Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Need a good jacket
  • supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi guys, ive decided to push to boat out and buy a propper mtb jacket. i have used my altura nevis reject off ebay for a while. It does cook you nicely keeping the meat nice and moist, shame im not a cannibal :clap:

Im looking for a top end jackiet up to £200, i need something that is:

easy to look after
    not too tight a fitting
    has a hood
    breathable
    near 100% waterproof
    Have a long back

if it is tough then thats a bonus, i am aware that certain atributes sacrifice others. I ride agressive XC and DH occasionally .
    I tend to heat quick and cool fast so its a right pain wearing the jacket i currently own, im not a brand whore so im open to suggestions, im looking for a propper trail jacket i can wear all year round.

cheers
    scott

jam-bo

i wouldnt wear a £200 jacket for DH.

in fact I wouldn’t wear a £10 jacket for DH.

sambob
    Free Member

Altura Mayhem are rated highly, and you could buy two for your budget.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    i wouldnt wear a £200 jacket for DH.

in fact I wouldn’t wear a £10 jacket for DH.

FTFY! 😉

Umbrella by the uplift stop FTW!

grahamt1980

Do you have a man to hold your umbrella then CFH?

But agree no point trashing a jacket riding DH

jedi

i got a scott paclite jobbie. gets wet and muddy adn i just chuck it in the van after. repeat to fade 🙂

supafly1982
    Free Member

very rarely i would wear it for DH, i was mearly pointing out what i ride, last xmas in the snow the shirt and body armour was suffice……so lets say for the purpose of this topic its purely trail riding 😉

philfive
    Free Member

What’s aggressive XC?

I can recommend the Altura Mayhem.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s aggressive XC?

Halfway between Mincecore-Lite and Gnat-ShredXTreem.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Endura mt500 is an awesome bit of kit.

philfive
    Free Member

Cheers CFH I’m at gnarcore-pump track, how many stages until I get thre?

banks
    Free Member

Dare2b jackets are unbeatable value

BoardinBob

Aggressive XC 😆

Nipper99
    Free Member

I just got a Showerpass Elite 2.1 which is Event. US make and fit. All your spec save for the hood.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m at gnarcore-pump track, how many stages until I get there?

Well, you need to get through Diet-Radnezz, Air-o-flex, and then Grrrrrrrrr-Eeeze and then you’re ready.

stomlinson
    Free Member

Keep your eye out on eBay you can pick a really good quality softshell jacket for the right money I just picked up a mountain equipment jacket £250 rrp for £82 worn once I am really happy with it but I was also looking at Haglofs as well as other brands even arc’teryx for a few more quid, mt 500 is another good choice but nothing wrong with a dare2b jacket for the money

supafly1982
    Free Member

Agressive XC > dunno what else you would call it, not poncing about keeping the wheels on the ground, wearing lycra, eating gut rot gel. Riding as hard as i can till i crash and brake something………maybe i should just of called it Sh*t riding haha 😉

philfive – how does your Altura Mayhem do at gnarcore? 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well if aggressive XC means fighting with the floor and trees then stick to cheap 🙂

After that probably depends mostly on your body shape and arm length. Time for a try on session 🙂

supafly1982
    Free Member

a couple i like are Gore Alp X 2.0 AS and the other is Marmot Nano, but the nano does not have a long back

rOcKeTdOg

Altura mayhem is good, you will get hot in it though, just pick what you wear underneath wisely, seems very waterproof, mine is covered in brick dust atm as i did some diy in it at the weekend, only thing i don’t like is the rustle noise it makes PBK were doing them for £80 when i got mine

Spud

Look past the ‘road’ site and have a look at some of these: http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=typ&ID=3 can’t go wrong for the cash I reckon.

zbonty

Gore is quality. I bought a nice jacket last winter for around £200.

Good fit, stashed hood that cab go under your helmet. Dropped tail, hard wearing and comfy. Try a few on. I found many jackets really big and billowy at the front when sat on a bike.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There was a huge amount of jackets tested in the last issue of the mag.

tomhoward

Another +1 for the Altura Mayhem, water proof and warm.

spacemonkey

Paramo Altira (IRO £260+ new but can be had for a lot less on eBay)

Scapegoat

Gore Alp X 2 are £165 @ wiggle.

asterix
    Free Member

I have the Gore Alp X 2.0 and it is great. Fully waterproof and the hood works nicely under a bike helmet. But then I am apparently from your description not an aggressive XC rider 😉

turbo1397
    Free Member

Managed to get hold of a altura attack extreme x reduced from £160 down to £90. been cought in a few downpours and stayed dry. just need to watch the layering underneath as it does get warm otherwise..

http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/7611/Altura_Attack_X_Waterproof_Jacket_2012

iainc

Just in from a very wet hour on the CX bike on the road. My altura attack kept me dry and toasty with a helly warm and bib longs

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Paramo Quito ticks all the boxes you asked.

supafly1982
    Free Member

cool, never heard of them before, they seem to get good reviews

doubledunter
    Free Member

+1 for Altura Mayhem, been impressed with it so far, dont seem to cook as much as I did in my Endura Flyte, and seemed to dry off very quickly yesterday when I got soaked in some biblical level of rain.

supafly1982
    Free Member

gone with gore alp x as

plecostomus
    Free Member

Haglofs endo jacket or berghaus velum jacket. Simples.

al1982
    Free Member

i have a similar quandary, but was thinking of getting a windproof soft shell jacket, but thinking these might be too warm? so was thinking of purely a lightweight windproof jacket? or do i go for a fully goretex jacket like the Haglofs endo jacket? would consider anything from £50 – £150

any thoughts?

nickname
    Free Member

Montane Minimus – cheapish and very cheerful 🙂

I’ve got an old montane atomic d2 which is also rather good, but the velcro cuffs have gone now so I’ll need to stitch on some new ones.

I’m most likely gonna get a minimus as well…

neiloxford
    Free Member

For that price I would get Rab Neo Stretch jacket. Very very breathable 🙂

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/review-rab-stretch-neo-jacket-11-45419

FuzzyWuzzy

Have an Alp-X as well (not the GT version though), it’s good but not sure it’s worth the money over other options though. It might breath a bit better but chances are you still go beyond it’s limits so you end up sweaty anyway, just not as quickly.
    Assos Sturmprinz works great on the road bike (the only genuinely breathable waterproof I’ve tried), not sure I’d risk wearing it off-road though.

supafly1982
    Free Member

Gore Alp x 2.0 AS arrived today, got the alp x gloves too but they are only the wind stopper type. just need to get out and test it

BillyBull
    Free Member

I have a Madison evo lite from start cycles in Newcastle. Waterproof seams and asymmetrical zip. Best jacket I have had and reduced to less than 40 quid! Incredible jacket for the price but sizes really big. I have medium and I am usually large. Loads of room inside for pads and layers. They have a website.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Need a good jacket’ is closed to new replies.