Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Nearly died today. Not a good day. :-(
  • takisawa2

Popped out to collect little uns' Birthday cake this morning, (party tomorrow). Come back on dual carriageway, road damp but not overly so. Pulled back in after overtaking a couple of cars & the car goes out of control, spins 180deg, slams into barriers, spins again & goes on its side, slides a bit then ends up in fast lane on its roof.
    Had the two little uns in the car with me. Thankfully they were uninjured, but seeing them hanging upside down in the back in fits of terror is something I'll never forget. First instinct was to get them out & to safety. Few people stopped to help, the kindness of strangers was amazing, couple of off duty PC's & a doctor. People fetching toys & blankets for the boys etc. My arm had caught the window going in, & had dragged along the road for a bit so was looking pretty bad. Emergency services soon arrived, all of us checked over & fine, nothing serious.
    Wife arrived after a while. Police closed the road & got the car out of the way, kids car seats, buggy etc reclaimed before it went off on truck.
    Paramedic calmed the boys down though, went & fetched the Birthday cake that had come through its ordeal with little damage!!!.

Keep running through the obvious thoughts now, not going to be an easy nights sleep, but boys are my main concern. Sleeping soundly now, but eldest not himself this evening. Dosed up with Calpol on docs advise.

Feeling very very lucky to have walked away from this.
    PT.

BoardinBob

Jeebus! Glad you're ok. Any idea what caused you to lose control? Patch of diesel!

Smee
    Free Member

Learn from it.

BoardinBob

🙄

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Diesel is the fuel of the devil…………..been there mate, you were lucky you had 4 wheels.

el_boufador

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is fragile – Glad it all worked out 'OK'.

fozzyuk

Kids are stronger than we think, would be feeling the same as you though, sending thoughts…..

racefaceec90

whoa!!!glad you're all ok!!!

Peregrine
    Free Member

Whoa thats heavy – glad all are ok tho, hope the party goes ok.

sv

Somebody is looking after you – it'll work out fine. Remember my Dad rolled a car one time with just and I in it, as you say hanging upside down in the seatbelt is a bit strange!

trail_rat
    Free Member

RWD wet road ?

RTAs are never good , 2 of my riding buddys from years back are currently facing life in a wheel chair- if he ever gets off his life support machine. after a car crash on sunday night – needless waste of life at 21/22

You got off seriously lightly.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Man, that's lucky. Sending best wishes to you all.

stumpy01

Holy cow!! You got out OK that's the main thing. And from the sound of it, the cake survived which is obviously a great accompaniment to a nice calming cup of tea!

New tyres recently?

Ambrose

Hope you all mend soon. What speed were you travelling at?

cynic-al
    Free Member

wow. Glad to hear you are ok.
    People say kids are tough…of course they get through whatever they have tof but they will clearly be traumatized , sounds like you will be doing a good job of supporting them.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Bloody Hell!!!!!

THank god you are all OK.

Buy a lottery ticket!

SB

lowey

Jesus… Take good care of them kids mate… must have been very scary.

franksinatra

Claim for new car seats and don't use those ones again. Kiddie car seats are not included in the usual £100 limit for car contents, so you should be able to get full replacement value for both. Regard them as written off though, they have done their job!

neilb67
    Free Member

Jesus glad all are ok. Where did it happen?

slugwash
    Free Member

Hope the kids aren't too phased and are all relaxed and ready for todays big event. And I hope you've managed to get a decent night's kip and have settled down a bit after the incident. Kids can get over the shock of these type of things quite quickly. Well some kids can, when we were involved in a collision my nine year old was fascinated by the whole thing and couldn't wait for the next one to happen! (Luckily it hasn't yet).

BTW, it was my daughter's fifth birthday party yesterday, but we played it safe and made the cake ourselves 😉

Glad to hear you're generally alright, as mentioned by franksinatra above ditch the used childseats and treat the family to some new ones. All the best. Now stuff them partybags!

freeform5spot
    Free Member

sh!t the bed mate!
    Glad all safe and sound

singletrackmind

Christ . The roads doen here ( sarf coast) were greasy as yesturday morning. I was able to spin up the fronts in third gear if i pinned it in my crappy TD citroen. I hope you have stopped shaking and the kids are OK. They will be fine I am sure, and it will all be forgotten about in a few weeks. Lucky no one hit you as you piroetted up the road, and you kept it on the tarmac, its the abrupt deceleration in ditches or hitting trees that is nasty.
    Bet it went BANG tho quickly follwed by tinkle tinkle.
    I rolled my car once, ended on its side, and as i got out the door swung shut down onto my head nearly knocking me out and pushed me back into the car, maahhooosive headache after that one , and hte very next car down the road was . . . the police

Be safe and hug your boys

CHB

Been there on recently wet roads…not fun!
    I spun a brand new ford focus 7 years ago in heavy rain.
    Glad you are all ok and as said above, learn from it. I know I did!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Glad to hear everyone is ok!
    Any idea why you lost control?

dr_death
    Free Member

Aren't modern cars brilliant (although make my job a bit boring). Ten-fifteen years ago a crash with enough force to flip your car on it's roof would generally have done for you all, these days people walk away relatively unscathed.

Glad it's the latter and not the former….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Learn from it.

As always, the Cockman cometh…

Hope you are okay and wonderful to hear your two children are okay.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Crikey, bit of a shocker over tea and toast.
    Great to hear you all got out more or less in one piece.
    Keep close to the kids and talk about it, hug them and reassure them, they will bounce back – kids are very resiliant.
    Hope your arm is ok and get back behind the wheel as soon as you can, it will knock your confidence and the longer you leave it the harder its going to be.

tang
    Free Member

been there mate. after things have calmed down get in touch with a cranial osteopath, they can help remove held trauma in the body for both adults and kids. where are you based? can recommend in bristol or cheltenham.

Rich
    Free Member

Woo, scary stuff!

Was this in the Verso?

Best wishes to all.

julianwilson
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

Learn from it.

As always, the Cockman cometh…

…at least his login name is a bit more descrpitive these days! 😆

in all seriousness, I'll be jiggered if i can find anything in the OP that definitely points to driver error. Did he edit it? Or perhaps TZF is operating inder greater understanding of the wording of a post than the rest of us, and has detected some error or carelessness in this that the layperson cannot.

For my own benefit at least, (I too am not averse to overtaking 2 vehicles on a damp-but-not-wet dual carriageway and returning to the left lane) what did he do wrong?

oh, and glad you are all in one piece!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I'll be jiggered if i can find anything in the OP that definitely points to driver error.

Yeah, I thought that too – it could have been a blow out or mechanical failure (shock absorber blown or something).

But – even if it WAS driver error, the time for 'learn from it' isn't immediately after a crash that could have had much more serious consequences – the poor guy is going to be pretty shaken up and just needs some comforting responses at this stage. A time for reflection comes much further down the line when he knows everyone is perfectly well and he has the full facts of the incident.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Does sound like diesel to me – in a car it can be absolutely arse clenching if there is recent rain mixed in with it. Just no grip at all (nearly had a big accident last year when there was a huge diesel spill on the M80 in the rain, and that was in a 4×4… running in 4×4 mode!). Glad everyone walked away unscathed, it could have been so much worse.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does sound like diesel to me

Yeah or, as happened to me once as a passenger in an almost brand new Golf TDi – a hydraulic fluid hose blew (about 500 metres after the start of a journey) as we went around a roundabout, depositing fluid all over the tyres/brakes etc. We ended up looking back up the road but fortunately didn't hit anything.

whyterthanwhite
    Free Member

Well, it's good to hear your kids/yourself are ok after experiencing that as it does, I'm sure, shack your nerves silly.

Still, better being in a car than on two motored wheels in this instance.

I know a small amount of what you must be feeling like after this particular crash as my mother was involved in a slam on the motorway early in the morning (think 2.00am coming home from work).
    Some nutter who tapped her car from behind caused her to write off a newish second hand car after having been shoved into a spin and hitting the central barrier.

Still it could of been a lot worse as it just upset my mother's arthritis.

Can remember when I had to phone relatives to let them know what had happened. Shock springs to mind and lost for words to begin with.

Anyway big thumbs up you survived, to learn one of life's many experiences.

Have a 🙂 on me

MrNutt
    Free Member

crap in a bag! good to here you and yours are ok!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Must have been very scary for you all glad all okay though.

Don't rise to smee/glupton/trawling cock fighter posts he's just bitter cause he's a bankrupt

Gary_M
    Free Member

Must have been very scary for you all glad all okay though.

Don't rise to smee/glupton/trawling cock fighter posts he's just bitter cause he's a bankrupt

Kuco

Glad you and your children are ok a car can be easily replaced.

crikey
    Free Member

in a car it can be absolutely arse clenching if there is recent rain mixed in with it.

Try it on a motorbike, or on a roadbike with only lycra for protection….

tankslapper
    Free Member

Bloody hell! Glad to hear all O.K.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Nearly died today. Not a good day. :-(’ is closed to new replies.