Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Bike Build – caution big wheel content…..
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Just finished building this;

I had weighed it on my scales at 21.95 something or other, but its now been verified at 23lbs. It rides very "sprinty" nimble and lively with all the usual clown wheel benefits! The Pythons are letting it down, but with proper tyre frame clearance now I'm gonna choose some bigger rubber tomorrow, has been running a Nevegal on the front, but might try a pair of Rampages next.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

awesome – really like that

BigDummy
    Free Member

Nice. What's the fork?

MrTall
    Free Member

Nice.

I run Rampages on my Salsa Big Mama and am a tad underwhelmed. They seem to lose grip quite easily in anything other than dry conditions. Specialized The Captains have been very good on my 29er Hardtail and come up pretty wide.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Very nice.

aviemoron
    Free Member

BigDummy the forks an old repainted Reba – done by Argos. I'd really like to try a bolt through something or other in possibly 120mm, but funds low just now! Mr Tall, Interested in the tyre feedback on the Rampages, the local LBS owner – David Keegan at Bothy Bikes, is now a 29er convert (funnily enough on a Tallboy as well!) so theres a pretty good selection of 29er tyres there including the Ardents so I'm going to try a few before buying.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have the 120mm bolt thru 29er reba's – excellent forks if you can get hold of some.

Tyre wise – i run Rampages on the full suss, captains on the HT & nevegals 2.25/weirwolf 2.55 on the SS. I also have Small Block 8's for the summer and Mud X for the winter. I'm unlikely to replace the Rampages once they are worn although i'll see how they cope with the drier summer trails.

Good people on here to recommend tyres for 29ers are Bonesetter and Ton as they've both been through most of them!! Bonesetter is currently running the 2.4 Ardents and rates them highly. On your lightweight build i'd expect you to run light tyres (my salsa is 30/31 lbs – it is a 22" frame though). Schwalbe do some light ones but the Captains are only around 600g each.

cozmobozo
    Free Member

Wooh, nice to see a tallboy in the uk. Let the big wheel revolution continue

Did you import those pythons from America?

ton

very nice indeed. and very fast i bet.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Trying not to be to antagonistic…

Sorry to disagree with you on the weight, but my Ti 3.5lb frame with Sids & lots of carbon & Ti bits, 500g tyres etc weighs that on my scales, who's scales certified it?

/Trying not to be to antagonistic

cozmobozo
    Free Member

Id say 23 pounds should be pretty accurate, it looks like a light build. Stans rims, xtr, xo, reba. Those tallboy's can build up suprisingly light for a 29er

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Bike Build – caution big wheel content…..’ is closed to new replies.