Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Neil Young
  • aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I’m 45 and I’ve only recently got into Neil Young.

Why the hell didn’t someone tell me how great he was years ago? Can’t believe I missed out for so long…..

darrell
    Free Member

on the plus side you’ve got loads of great tunes to go and buy

may i recommend the “on the beach” album

GJP
    Free Member

Same here just discovered him “proper” aged 46. Difficult to know where to start.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Tonights the night for starters! Then maybe ‘Rust’ (with Crazy Horse)

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Listening to Greatest Hits at the mo, which I got as a starter. Lots more to explore… 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Better late than never!

Thing to remember with NY that some albums are brilliant, some are downright awful and some are a mixture of brilliance and awfulness.

HTH. 🙂

warton
    Free Member

on the beach.

that is all

cheviots
    Free Member

Weld was recommended on a previous NY post and rightly so its massive.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Oh yes, he’s the shizzle. Saw him at the Hammersmith Apollo in ’08 – best birthday present ever.

Raindog
    Free Member

Manchester Apollo three or four years ago – row two, centre stage. Epic.

Oh, After The Goldrush by the way.

CountZero

I would recommend Decade as a starter. Neil’s catalogue is littered with albums that only the really obsessed would bother with. Harvest, Harvest Moon, Tonight’s The Night, On The Beach I would consider essential. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young would possibly be worth considering. Mirrorball might also be worth a look at, he had Pearl Jam as his backing band and I saw him at Reading in ’95 with that line-up. Great gig, not sure I could afford a ticket these days.

sc-xc

I have tried a few times to get into him – that many people whose opinion I value can’t be wrong!

Bought Harvest Moon, and apart from the first song, I don’t really get the rest.

higgo
    Free Member

Weld
    Harvest
    Ragged Glory
    Sleeps With Angels

All different, all excellent – there are others but those are the ones I’ve been listening to most lately.

grtdkad

+ 1 for Decade. It’s a stunning collection.

plop_pants
    Free Member

give Greendale a miss though.

grtdkad

Cinnamon Girl turned up to the max can’t be beaten. . . .

roach

Tonights the Night is one of my fave albums.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

the csny live album “four way street” is incredible, a housemate at uni was a fan and it was my introduction to neil young.

I’d love to go to a gig like it, awesome banter among the band and with the crowd.

Loner/Cinnamon Girl/Down By The River is just perfect.

In fact, seeing as it’s Friday night it’s going on the stereo now.

Coasting
    Free Member

Go to his earlier stuff,once the nineties hit he got a bit patchy.Some of his CSNY stuffs good and even look at the Buffalo Springfield era.My personal favourite album is After the Goldrush followed by Comes a Time

iDave
    Free Member

there is some sweet singletrack behind his house too…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Old man take a look at your life…

nickf
    Free Member

I heard Rust Never Sleeps when it first came out. Still listen to it today, still love it.

boxelder

…I’m a lot like you.
    I need someone to love me….

deep_river
    Free Member

For some reasons the Stereophonics have done loads of great neil young covers.

Heart Of Gold being the best!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you have got Spotify, I’ve been listening to Archives Vol 1 today, not all of it, but a lot of the live stuff. Live Rust is a great album, almost like a live best of. Harvest, After The Goldrush, Unplugged all great. Of his more recent stuff I really like Chrome Dreams II, especially the epic Ordinary People.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LMz2H5xJOY[/video]

Just the first 10 mins sadly.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yxqx0-Sf2U[/video]

The rest of it.

Stereophonics 😥 🙄 👿

LoCo
    Free Member

Good isn’t he?! My mates father used to listen to him on the shcool run so was indoctrinated early.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Saw him at the Edinburgh Playhouse when he last toured over here, 90 mins accoustic and then 90 mins electric (about 4 songs in the electric half :wink:) Blew us away, almost literally. Best £70 I’ve spent and only gig I’ve been to where the touts didn’t have any tickets and couldn’t buy any.

cinnamon_girl

Cinnamon Girl turned up to the max can’t be beaten. . . .

You better believe it darlin’ 😉

cinnamon_girl

Another recommendation for CSNY ‘4 Way Street’. Disc 2 has some terrific guitar playing from NY.

Also really like ‘Mirror Ball’ with Pearl Jam, stonking loud guitars. 8)

DezB
    Free Member

“Decade” and “Weld”: Best live album ever.

And read Shakey the biography. I’m about 2/3s through it, what a superb book. If you don’t know much about the man, it’s amazing.

Oh, if you can find the soundtrack (or the DVD) of Dead Man with Johnny Depp, the solo guitar playing is wonderful.

mikey74
    Free Member

Edit

mikey74
    Free Member

I only got into Neil Young last year, at the age of 35, and I have to agree that “Decade” is a great place to start.

The trouble though, is that he is not as good a guitar player as he thinks he is, so some of his stuff can be pretty hard work.

I tend to prefer the stuff where he concentrates on song-writing, such as After the Goldrush, the campaigner, a man needs a maid, cortez the killer, ohio etc the list goes on.

DezB
    Free Member

The trouble though, is that he is not as good a guitar player as he thinks he is

Huh?? What a bloody weird thing to say!

mikey74
    Free Member

Huh?? What a bloody weird thing to say!

Well some of the soloing is a bit pants, to be honest. I realise some of it may be Nils Lofgren, but even so…

DezB
    Free Member

Well, that kind of depends what you like in guitar playing.
    I, personally would much rather listen to Neil Young playing badly than something like Rush, or I dunno… I just love the rawness of his playing.

It’s all about emotion, not technicality.

mikey74
    Free Member

Hey watch it!! I like Rush too 😉

I agree it’s all about the emotion. I just think he’s better at conveying emotion through song, rather than soloing.

DezB
    Free Member

There you go – another amazing aspect of Neil Young’s music: He can appeal to people with such differing taste as us two! 🙂

duntstick
    Free Member

How can guyz like dat stuff innit wen derz proper bo occorrin innit

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYDvJn7SUow&feature=fvst[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

We can’t like both then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Neil Young’ is closed to new replies.