Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Never buy sram x9 shifters….
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

trying to sort out my gears and they arnt " clicking " into gear so i think theirs something wrong with the shifter inside, they are such a farse if anyone's ever tried to take these things appart, thread a cable its a right pain, so those of you who are intending on buying one don't, get something else, i have had about 3 years about of them so i wont mock them too much but its so annoying i think i need new ones :/

racing_ralph
    Free Member

ham fisted monkey in product is crap shocker!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mine have been fine for over 3000 miles…

nols
    Free Member

I have them on my pitch, never had a problem

allthepies
    Free Member

Fine here although the grommet which plugs up the cable access hole (for fitting new inners) is made of cheese.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

????

I've had sram shifters before, and put some new cables in a pair just before I sold them recently (I was selling them as new, and had stollen the originals ages ago so replaced them with ones form the spares box). Easier than shimano IME (threading a needle in a haystack in the dark with the big S).

I'd have them again if they did rapid rise.

snakebite
    Free Member

Anyone got an Alice Cooper song going on in their head…. 😆

brownix
    Free Member

sorry but you shouldn't need to take them apart to thread a cable …

racing_ralph
    Free Member

x9 ones you have to remove the top to get to the cable

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

On the strength of this thread, I'll keep buying them. They work for years until you take then apart and **** them up..

namastebuzz
    Free Member

sorry but you shouldn't need to take them apart to thread a cable …

Is correct.

the grommet which plugs up the cable access hole (for fitting new inners) is made of cheese

Is also correct.

Therefore the latter can disprove the former.

I had this problem and thought "just pop open the shifter to remove the plug". BIG mistake. Took an hour and two pairs of hands to get it back together. I was surprised by how cheap and nasty the inner workings were.

loup
    Free Member

I think it's the 2008 ones that you have to take the casing off to get the cable out – found this linky to help put it back together…

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have them, not that hard to change the cable and the performance is spot on.

donsimon
    Free Member

I agree with the OP, I've just replaced my X.0 shifter for the second time under warranty as there appears to be a problem. Apparently there is a plastic piece which breaks, no hamfistedness I'm afraid. €100 shifter fails due to a piece of plastic. As long as I keep getting a warranty replacement every 18 months or so, I'm happy to stick with SRAM.

0091paddy
    Free Member

I broke 2 mid race. Not looked back since using X0 gripshift..

brownix
    Free Member

haha true to the grip shift, but what i always do when i'm working on small intricate things, is TAKE A PICTURE of every single stage

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

no problems with mine, came with no cables took a little while to work out how the cable goes with no instructions but i didnt break them and theyre working fine.

Sirlickalot
    Free Member

Anyone got an Alice Cooper song going on in their head….

errr….dead babies?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

HEY…..HEY……..HEY………HEY………

HEY……..STOOOOOPID!!!!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

'hey, hey, hey hey… HEY STOOPID!'

cookeaa

Did you use the right tool for the job?

Or take the "precision" approch?

(Just to clarify, I am suggesting that you are a meat head OP) 😉

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

YES you do have to take the cap off the shifter to thread the cable in on the sram x9 shifters, but now im screwed because ive ruined my inner cable trying to thread it through the housing and cut it too short lol ah well LSB is 5 mins away, F***ng sram lol

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

D'oh! 😯 😳

richmtb

Yes they are brilliant until you take them apart. I have all the pieces in a bag in my spares cupboard, perfect project for a rainy afternoon!

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yeh it was alot harder at first but now ive got my head round it, its only 2 springs you just gotta know which way they go and its sorted

elaineanne
    Free Member

when ypu've fixes the x9,s chris you can fix my x7,s on the specialized bike (wont go click into middle ring) ! lol … 😉

snakebite
    Free Member

was thinking 'Schools out….'

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

They are utter rubbish. Unreliable badly made toss.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

luke in talking shite shocker again!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

#
    chris_mbuk – Member

YES you do have to take the cap off the shifter to thread the cable in on the sram x9 shifters, but now im screwed because ive ruined my inner cable trying to thread it through the housing and cut it too short lol ah well LSB is 5 mins away, F***ng sram lol
    Posted 14 hours ago # Report-Post

Your fault for cutting an inner BEFORE threading it through. If you must cut pre threading heat with a lighter first – makes the cut cleaner and keeps the strands together.

ononeorange

I like mine. Although I agree the grommets are made of cheese, but they do come with full stops.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You know I'm right if you've ever looked inside one. How on earth they charge what they charge for that I don't know. They break very easily compared to Shimano (we replace far more Sram kit in the shop due to premature failure).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Price wise i agree but shifting action is lovely. Sram has less margin fro error due to the 1-1 actuation surely. When it works its lovely even down to x7 level. Shimano is more agricultural though.

warton
    Free Member

had my X9s for 3 years, on two bikes, replaced the cables twice, took about 1 minute a shifter both times. if you lay them flat and haven't got the IQ of a flea its pretty straightforward!

but now im screwed because ive ruined my inner cable trying to thread it through the housing and cut it too short

I rest my case

coatesy
    Free Member

Always found it a bit of a lottery for feeding cables through X-9s, some go straight through, others can be a nightmare.As for breakages, just had two brand new front shifters warrantied, one made it to the shop floor and then died on a test ride around the block, the second didn't make it out of the workstand.
    To even the score a bit, also had two fairly new shimano shifters fall apart too, low-end stuff rather than X-9, but still not good.

ononeorange

I have Shi*mano on one bike, I really don't like the vague feel compared to SRAM and I can just never, ever keep the Shimano indexed. Set it up and within a ride it's all over the place. My SRAM is perfect once set up – I just leave it alone. When I have some cash, the Shimano is getting converted to SRAM.

FuzzyWuzzy

Not debating which is better but it's not Shimano's fault you can't index their stuff properly as plenty of people can…

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

((If you must cut pre threading heat with a lighter first – makes the cut cleaner and keeps the strands together. ))

Thx ill keep that in mind, next time i will make sure my gears are working ok before i think about cutting anything 🙂 but thx for the tip lol

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I love how people state that "x product is shit because i can't do x with it" – get some maintenance skills!

warton
    Free Member

I love how people state that "x product is shit because i can't do x with it" – get some maintenance skills!

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Never buy sram x9 shifters….’ is closed to new replies.