheels.

All in all I’m very happy with it. I’ll get some spare wheels and quicker rubber for most stuff and keep the burly rubber for uplifts.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Who fixes paint chips? Wow!

These things are tools, things to be used and ridden.

Perhaps Chapaking was too busy riding it and not taping it. Hence why you struggled to keep up?

Maybe ride more and sort less paint chips?

weeksy

It would appear the answer is, me.

Lol I’ve ridden 2000 miles give or take in the last 12 month, along with having a poorly mum I drive on a 5 hour round trip every weekend and an 8 year old child, I do what I can with riding.
    However, an hour here or there in the evening to fettle bikes is quite nice.

weeksy

MAybe i’m a bit weird, maybe…

So this morning while the world are sleeping i finished off the frame. Couple of more touch ups on the swingarm/rear triangle and then some electrical tape on the areas that are most likely to get marked up. Including around the BB shell to protect from chain drops. Although i’ve got a chain guide to fit later on just to be on the safe side anyway.

I then removed the chain and that’s now in soak, then sorted out the cleaning of the rear mech, stripped it down, removed and cleaned the jockey wheels, made sure the whole of the mech arms are clean and free from any obstructive dirt. Re-fitted it all back together and away we go 🙂

Just waiting to pick up some faster rolling rubber today at 11am which will go on the rear for now, then i’ve won a front wheel which will mean i can swap easily between the Rocket Ron for day to day stuff and the MAgic Mary for gravity assisted stuff.

weeksy

Being this ridiculous about spannering does sometimes have benefits though.

Wheel off, tyre off and whipped the brake rotor off so i can clean the hub bits behind it easier, then looking at the cassette and thinking “Hmmm, that’s not the cleanest either”, so went to take that off, the nut/thing holding it on wasn’t even finger tight, was just resting on there… OK, so it wouldn’t have caused a major disaster, but it’s now stripped, cleaned and put back together correctly.

weeksy

oldtalent
    Free Member

Not sure of your circumstances, or ability etc etc but as im sure you are aware, thats more bike than is required for swinley.
    Try aston hill, tidworth freeride, the enduro trails at qcep, rogate, stoughton.
    All within an hour or so from me based in basingstoke and way more fun than swinley, depending on the sort of riding you enjoy of course.

weeksy

Agree 100% mate, you’ll get no argument there. It was bought with the aim for more techincal and trickier stuff over the course of the years, next up is BPW for it after a day at Jedi first. But Swinley due to location and riding buddies etc is the bread and butter, so making it as Swinley friendly as possible with one of the sets of wheels was a necessity for me.

I’ve noticed a tiny bit of play in the rear wheel when fitted, i think as it’s a 142×12 i need to tweak the little grub screw a smidgen, looking at the wheels they’ve got spacers on the end for converting to 142×12 and are Superstar hubs, so i can’t see them being the type of bearings you need to tighten up etc. So can only assume it’s the little grub screw as the lever on the axle is very very soft/light at the moment. So that’s next job.

weeksy

Hmmm. Seems its the swingarm. When I remove the wheel I can wiggle it a bit.

timmys

Not mess as such but a lack of care and attention to detail. Just things left badly done, bolts not right, tape not installed and paint chips not fixed. But not everyone is like me I guess, to them its just a bike. But this guy paid nearly £4000 and in my book that means a higher level of care, not his it seems.

Have you been tested for Aspergers? I’n not an expert but I believe OCD-like beahviour and a lack of social skills are classic symptoms.

weeksy

Lack of social skills ? WTF. I thought i was quite a sociable guy.

I don’t have OCD, i don’t sit switching the lights off 46 times, i just look after my kit, be it motorbikes or bicycles etc.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Rapid Rob front & rear? Says it all really.

Why have you put towpath specials on there? They must be mind blowingly crap 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread, more travel, more travel, MORE’ is closed to new replies.