Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • NAS advice
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Would like some NAS, thinking 2TB for music and photos mainly and so I can get to my music via my phone or Ipad etc to Bluetooth to speakers (HK sound ticks) or stream to my proper stereo via a streamer that’s currently linked to my PC

No idea how films would work but guessing I need a special tele? Or can I watch movies via a games console? Just not sure a DVD player isn’t easier but can’t help thinking how much emptier (in a good way) our house would be without a bookshelf filled with DVD’s

If films can be stored, how do you copy them to a drive (I know some modern ones can but the older ones are copy protected surely?)

Also, if firms can be stored and easily watched, is 2TB enough!

Was thinking of a WD my look live network

Davesport

I’m using a 2Tb Nas from Buffalo Buffalo NAS range. It’s plugged straight into the router & everything else is networked over the 240 V mains via homeplug type of devices. Movies stored as MP4’s can be streamed to the PS3 & watched on the telly as can all of your stored photo’s.

I don’t know how you encode the movies to MP. My offspring turn up with HDD’s full of them & I take the ones I want ! I also download from youtube to watch later. The Red Bull channel has some great viewing all in HD.

The Buffalo NAS has a lot of built in features that I don’t use. See below copied from the webby. All of your stored stuff is accessible remotely from anywhere. I’m a total Luddite when it comes to new tech, but this was plug & play straight out of the box 😀

Features

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet support
    Built-in DLNA & UPnP CERTIFIED Media Server
    WebAccess – Access your digital content via a Web browser to a PC or Mac or via the WebAccess-i app to your iPhone® or iPad®
    Direct Copy feature allows you to automatically upload images from your digital camera or digital camcorder directly to your LinkStation
    Download media directly to your LinkStation using the built-in BitTorrent client, no need to keep your PC on
    Seamlessly integrates with iTunes® and allows you to access your music files on the LinkStation from your iTunes® software
    Supports Apple Time Machine Backup with multiple clients
    Active Directory Support: Works as a client in an Active Directory domain allowing the LinkStation Pro to utilize the domain users and groups
    Schedule Backups from one LinkStation to another over your LAN network or via USB to an external HDD
    Includes Novastor NovaBACKUP® Professional with 5 licence Pack for PC
    TurboPC / TurboCopy for Windows – increases file transfer and copy performance
    Schedule Power Management and PC Interlocking Power Management function
    Eco Friendly Power Saving Mode
    Easy setup and web-based administration
    Protect data by restricting access with group and user level security
    Built-in Print Server to print from anywhere on your network (*USB printers supported only)
    Expand storage by adding a USB hard drive via the USB port
    Built-in FTP server

petrieboy

I’ve got a 1tb Lacie and a 3tb western digital my book live. Both much of a muchness but the WD is newer so the interface is a bit slicker. Nothing complicated in what you want to do. DLNA will present all your media to your games console, smart TV or bluray player. There are also dedicated media streamers that can hide away behind your TV to do this if that helps.
    As for ripping your collection, that’s a thread in its self but ultimately decide what balance of file size against quality you want. Whether you want 5.1 sound makes a difference too.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Very happy with WD live book jobbie similar spec to the buffalo device up there ^

look at partnering it with the TV Live renderer works really well.

Haze

Smart TV should sort your video out.

Unless it’s a Sony, then you’ll need something to transcode, ie. Xbox etc.

Sony’s are crap.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

OMG!

How easy is that!

Bought a NAS drive ( WD lay live book) Curry’s for £130 as I couldn’t be bothered to wait until about Wednesday to save £15 from buying it on line!

Plugged it in, and plugged it into the wireless router ( sure I could do it wirelessly if need be but as they’re next to one another….

Downloaded the software from WD web site and straight away started uploading music to the 2TB hard drives.

Downloaded the app for the iPad and started playing music to my Harmon Kardon sound stick speakers via Bluetooth. 😀

scaled
    Free Member

Add a raspberry OK in the the mix (plugged in to the tv and stereo) and you’ll be amazed 😀

I’m gonna order a nas drive now as my clunky old USB HDD plugged in to the pi is on its last legs.

If you’ve got any pure ‘flow’ digital radios you’ll be able to play stuff from the nas over dnla/upnp as well.

carloz
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Synology NAS / Raspberry Pi setup.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘NAS advice’ is closed to new replies.