Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Never have to buy a shimano HT2 bottom bracket again :)
  • orangesrule
    Free Member

basically, i had a saint BB which died.

thought i’d post up how i revived it.

So basically these BB dont have a proper seal on the outerface, this lets loads of crap in, and the BB can die prematurely.

So basically remove your bb cups, and knock the bearings out, using a hammer and what ever hard implement you can get in there, i found a small, blunt chisel to be pretty good!!! don’t worry if you smash the plastic top hats up when doing this.

(the top hat isnt in that picture but you can see the ‘seal’)

so now you, just have your BB cups.

Go here and buy these – http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=450

then go and buy 2x 6805 2rs bearings, to what ever quality you want. i bought the cheapest of the cheap, as i was experimenting, next time i’ll buy higher quality ones.

you’ll notice these are 1mm wider than the original ones, this is because of the rubber seal on both sides. (hence you buying the new top hats).

now clean up, grease and press you’re new bearings in, pop the new top hats in, and walla, you’re bb is ready to go.

this is my bb with the new bearings and top hats. note the old shimano bearing seal and top hat on the right, these are now surpless to requirements.

Skyliner
    Free Member

And for the people that do not want to line the pockets of superstar there are these (and cheaper) 🙂 http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/163/d30062/race-face-x-type-bearing-cap.html

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Why would you do this when you can buy an HT2 for £14??

orangesrule
    Free Member

haha ideal, will that work without the rf axel spacers? due to the recess on the spacer? notice the superstar ones come out slightly.

by the time you have postage costs the superstar ones are only 50p more expensive. 🙂

orangesrule
    Free Member

because that cost me £7, i won’t need new top hats again, so could do it has cheap as £3. people dont have money to burn. the shimano design, has an inherent flaw.

if you where to buy a shimano BB i’d recommend taking it apart and flipping the bearing so that he rubber seal is on the outface and not the inner side of the cup.

Northwind

Every shimano BB I’ve ever had, has had a seal on the bearing face. And every replacement bearing I’ve ever fitted has lasted much less well than the original Shimano ones.

Also worth mentioning that the bearings are blind in some Shimano BBs making them a total swine to get out. Gamut’s EXT24 has (ime) slightly better lifespan than Shimano but also easy bearing replacement, if you’re into such things.

Klunk
    Free Member

i won’t need new top hats again,

they can be a real pain to get off again and have a habit of breaking, the raceface ones are probably best as they are a softer/less brittle plastic and they also have an additional outer lip which provides a better seal against water ingress.

slinkybike
    Free Member

Just buy a hope in the first place, but serioulsly any way you can replace the bearings and leave the shell is good in my books it’s such a waste to throw them out.

messiah
    Free Member

I do this with an old RaceFace Diabolus bottom bracket… and I get’s me bearings from Keasae because they last well. Works a treat.

fivespot
    Free Member

HT2 seal against the top hat is a far better seal than you get in any 6805 bearing (just keep it lubed) All you have done there is turn a half decent HT2 BB into a crap Raceface one.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

New BB – £15 to buy, less than 10 minutes to fit.

I’d rather spend a few quid more and have more life.

boxelder

Fitted ACROS ceramic about 3 yrs ago. Had forgotten ’til I read this.
    Other bike has a 2 yr old Hope stainless – fitted to two frames so far.
    Maybe sunny Cumbria is easy on BBs?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Never have to buy a shimano HT2 bottom bracket again :)’ is closed to new replies.