Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 11 speed XT & narrow wide chainring issue
  • st

I’ve just built a new (to me) frame up and it’s got m8000 XT kit. I’ve set it up with Saint cranks and a Works narrow wide chainring. On the shakedown ride there was something not right up front. Lots of noise and a roughness that I could feel.

So is anyone successfully using a bog standard N/W chainring with an XT m8000 set up? I wondered if the chain line was extreme but the issue is there from one side of the cassette to the other and it seems like the chainring teeth are too wide for the 11 speed chain (Shimano). If I need to I’ll just swap the cranks out for the current XT but I do like the Saint cranks and would like to keep them.

Ta.

covertbaz
    Free Member

I just fitted 11speed Xtr, and running the shimano 11 speed chain with a raceface Narrowide, seems to be OK so far, I have raceface turbine cranks if it makes a difference.

Was quite lucky with setup to be honest, all went on easily and worked pretty much without any serious fettling. Just a couple of extra links in the chain making it a little longer than my 10 speed setup.

Daffy

The interior measurement of chains is the same between 9/10/11 speed, it’s the outside dimensions that have shrunk between each change. As such, the NW should work. Could be that you just have a duff ring. Have you threaded the chain correctly around the rear mech?

alextemper
    Free Member

Could be chain too short or chain line off. Some rings are initially a little noisy for a couple of rides anyway until they bed in. There will be more noise as there is more material from the chainring in contact with the chain.

Kryton57

Have you fitted the links around the narrow/wide teeth appropriately>?

poah
    Free Member

there will be a bit of noise because of the chain angle when in certain gogs.

alextemper
    Free Member

That is impossible to do.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bet on it.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

No help… But I’m running exactly the same set up, Saint cranks, works (oval) nw chain ring, xt 11spd, currently working perfectly

st

Thanks for the replies, it seems more set up error than incompatibility so should be cheaper to sort. The ring is already used. I’ve had it as part of a 10 speed set up for a while where it was working fine and whilst it shows sign of wear it appears to have loads of life left in it.

nosedive
    Free Member

Ive got m8000 cassette, sram 1030 chain. E13 narrow wide ring in the middle position on some old shimano cranks. Works fine. Not noisy at all so maybe chainline or tight chain or just unlucky with chain / chainring combination would be my guess

Dilwyn
    Free Member

Is the chainring new too? I had the same issue but it was because the chainring was slightly worn. I just turned it around and it’s been silent since.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I would go with Krytons suggestion . You do know that the wide teeth go between the outer chain links and the narrow teeth fit between the inner chain links .

cookeaa

Chain on the right way round? They are directional.

Otherwise, probably chain line, if you’re getting the noise higher up the cassette, look at spacing the ring a tad inboard perhaps…

sillyoldman

It’s most likely just a used ring on a new chain.

Try a new ring, or just flip the current one round.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Cookeaa, directional chains refer to machining on the edges of the inner plate to enhance shifting and should have no impact on how it interacts with front ring.

scruff
    Free Member

Probably new chain old ring grinding. I’ve put my BB spacer on the wrong side on porpoise, chainline better on larger cogs. Got an old works ring I put on wrong way after it started hooking. was fine so try flipping it round.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member
    I would go with Krytons suggestion . You do know that the wide teeth go between the outer chain links and the narrow teeth fit between the inner chain links

Seriously, this is a joke right? please dont make me pop outside to check mine

singlespeedstu

I wouldn’t bet on it.

You wouldn’t bet on it?
    Have you seen what happens when you try to put the chain on wrong?
    It just skips the ring and drops into the correct position.
    I have a Works ring with XT 11 and it was very noisy to start with but has got better with time.
    Mrs stu has the same setup fitted at the same time with a different NW ring and it’s been almost silent from the off.

st

All sorted now.

The solution is in this thread but after a bout of cockwomblery I’ll be staying embarrassingly quiet about what it was. Next ride should be a lot smoother now.

Cheers all!

thered

Hahahahahaha, chain on wrong way wasn’t it.

What’ve you had?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Seriously, this is a joke right? please dont make me pop outside to check mine

No joke .

OP you really can’t leave us hanging like that .

thered

Sorry that sounds harsh, wasn’t meant to.

We all remember when I routed my chain through my rear mech incorrectly. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

It wasn’t routed incorrectly, it wasn’t routed through it at all. 😛

Daffy

OP – You had the chain going in front of that little metal pin on the rear mech rather than behind it?

tallmart10

I am just pleased with the ‘cockwomblery’ word. I shall use it in conversation in future.

And that you fixed your issue, op. Obvs.

endurokid
    Free Member

XT M8000 here, and same issues as OP. Mech, cassette, chain, shifter and ring were all new. I’m pretty happy with the chain length so not sure what to think.

Until recently I was running X0 10 speed which was a dream, and it ran absolutely silent.

I’m putting mine down to having tighter tolerances with 11 speed, and the fact that XT isn’t as refined as X0.

toronte
    Free Member

I have the same issue, however I couldn’t fit the narrow plates on the wide teeth. Looks impossible from where I’m standing.
    (OneUp ring, Ultegra chain)

philxx1975
    Free Member

Odd number o chainlinks on an even number tooth chainring, basically once per revolution there’s a fat tooth trying to get in a narrow link

Go and count the links

scotroutes

😆

Brilliant, keep them coming – but only after you describe how you get an odd number of chainlinks and how you join the chain

sillyoldman

Unless you’ve got a half-link in there, that’s not possible.

singlespeedstu

Odd number o chainlinks on an even number tooth chainring,

That’s why I always go for 29, 31 or 33 tooth with my N/W chainrings.

scotroutes

That’s why I always go for 29, 31 or 33 tooth with my N/W chainrings.[/quote]Yep. And if there are only even-numbered chainrings around, I just saw one tooth off.

singlespeedstu

I just saw one tooth off.

Narrow tooth or wide tooth?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘11 speed XT & narrow wide chainring issue’ is closed to new replies.