Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Nearest and best Welsh trail centre,advice please.
  • gee68
    Free Member

I’ve got myself a pass out for saturday(my birthday)and would like to try out one of the trail centres in Wales,the problem i have is i live just north of Nottingham and need to comute there and back in a day.

Which centre would i be better off heading for as in time,distance and the all important fun factor?

Also i feel obliged to ask……..will i die?

😆

Klunk
    Free Member

apart from LLandegla they all about the same travelling time from nottingham, i guess 3.5-4 hrs (on a good day), about 3 hrs to LLandegla

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Llandegla’s good fun and closest. If you’ve got the whole day then get up early, drive there, do a lap, and drive back via Cannock, makes all the driving seem a bit more worthwhile if you do two trails in different places in a day. Personlay I’d make a weekend of it.

Sat am – Cannock
    Sat pm – Llandegla
    Sun am – Snowdon (off the hill before 10am rememeber)
    Sun Pm – Coed-y-Brenin (I’ve never been, but it seems the obvious one after doing Snowdon)

[edit]

Or, a very early start, drive to Stainburn (short laps but very techy, probably as much tech as a 30km trail center black run in just a few miles) even if you do all three loops you could be in and out in 90min. Then over the other side to do Guisburn or Lee Quary. Folowed by Llandegla, probably best taking lights though!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

llandeglla is nearest i’d have thought . . .

but if it’s a day pass, . . why not make the most of it?

The Marin and Penmachno are further, but at least they are fairly accessible from the M56/A55 route . .
    so you could ride both . . ?

I’d leave our as early as possible like 5.30 – 6 in the morning and get back 6 pm ish be a good test of the relationship . . lol

gee68
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick response Klunk,is LLandegla worth the drive then?

The only places i would really have to compare it to are Sherwood Pines,which my two young kids can get round and Cannock which although i enjoy seems to be a lot of graft for short lived return.

martinhutch

Google has Nottingham to Llandegna as less than 2 hrs, and Coed Y Brenin as 3.5. Which might swing it in favour of Llandegna, I guess, although I’d come a similar distance for a day trip and would pick CYB.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

p.s. what is this ‘pass’ you speek of?

Me (Sat am): i’m off for a ride
    Missus: Ok (sulks)
    Me (Sunday dinner time): I’m back, here’s some motorway service station flowers, did we have any plans? Scotland was awesome, why is all my stuff in bags?

Klunk
    Free Member

as an intro it’s fair enough, though for a first time my pick would be Nant yr Arian.

br
    Free Member

Cannock which although i enjoy seems to be a lot of graft for short lived return.

If you think Cannock is a lot of graft…, you’ll find Wales rather tough 🙄

tomhoward

Or, a very early start, drive to Stainburn (short laps but very techy, probably as much tech as a 30km trail center black run in just a few miles) even if you do all three loops you could be in and out in 90min. Then over the other side to do Guisburn or Lee Quary. Folowed by Llandegla, probably best taking lights though!

Having done all but Lee Quarry (live near Stainburn).

That. Sounds. Ace! STW day out?

gee68
    Free Member

Thanks for all the reply’s and advice it’s much appreciated.

@ br: I don’t mind the climbing or the graft it’s just that the really good downhill bits seem so short,either that or im just getting a bit jaded with the place hence looking elsewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Nearest and best Welsh trail centre,advice please.’ is closed to new replies.