Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • maxxis minion tubeless blowout
  • dizcostix
    Free Member

I’m pretty new to tubeless and got the flow rims with minion FR folding 2.35 tyres.

my 3rd proper ride out on them and I got a front wheel tyre blowout when cornering in a berm. I had 35psi in the front for my 100kg loaded up.

The tyre is difficult to seat with a track pump alone so I’m wondering if its a bit loose and this is why it blew off easily?

Its not a brand new tyre to this rim if that has anything to do with it? Or is a specific tyre/rim combo issue?

ffej
    Free Member

I’m surprised you’ve had issues with minions.. They are usually pretty reliable. I managed to rip a high roller off the rim years ago but that was due to running silly low pressures (sub 20) as I was too lazy to put air in. Could be historic damage to the bead?

I find all maxis tyres can be tricky to first seat onto the bead.. but once up they are fine.

Northwind

Are you sure it was fully onto the bead? Possible to get a tyre to seal up without being fully in…

doug_basqueMTB.com

I manage fine at a similar pressure to you on exactly those rims. I´m about the same weight too. One thing that happens often when you are just on the first ride is that they´re not seated well and you gradually lose air through the day which eventually results in a blow out.

nosedive
    Free Member

I have had exactly the same problem, same tyre, same rim, same terrifying explosion on landing.

I find it happens with the folding ones but not with the wire bead ones, I think they are just a bit too floppy

dizcostix
    Free Member

I’m sure it was seated fine. Maybe I’ll give another go and double check the seating.

any tips to confirm correct seating?

doug_basqueMTB.com

If it stays inflated over a day or so then it´s seated. You normally hear a distinctive “ping”! The sound of success.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘maxxis minion tubeless blowout’ is closed to new replies.