Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Networking Boffins please. Wireless boosters into routers
  • Killer
    Free Member

So, I’ve got one of those supper high boosting aerial dongle things. 44dBi and when plugged into my computer via the inbuilt USB cable i get a new wireless connector and access to the previoulsy out of range network.

the idea of this was to allow me to use a computer in part of the house outside of normal wifi connection zone. this part is fine, but it got me thinking as to whether i could connect a router to the booster aerial and use multiple computers/phones to use the connection?

does anybody know of a way to get a wireless dongle to connect into a mini network to act as a hub of a kind and allow a router to effectively access the internet via another router a distance away?
    do i need some special kit? i keep fiding routers with USB ports on them but i’m not sure that this’ll work in the same way.

am i going about this all the wrong way?

scaredypants

We’ve got a wifi booster that uses the mains wiring – needs to be paired with another (non-wifi) network box that the router plugs into

Ours are solwise branded – just looked on their website and can’t see what I’ve got but the stuff looks dirt cheap cmpared to what I paid a while ago

dobo
    Free Member

as above, ethernet over power EOP is the way to go. amazon or ebuyer have them tplink work fine for me.

just whack a wireless access point or switch on the other end of your EOP unit upstairs or where ever you need it.

i can stream HD content over EOP units no problem, something i cant do over wireless

scaredypants

found it !One of those, plus One standard plug and you’d be good to go

pjm84
    Free Member

I have a two router setup with both using the same SSID. The router downstairs is connected to the router upstairs via LAN / powerline plugs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Networking Boffins please. Wireless boosters into routers’ is closed to new replies.