Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)
  • feminists.
  • Cougar

Her ridiculously high heels are guns, so it’s clearly plot-related.

Eh, bad example perhaps. (-:

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Anybody think of a punchline?

“How many feminists does it take to read Fifty Shades of Grey?”

Cougar

“How many feminists does it take to read Fifty Shades of Grey?”

Moreover, how many men would try to explain it to them afterwards?

binners
    midlifecrashes

or from the rear…

Edukator
    Free Member

What’s not to like?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6-0ypKuwv8[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

The only game I can think of with a female protagonist, where it’s completely inconsequential that she’s female (as in the plot doesn’t make a massive deal about her being of the lady persuasion, she just gets on with it, as it should be) is in Portal.

poah
    Free Member

Feminists are just a group of people who have massive amounts of penis envy

Lifer
    Free Member

Do you talk about that a lot when you get together with your fellow feminists then poah?

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t really mind playing games as a male character (sort of got used to it now) but it’s the obvious way that you can’t be a woman that I just get pee’d off with . How hard would it be say FIFA to have a couple womens teams? Or one of the GTA characters to have been a woman? Or just not have the women prancing about in their undies (the street fighter version I’ve got all the girls are wearing g strings 🙄 )

Games I play? Halo, Bioshock, Lego (obvs) Portal, Far Cry, I like the assassins and Prince of Persia (sad I know) All are just games y’know?

lemonysam
    Free Member

(the street fighter version I’ve got all the girls are wearing g strings )

I always thought that Cammy should take more and more chafing damage the longer the fight went on for. No one can fight properly with an abraded ringpiece.

Northwind

emsz – Member

How hard would it be say FIFA to have a couple womens teams?

I’m not sure the FIFA engine could accurately recreate female goalies tbh. ITS NOT SEXIST WHEN ITS TRUE!!oN!E

poah
    Free Member

Lifer – Member
    Do you talk about that a lot when you get together with your fellow feminists then poah?

well I’m not a feminist to start with and I also have a penis 😛

edit. feminists probably think penis envy is misogynistic lol

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

If you’re going to do gamergate (and mention the horrible threats as a reason why one side in particular is bad) then you should realise that there have been threats on BOTH sides and that there are reasonable men, women, straight, gay, and trans individuals on BOTH sides (as well as the ‘orrible trolls on both sides).

Some (c.h. sommers) suggest that the issue is one of “social justice warriors” and gender feminists (as opposed to equality feminists) trying to be the thought police for a group of which they are not a part.

Others have pointed out that actual violence against women has been falling at the same time that that these claims of games causing misogyny and violence have been increasing. (In the same way the violence in society generally has been falling over the period in which people have been kicking off about violence in video games).

Its not a one dimensional topic and I really think that the tendency to get immediately offended, brand the other side with pejorative terms and shut down the discussion is getting a bit wearing these days.

As a minor example – the “pink van” issue
    Breast cancer charities use pink shirts and armbands and pink branding.

Is that offensive to women?
    If not why not?

Cougar

How hard would it be say FIFA to have a couple womens teams? Or one of the GTA characters to have been a woman?

FIFA’s a bad example I think, as its whole raison d’etre these days is, as I understand it(*), to mirror the current leagues. There’s no female teams in the game because there’s none in the leagues either. Adding a women’s team would mean adding adding whatever women’s leagues exist IRL, a lot of extra work texture modelling all the new players, potentially work on the ragdoll physics to account for the female form, etc etc.

Not that any of this is insurmountable. Point is it’s a lot of work – is there sufficient demand for it to pay of financially for EA?

(* – I’m far from an expert, the last football game I played was Kick Off.)

Or one of the GTA characters to have been a woman?

I was going to say GTA is a bad example too but, the more I think about it the more I think it’s a very good example. It would be a fundamental change to the game though. The whole group dynamic would be different, and it’d impact all the NPC interactions (as a random example). A lot of dialogue can be recycled, it’s appropriate regardless of which character you play. A female protagonist could mean that some dialogue doesn’t make sense and needs to be re-written, increasing the size and complexity of the game.

But. And it’s a big but (and I cannot lie). In a game series that thrives on violence, misogyny and crime to a point of shocking parody, thrusting the player into a character into the receiving end of that lifestyle could make for a very interesting game.

Or just not have the women prancing about in their undies (the street fighter version I’ve got all the girls are wearing g strings

Well, quite, and that’s where we started. Street Fighter is a pretty old series – SF2 came out in 1991 and they’ve been extending and remixing it for decades. The fighting genre is particularly notorious for this sort of imagery, I guess largely because of its anime roots (and original ‘hormonal boys’ target market). It’s a poor show if they’ve not moved with the times, really.

allthegear
    Free Member

poah – what exactly is “penis envy”? You do seem to talk about it a lot…

Rachel

Cougar

“Keep the tip”?

bearnecessities

what exactly is “penis envy”?

It’s a phallicy.

Cougar

Damn and blast. I’ve waited months to use that joke, and yours was better.

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

Spelled rong through.

poah
    Free Member

allthegear – Member
    poah – what exactly is “penis envy”? You do seem to talk about it a lot…

my definition of a lot differs significantly from yours what with me only ever mentioning it once on this forum.

penis envy manifests its self in early female childhood with anxiety from realising they don’t have a penis and the competition with the mother for fathers attention. The up shot is that they want the penis and the power it has, they blame their mother for not having one culminating in sexual desires for the father in order to replace the mother.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

girls who frequent picture palaces
    don’t go much for psych-analysis,
    and though Dr Freud
    is quite rightly annoyed
    they still cling to their longstanding fallacies

seriously I think penis envy takes us back to different times when the world was very much a ” members club “, as for Poah he’s probably just a dick

Lifer
    Free Member

Boom – Boom – BOOOOOOOM!

Cougar

Kettle’s on. Hob-nob, anyone?

poah
    Free Member

mr potatohead – Member

seriously I think penis envy takes us back to different times when the world was very much a ” members club “, as for Poah he’s probably just a dick.

like a lot of pysco-mumbo jumbo there are those that think the theory is valid and those that don’t. nice to see you are defending the feminists using Neanderthal type name calling 😉

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

glad to be of cervix

Cougar

O,vary good.

johnners
    Free Member

using Neanderthal type name calling

Priceless.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

*Doffs cap*

squirrelking
    Free Member

Poah – a few questions.

What makes you believe that all feminists are women?

Why do you decry “a lot of pysco-mumbo jumbo” in one breath and yet accuse people of penis envy in the other? You do realise that the penis envy theory IS “a lot of pysco-mumbo jumbo” no? Or are you just cutting your own cloth to suit your own agenda?

Finally, why do you believe that feminism is such a bad thing that you mock and ridicule those who support it? Do you not think everyone should be equal regardless?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would assume poah might be suffering penis envy right now, as he masturbates himself raw after getting a reaction, and desperately needs a second to go for a piss.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Do you not think everyone should be equal regardless?

I think that is genuinely part of the problem. There’s no such thing. You’re only ever going to have interest groups vying for power and at any one time, one interest group is going to have ascendency over another. The idea that there will be true equality is a myth (much like white male power is also a myth).

The interest groups aren’t mirror images of each other either. You have the feminist lobby, lobbying for women’s power but there’s no equivalent male lobby group.

You’re as likely in modern UK to experience being disadvantaged as a male as you are a female, the point is that the disadvantage is not targeted at gender, it’s not an organised conspiracy, it’s just life.

Things are different around the world where very real problems still exist but in this country at least, and probably a lot of other developed nations, the concept of feminism is anachronistic at best and divisive at worst.

AdamW
    Free Member

You have the feminist lobby, lobbying for women’s power but there’s no equivalent male lobby group.

It isn’t needed because the males are in power. Where they are *not* feeling as if they are in power you find them – off the top of my head “Fathers for Justice” may be considered such. Similarly there are no heterosexual lobby groups but there are gay/lesbian/trans ones.

Things are different around the world where very real problems still exist but in this country at least, and probably a lot of other developed nations, the concept of feminism is anachronistic at best and divisive at worst.

Now you’re trolling.

squirrelking
    Free Member

A fair point. Perhaps we just need ‘equality’ as something for everyone to get behind. Non-divisive, inclusive and does what it says on the tin (as compared to feminism which I’ve heard used as a platform for gay rights and such).

Your point about a lack of mens rights isn’t quite true though since many of equality objectives (equal paternity leave/pay, paternal custody etc.) are included within feminism. Or at least the normal rational feminism you don’t really hear so much about as opposed to young angry American women getting ‘radical’. Men’s Rights as a label is, unfortunately, toxic in the same way that the folk in Gamergate who were actually concerned with the whole ethics in journalism rather than gender bashing are now left with a toxic legacy, all the misogynists and other loonies piled in and it’s dead as a legitimate movement.

chakaping
    Free Member

Now you’re trolling.

I think he actually believes it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Damn right I do. But bear in mind that if you ask anyone who knows me (on here) they won’t say I’m anything other than a very decent person who takes care to look after people whenever he can. I’m no misogynist. I’m just tired of being berrated for my gender and would love some of this ‘male power’ that everyone speaks of.

I’ve experienced plenty of discrimination and disadvantage in my life and it’s been a hell of a struggle at times to get by so really, where is this power that is supposed to materially advantage me?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Now you’re trolling.

Not entirely fair, if someone hasn’t had what feminism is and isn’t about explained in a calm and rational way (which rarely happens) then how can you expect them to form an unbiased and fact based opinion?

I’m not that far from the point where I thought the same thing myself and to a greater or lesser extent still do depending on the context. For example I still believe that pay gaps are more to do with the fact women spend a great deal of time off work to raise children rather than institutionalised discrimination. Equal rights for paternity leave should hopefully address this gap through time and it’s normalisation.

squirrelking
    Free Member

But to address this:

I think that is genuinely part of the problem. There’s no such thing. You’re only ever going to have interest groups vying for power and at any one time, one interest group is going to have ascendency over another. The idea that there will be true equality is a myth (much like white male power is also a myth).

I don’t think feminists (in the true sense) are vying for power, just an equal slice of the pie. Same as trans people don’t want to be discriminated against, same as gays just want the same rights as straights, same as every other group in history that fought for equality.

History has proven that equality can happen, albeit slowly, so quite why you believe that it’s going to flip the other way I’m not sure. True equality is not being discriminated against for anything other than your actions, why is that such a hard pill to swallow?

poah
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member

Poah – a few questions.

What makes you believe that all feminists are women?[/
    quote]

who says I did?

Why do you decry “a lot of pysco-mumbo jumbo” in one breath and yet accuse people of penis envy in the other? You do realise that the penis envy theory IS “a lot of pysco-mumbo jumbo” no? Or are you just cutting your own cloth to suit your own agenda?

it was a joke, I wasn’t actually being serious

Finally, why do you believe that feminism is such a bad thing that you mock and ridicule those who support it? Do you not think everyone should be equal regardless?

yes everything should be equal but feminism isn’t about equality and everything is open to mocking and ridicule including me which I have no problem.

squirrelking
    Free Member

who says I did?

Feminists are just a group of people who have massive amounts of penis envy

Ergo they don’t have penises so are female.

feminism isn’t about equality

Ooookay then. Or are you confusing feminism with misandry?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 212 total)

The topic ‘feminists.’ is closed to new replies.