Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New bike now with new bits!
  • j40aja
    Free Member

I got my Giant Defy Advanced 1 a couple of months ago but it sat tucked up in the garage waiting for the weather to improve and new wheels arriving from Light Bicycle in China.
    Well the sun is shining and the postie has been but in the mean time I got some other upgrade goodies.

Here’s a before pic as it came out of the box:

I’ve now fitted,

Specialized Romin Evo Expert saddle in black
    Michelin Pro 4 Endurance 25mm tyres and light tubes
    Ritchey 4Axis 110mm red stem
    Ritchey Superlogic Topcap
    Ritchey Superlogic Logic II bars
    Merida bar tape, black with red perforations
    Light Bicycle 24mm carbon rims (UD gloss) on Novatec 28 hole white and red hubs and red nipples.

Have managed to shave a fair chunk of weight off the standard build (2lb 5oz) to now be 18lb on the dot with pedals fitted.

Really happy how it’s come out, just need to now enjoy it in the sunshine.

Pictures from today after getting the bars fitted:

I’ll see how I get on with the TRP Spyres as I’ve never used them before but might go Shimano Hydros and might get better pedals if I see some nice Look carbons on sale.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey, how tall are you?

j40aja
    Free Member

6’4″ with 35″ inside leg but my bikes always look bigger in pictures than in the metal.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Need to align your stem 🙂

j40aja
    Free Member

Need to align your stem

Trick of the photo angle unless you mean slamming it? It feels right to ride so at the moment will be staying as is given the geometry isn’t a race setup anyway.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

My eyes!!!!!! Make it go away!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice idea, but it looks awful. Enjoy it.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Doh!

U forgot to mention the bottle cage – details, we need details! 😉

P20

Would you mind disclosing how much the wheels cost? I’m looking long term at some for my TCX

j40aja
    Free Member

Bottle cage was in the 1st photo but it’s a white and red Giant number 😉

Wheels came in at £427ish posted! I seem lucky to have dodged any import duty/Parcelforce fee which would’ve added another £30-£40.
    They took a while to arrive as I ordered them just before the Chinese New Year but they were a pleasure to deal with, would definitely recommend them.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Are you in competition with Hora to see who can make a nice bike look the Fuglyiest? 😕

1981miked
    Free Member

With that spec I assume you will be riding the TDF or whipping ass in amateur road races.. ; )

Looks good Al, I’m glad I’m not a lanky hoor like you and bah heed. Small framed bike just look so much better. I bet the upgrades don’t stop there! You will talk yourself into some non required gubbins like duck tails Petrie. Get out and ride it now.

coogan
    Free Member

That’s an amazing looking mountain bike. Will be well planted on the trails.

j40aja
    Free Member

Cheers Mike, surprised how brutal almost all of the comments have been but everyone has their own opinion.
    Enjoy the stag do, hope it’s not too brutal.

renton
    Free Member

Your surprised by the comments…. on singletrackworld,home of the keyboard warrior.

I like it btw

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Or just over sensitive mincers eh Renton.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It would look so much better if you removed the valve caps and had the rear mech inner cable pointing in the right direction.

P20

Cheers

unovolo
    Free Member

I’d have gone with a white stem and seat post but otherwise its a nice build, Garden gate sized bikes never photograph well though.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What do the wheels weigh?

I went for some Kinesis CX wheels for my Arkose and they’re ~1600g+ but did wonder about some chinese carbon. Are they much lighter?

continuity
    Free Member

Mech cable is awful
    Bar tape is not aligned
    Pedals aren’t at 45 degrees
    You aren’t in big/big
    Valves and tyre logos (same or opposite)

The rules are very simple. Get it sorted!

j40aja
    Free Member

Wheels came in at 1440 grams on my digital kitchen scales which was just a little over the claimed weight.
    Can’t change the seat post as it’s Giant’s D shaped type, I might change the stem as it felt a little long yesterday but would probably go matt black Ritchey C260 Superlogic to match the bars.
    Tyre logos are opposite the bars but will look at the rear mech cable.
    Pedals naturally rotate as they’re weighted but the cranks are level.

plus-one

That’s’ a stem flip/bar rotation away from looking ok 😉

hora
    Free Member

OP, that bike would be great for (just) night rides

renton
    Free Member

That’s a bit harsh coming from you hora seeing some of the monstrosities you have had.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New bike now with new bits!’ is closed to new replies.