Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Narrow-wide chainring with road chain?
  • toronte
    Free Member

Hi all,

I replaced my Sram chain on an 1×10 OneUp setup with an Ultegra road chain (the one with the holes in the plates) and under heavy load it started crackling like if my BB bearings were shot. I put the old, worn chain back on, no weird noises anymore. I thought a 10 spd chain is just a 10 spd chain and any would do. I had the Ultegra chain at hand and I didn’t even thought it could cause any issues. I’ve ridden about 10 miles/ 15 km’s. Didn’t break but there’s something obviously wrong. No crackling when spinning moderately.

Anyone of you encountered the same issue as me? Was I wrong assuming any 10 speed chain would do?

steve_b77
    Free Member

A chain is a chain is a chain, it might just be it bedding in on the old drive train. You got it the right way round didn’t you?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

chain orientation shouldn’t matter as the directional nature refers to machining on the edges of the left outer plate to aid shifting up the cassette.

Brand new chain on partly worn chain ring bedding in? You did line the wide teeth up with the wider plates (v similar thread within the last week where it appears they didn’t…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/11-speed-xt-narrow-wide-chainring-issue

toronte
    Free Member

The one I put on is directional and I did pay attention to it.

I didn’t wait until the old chain stretched a lot. According to the chain wear indicator there was still some life left in it, I just didn’t want to wait until it’s ‘officially’ worn. Cassette and chainring have only been through this single chain.

Thanks for the link. I’ll double check if I made any errors regarding tooth and plate pairing.

Edit:
    No. Wasn’t the issue. It’s impossible to put the chain on the wrong way. The narrow plates don’t even fit the wide teeth.

Still looking for solution.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Narrow-wide chainring with road chain?’ is closed to new replies.