Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • National DNA Database, Why Not?
  • G
    Free Member

1. porterclough – Member

As far as I know we’ve never had a universal fingerprint database of all citizens in the uk, the police are only entitled to fingerprint suspects. I fail to see why after 100 years of keeping our fingerprints to ourselves without a problem there’s suddenly a need to collect DNA data on us all –

And if you had bothered to read the thread or even the first post you would see that I’m asking for help to argue against a database, so that’ll be you agreeing with me then!

especially when, as others have pointed out, DNA evidence is likely to be misrepresented as ‘proof’ in court by people who don’t understand probability properly.

If you read the thread you’ll find that that is clearly incorrect see CPS rules for use of DNA as evidence.

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    If you had bothered to read the thread or even the first post you would see that I’m asking for help to argue against a database, so that’ll be you agreeing with me then!

IanMunro – Member

So apart from nebulous points, why not?
    How you want society to exist is hardly nebulous.
    What are the arguments that have been debunked btw? I haven’t seen them debunked. It’s a pointless unnecessary invasion of privacy. Comparing it to the voluntary existence of medical records is meaningless.
    If society can existing quite happily without something then you need some seriously good reasons for introducing something.

And if you had bothered to read the thread or even the first post you would see that I’m asking for help to argue against a database, so that’ll be you agreeing with me then!

ooOOoo – Member

If you are in favour of an enforced DNA database, I would welcome your answer to this related question:
    “When will we have enough CCTV?”

Del – Member

i think your interpretation of the responses above and mine differs somewhat.
    only in a police state is a policeman’s job easy.

konabunny
    Free Member

“Future increase in scope, could you expand that point TJ? “

For an example of this, why not look at the compulsory ID cards for foreigners/airport staff: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/07/id_cards_contracts/

it’s being trialled on them before expansion to the rest of us. And what’s this? A new feature? Being embedded into the UK banking network as well?

“Hall also said the agency was considering adding Chip and PIN to the ID card.

Hall said: “One of the reasons for the format of the card is we have the opportunity to put it in to card readers and potentially use it in existing networks such as the ATM network.

“We are in discussions with the financial services industry and, if they come forward with a compelling view of the rationale for chip and pin for them, that’s definitely something we’ll take extremely seriously.

“If we conclude that chip and pin is a key part of making it useful, there’s no technical reason why we couldn’t do it.””

What a load of crap. They have a solution waiting for a problem – they will have ploughed a huge amount of cash into a scheme for no appreciable benefit, and now they want to graft it onto the financial services network in order to make it seem useful. It’s not up to the government to solve banks’ security problems, and they haven’t been asked to. Spankers and liars, all of them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dont think you can start a thread like this and expect those that dissagree with you to keep quiet!

A national DNA database woudld stop repeat sex offenders. Or at least catch them much quicker. Surely you can be alturistic enough to accept that if they have your DNA, then at least they would have had that cabbie’s DNA as well?

And theyd know who those bodyparts belonged to, which might give them a headstart in finding out who the psycopath is.

kennyNI
    Free Member

This makes interesting reading, from David Aaronovitch in The Times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/david_aaronovitch/article5962811.ece

To summarise, convicted criminals should not have DNA stored either.

What do you think of that?

gonefishin
    Free Member

A national DNA database woudld stop repeat sex offenders.

Typo aside, how exactly would it achieve that? If someone has been convicted of any criminal offense then, under the rules that already exist, they would be placed on the Police DNA database negating the need for a database of innocent people who have never been convicted of any crime.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

There already is a DNA database. It’s just that it’s unofficial, and information stored within cannot be admitted as evidence in a court of Law. The government/authorities simply want to legitimise this.

G-Man; I think the arguments against the legitimisation of a DNA database are quite clear, here, and have been put across very well by several people.

The long and short of it is; too much opportunity for corruption, and misuse. This governmet can’t be trusted with a tinned fart, let alone everyone’s personal DNA information.

Ok so, ID cards and the DNA DB are brought in; next step:

‘Why shoon’t everyone have a chip inside them, so the authorities can see exactly where they are, at any given moment?’

Who watches the Watchers..?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ok, il give it an explanation,

say for example I assaulted someone on the way home tonight, totaly out of character, unprovked etc etc,

no say i got into a habit of this,

under the current system my DNA would be stored and they’d know someone did it, but not who. Untill i messed up and got caught.

With a database i’d be expecting a nock on the door a few hours later and quite rightlyt o be heading off to jail.

The cabbie who drugged female passengers and asaulted them recently is a very good example of something that would not happen with a DNA database.

G
    Free Member

We do you plonker! Thats how the system works. Check it out right now. Do you honestly think miracles apart that the Government will survive the next election?

gonefishin
    Free Member

That’s not what “repeat offender” means. A repeat offender is someone who commits another crime after being convicted. What you have described is a serial attacker.

That being said your argument is essentially one of presumed future guilt, i.e. we’ll take evidence from you now on the basis that it will make any future conviction we want to make easier. Sorry but that’s not the sort of society that I want to live in.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

appologies for being wrong on a technicality (I’m neither a lawyer or a good speller/typist)

You could argue that the entire system is one of presumed future guilt, why have a policeman on a street, where 99% of people are abiding by the rules, he’s still watchign them to try and spot the bag snatcher?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

We do you plonker! Thats how the system works. Check it out right now.

How? Can I gain access to Police, Goverment or MI whatever information? Can I ****! You have no idea how ‘the system’ works, my friend. You just think you do.

I’m not even allowed to take my own pics of the police, lest I use them for ‘terrorist purposes’….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

so you believe its ok to take pictures of the police (thus keeping a record of their whareabouts)

but CCTV/DNAdatabase/ID is wrong?

(devils advoctate, that argument would take too long)

gonefishin
    Free Member

appologies for being wrong on a technicality

Sorry I don’t mean to labour the point but that’s a bit more than a technicality.

The information viewed by a policeman on the street is not stored anywhere for future use (other than in said policeman’s head) so it is not a valid comparison.

CCTV has it’s place as does a DNA database I just think that holding the DNA of those convicted of a crime is a good balance between the needs of protecting scociety at large and maintaining law and order whilst maintaining Civil Liberties. This is of course a subjective view point and as such cannot be proven to be right or wrong.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

so you believe its ok to take pictures of the police (thus keeping a record of their whareabouts)

Yes. It is was ok to take pics of anyone, in a public place, as long as you din’t use the pics to suggest anything that was not true. I have very little problem with CCTV, if used in the correct manner; to provide surveillance of public areas, in order to help protect the freedom and safety of people there.

I don’t want my ‘phone tapped, my emails read, or any of my personal information stored in a way that might be vulnerable to abuse.

Simple, really.

And I believe it is a Human Right, of every person, to break any law imposed by Society, that they believe to be oppressive, unjust or that seriously impinges on their Human Rights.

Of course, that idea would be open to corruption by nonces, fanatics, etc, but it’s the risk that we have to take, in order that Freedom is preserved.

I suddenly really fancy an ice-cream vayn cornet…

ooOOoo
    Free Member

“CCTV has it’s place….”
    yeah – everywhere 🙁
    They even asked me to design cameras that don’t look like cameras a while ago.

G
    Free Member

To quote RudeBoy from above and then from a recent post on the “she won’t do that again thread”

How? Can I gain access to Police, Goverment or MI whatever information? Can I ****! You have no idea how ‘the system’ works, my friend. You just think you do.

And then

At least it proves we live in a Society where we are free to have our own opinions.

So apparently, I’m hoodwinked by the system which frees me to have my own opinions then? I think I may be loosing you buddy.

G
    Free Member

To quote RudeBoy from above and then from a recent post on the “she won’t do that again thread”

And then

At least it proves we live in a Society where we are free to have our own opinions.

So apparently, I’m hoodwinked by the system which frees me to have my own opinions then? I think I may be loosing you buddy.

GrahamS

There already is a DNA database. It’s just that it’s unofficial, and information stored within cannot be admitted as evidence in a court of Law.

Is this another RudeBoy conspiracy? There are criminal DNA databases, yes. And no doubt there are intelligence services databases that contain DNA of suspected criminals. But there is no national DNA database of everyone at the moment.

If you’re suggesting that there is: that authorities perhaps secretly collect DNA samples from all newborn children to put in a secret database, then what exactly is the supposed point of it if no police or medical personnel have access to it??

‘Why shoon’t everyone have a chip inside them, so the authorities can see exactly where they are, at any given moment?’

People would never agree to that. But you could probably persuade them to carry around a mobile communication device that has a unique serial number and can be tracked very accurately via radio towers.

You could even put a microphone in it so it can be used as a remote evesdropping device…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Being free to have your own opinions, and actually knowing the truth, may not necessarily go hand in hand.

I feel free to have my own opinions, but there’s loads of stuff I don’t know, so I keep an open mind, rather than blindly accept what I am told.

G
    Free Member

Like I’ve said before Rudy, if it smells like a fish, looks like a fish and tastes like a fish theres a good chance its a fish!! Mind you we could all be living in an alternate reality and actually not be here at all..

GrahamS

if it smells like a fish, looks like a fish and tastes like a fish theres a good chance its infected and she should get it looked at. 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Eeeeeuuuuw!

Nasty! 😯

Crab paste…

epicyclo

It’s an interesting aspect of modern British culture that the government is always assumed to be benign.

Benign government can change overnight, even in a civilised society. There are many cases of governments turning on sections of their citizens – Jews in Germany; Armenian Christians; Mormons in USA (19th cent) etc.

Simple – never ever trust your government.

G
    Free Member

Benign government can change overnight, even in a civilised society. There are many cases of governments turning on sections of their citizens – Jews in Germany; Armenian Christians; Mormons in USA (19th cent) etc.

And your point is ?

I think you will find that the evidence above of the number of people on this thread slating the government for all sorts of crap kind of debunks your initial statement, and as pointed out on a number of occasions already in the case of a totalterian state occurring there is nothing to stop them doing it anyway, so therefore its not a valid argument for not doing it when there clearly isn’t one in place and is hardly likely to be.

epicyclo

The point is don’t voluntarily give the government more info than you feel comfortable with.

As for the rest of your comments, I think they are naive, and I hope you never end up as a member of an unpopular minority group.

G
    Free Member

I think they are naive

And I think you are one of the lizard people, but it doesn’t make it true though does it?

and I hope you never end up as a member of an unpopular minority group.

I am, white middle class, middle aged male, still happily married after 29 years with the same woman, two kids both of which are hers and mine…. apparently

zaskar
    Free Member

I remember doing this my genetics module debate at uni and posted this question on the forum-fury! thanks to forum I received 92%.

Lots of ethics to be discussed and reliability of the tests.

So far 100,000 admin errors.

We’ve only managed to prove genotypes and phenotypes.

I’ve been invited by a collegue to work for an insurance company as a consultant for the possible development of life assurance and DNA testing for disease. Hmmm

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What’s wrong with privacy?

I conceed to divulge personal information in exchange for services and privileges – my choice.

To me, freedom means not having to justify my lifestyle or risk being penalised because someone who has my details doesn’t like it.

You don’t need to know, the Govt. doesn’t need to know.

anagallis_arvensis

If you had bothered to read the thread or even the first post you would see that I’m asking for help to argue against a database, so that’ll be you agreeing with me then!

Well **** you big fella. Next time you ask for help I will know what to do.

CountZero

“if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear”
    “I fear having to prove I have nothing to hide”
    Also: “neccesity is the excuse for every infringement of human liberty. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves” Edmund Burke

One police spokesman has stated that DNA from innocent people will be kept untill they’re 100, despite such a database being decreed to be illegal under European law. Chip and pin has already been proved to be totally ineffectual against fraud, soif someone can steal your details from an ATM for financial fraud, then having all your other details available to be cloned onto a card in another country should terrify everyone. We have signed agreements which allow British subjects to be arrested and deported for things which are not even crimes in the UK. Imagine being arrested for the rape and murder of a child in France when you’ve never been there, because the Gendarme have a card with your details on. How do you prove it wasn’t you? After all, it’s YOUR DNA they have so you must have been there and done it.

El-bent
    Free Member

We do you plonker! Thats how the system works. Check it out right now.

We do? Considering the raft of laws that this particular Government has brought in that will infringe on our privacy, I don’t hold out much hope for this meek population.

Do you honestly think miracles apart that the Government will survive the next election?

This Government won’t. Its the giving information over and placing it in the hands of “a future Government” that concerns me. And considering we don’t know what the future holds in this Country, what Economic/Social upheaval there may be, theres always a chance that the wrong kind of Government may come to power.

markgraylish
    Free Member

From coffeeking

1) If you match 49 other people in your country and can explain your whereabouts, as can 48 others, the guilty party is going to stand out. If you can’t and someone else can’t then theres doubt. Combined with other evidence it should be pretty safe.

So lets assume you unfortunately share the same DNA as a serial offender.

And, as I do, you have difficulty remembering what you were doing more than a couple of days ago;
    Or you don’t use Facebook to document every minute detail of your boring life;
    Or let’s say you went out for a few beers after work and the guys said lets got to a strip club. You went but you didn’t want to tell your wife.

And then the police come knocking on your door asking you to explain where you were at a certain time and date, which may be many days/weeks/months ago.

And then, lo, the serial offender strikes again. And the police come knocking again…

How many times do you think having the police questioning you is reasonable?

How many times do you think having to ‘pop into the police station to make a statement’ is reasonable?

What happens when you can’t/don’t want to have to account for every minute of your life?

How many times do you think that this would happen before the police start to draw their own conclusions?

OK, so most of this is circumstantial but I for one don’t want to have to justify my life to the authorities just because I happen to be a match to someone else on a database. Even if this happened once, that’s once too often and I for one would never ‘pop into a police station’ without a solicitor present.

kennyNI
    Free Member

…and as pointed out on a number of occasions already in the case of a totalterian state occurring there is nothing to stop them doing it anyway, so therefore its not a valid argument for not doing it when there clearly isn’t one in place and is hardly likely to be

But which comes first? By the erosion of privacy and civili liberties first, it makes it much easier for a totaliterian state to develop, so it is an entirely valid arguement.

G
    Free Member

Thanks for the help people.

Ultimately we got down to the fact that it might be the thin end of the wedge as being the only real argument for not doing it that actually holds water. The rest really doesn’t bear much scrutiny, in our opinion.

Cheers

G

PS: El-bent – that comment was aimed at RudeBoy and was in the context of the ongoing conspiracy theory he is expounding regarding 9/11, rather than anything else.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Ultimately we got down to the fact that it might be the thin end of the wedge as being the only real argument for not doing it that actually holds water.

I know it’s not something that you should really do but I’d have responded by simply asking the question

National DNA Database, Why?

I’ve yet to hear a convincing argument as to exactly what it aims to achieve and the mechanism by which it will achieve those aims

konabunny
    Free Member

“I am, white middle class, middle aged male,”

Oh, that’s OK, then – white middle aged men have nothing to fear from the police! Oh…

GrahamS

In the news today Man arrested in 26 year old murder case:

During the case, detectives developed a DNA profile of the killer after items recovered during the inquiry were re-examined.

Hundreds of officers worked on the case after the teenager’s body was found just over a mile from where she disappeared.

Following the DNA breakthrough, police have used it to eliminate about 800 suspects.

If they had a national DNA database then they could have gone straight from that DNA profile to their suspect, without ever hassling 800 other innocent people.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anyone know of any sources of good respected research relating DNA profiling to crime detection and, I guess more importantly, crime reduction between countries that do and don’t have DNA databases? Google hasn’t been great yet.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Following the DNA breakthrough, police have used it to eliminate about 800 suspects.

Yeah ‘coz I’m sure that the only way to eliminate 800 people from their enquiries was via DNA testing.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘National DNA Database, Why Not?’ is closed to new replies.