Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Never hang your Reverb-clad bike from its saddle
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Often a popular way to store your bike, I did this and it’s blown the seal in the Reverb. Should have seen it coming, but happy to declare my numptiness online in the hope someone else sees it and avoids this schoolboy error.

cynic-al
    Free Member

No such issues with Joplin.

gordonb
    Free Member

run a KS on the Heckler, was wondering about that for the gondola at Nevis… I think it would feel more secure with a normal post!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

they don’t like being stored upside down either. Must admit my reverb has been totally unreliable and shocking for the money. If only Steve Jobs was a mountain biker 😆

dan1980
    Free Member

If only Steve Jobs was a mountain biker

Indeed, no other manufacturer would be allowed to make a cylindrical tube for the attachment of a sort of triangular soft padded thing on top as they would be accused of “slavishly” copying his designs.

I doubt a SJ designed mountain bike would come with brakes either as he’d argue they were the number 1 reason why SJ designed bikes crashed….

😕

ChrisL

One of my KS i900R-equipped bikes survived a day of trips up the gondola at Nevis Range last year.

Wibble89
    Free Member

One of my KS i900R-equipped bikes survived a day of trips up the gondola at Nevis Range last year.

What happened to the others?

chakaping
    Free Member

Still littering the hillside.

fbk
    Free Member

My reverb has survived a few days saddle hung, gondola abuse – not sure it means anything

campfreddie
    Free Member

i feel the inclusion of a bungee cord, velco strap or roof-rack strap is soon to become part of the alpine cyclists essential kit… strap it over the saddle and down through the top-tube and ‘job done’

smoothchicken

If Steve Jobs designed a mountain bike I’d hope it’d take less than the five hours to upgrade it than it did my sodding phone!

Northwind

KS has a mechanical topout so is safe to dangle from. Gravity Dropper likewise no bother.

martinxyz
    Free Member

ugh.that is asking for dropper post trouble.

duntstick
    Free Member

Good pic though!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

If only Steve Jobs was a mountain biker

The most important man in human history didn’t ride a bike? Unpossible!

Maybe there is some way that his slavish acolytes could get his name in every thread, no matter how unrelated?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hijack,

I really do want a dropper seatpost, read the test the other month and it would seem they do suffer from quite a few wear-probs? Esp a transverse ‘play’?

Just wondering what you guys have to say, considering you’ve put them through some serious REAL testing.

Cheers.

jedi

who is steve jobs?

LoveTubs
    Free Member

I’m not going there, as this is clearly a trap?

jedi

eh??

camerone
    Free Member

Jedi in case you are not having a larf Steve jobs founder and CEO of apple passed away last week

Edit the computers not the fruit..

jedi

oh ok cheers. walks away shrugging…….

scoobmw
    Free Member

Just wondering what you guys have to say, considering you’ve put them through some serious REAL testing.

Tried an i7 – been back twice so far – once as it arrived with a leak, second it wasn’t bled well enough when fixed the first time. Over a year later I’ve hardly used it apart from a few decent days out such as tour de ben nevis etc. It’s holding up fine now though.
    Reverb – working out of the box just fine. Though post does seem to be very ‘dry’ to the touch compared to the i7 which naturally feels ‘slidy’, so I do worry about the seals etc, but hey ho – it works.p

scoobmw
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim – thanks for the tip. Will just stick a std post on for such eventualities as trips up that gondola I think …. next year .. next year … next year

jambon
    Free Member

Slight Hijack.

Is the i950 the only 6″ dropper around at present? (discounting the Rase Black Mamba, that is)

scaredypants

that pic of northwind’s – do they clamp the saddle to hold the bike perpendicularly outwards from it ? That’s just madness, dropper post or not

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trailrider Jim, Your seal probably failed on it’s own, nothing to do with being hung from the saddle. Mine failed, had never been hung like this, after about 4-5 rides.

Sent back, fixed, and did the gondolas at FW with no issues.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, I thought I’d seen all the sketchy ways you could attach a bike to a lift after a few weeks in the Alps this summer, but that’s a new one on me.

😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why is it sketchy ? Works fine …….

GW
    Free Member

that pic of northwind’s – do they clamp the saddle to hold the bike perpendicularly outwards from it ?

Nope, it’s just a steel loop you place the saddle nose in, the crosswind up there regularly blows noobs bikes sideways (it won’t happen if you know where your bike’s bars reach and choose the correct height hook for your bars to rest on the padded lower window frame seal)
    part of the enjoyment of FW DH track is seeing the white faces of riders who’ve just spent 10 minutes thinking they were about to lose their pride off the gondola. we met 3 riders at the top station this summer with pristine 224s wanting to know if there was another way down 😆 (gondola and track both too scary in the 60mph gusts 😉 )

ChrisL

It stayed at home.

My first i900R went back 2 or 3 times with scoring on its stanchion. Each time it came back with updated internals and after the last time has worked well – well enough that I was happy to get another one for a different bike. Hopefully the period of using KS customers as beta testers is over. 🙂

I’ve never experienced play in either of my i900Rs that was noticeable when riding. At either max or min extension (can’t remember which) I can notice a tiny amount when I’m off the bike and trying to waggle the saddle with my hand, but that’s it. One of my seatposts is about 2.5 years old now, the other is 1.5 years old.

nonk
    Free Member

hear good things about the x-fusion ones.

Northwind

GW – Member

part of the enjoyment of FW DH track is seeing the white faces of riders who’ve just spent 10 minutes thinking they were about to lose their pride off the gondola.

Imagine my delight when, after a lovely relaxed ride to the top earlier this year, I discovered my bike hadn’t completed the trip… The whole ring had broken off the gondola at the weld 😆 Luckily right near the top station so it fell into the bog instead of onto a massive boulder or better still halfway up a tree in the forest.

(I was in the gondola behind the bike, in case you’re wondering why I didn’t notice 😉 )

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My reverb failed entirely on its own.

After getting fixed it survived a day of uplifting at Ft. Bill.

Gary_C

Remember when Steve Peat was doing a world cup run down Nevis Range a while back, & his saddle broke near the top of the run ?

I wonder why that happened ? Hmmm…

Northwind

Gary_C – Member

I wonder why that happened ? Hmmm…

Probably because their kit gets the hell beaten out of it, all the time. The amount of strain on the saddle/seatpost really isn’t much at all- 2 of my bikes are hung up by the saddles in the garage right now, they spend 99% of their time like that… The gondola gives them a wee bit of bouncing but it’s definately less hard on the parts than, for example, riding the bike.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Never hang your Reverb-clad bike from its saddle’ is closed to new replies.