Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Narrow 29er mud tyres?
  • metters
    Free Member

Just wondering what people use for that sticky mountain mayhem type mud on 29ers- particularly for racing in really thick mud? Is there an equivalent of the black shark mud/continental XC 1.5 tyre? I’m just planning ahead…It seems most 29er mud tyres are 2.0 or wider…

psling
    Free Member

What width rims? You could always use 700C CX tyres 8)

chunkypaul
    Free Member

known a couple of mates just stick on cyclo cross tyres on a GF Rig when the going got tough – worked fine for them

steve_b77
    Free Member

They have to be a minimum of 1.5″ wide so you may struggle with 35mm cross tyres, to comply you’d need to have a minimum of 38mm wide ones

Sam

45mm Dugast Rhino XL are the ultimate, but an involved process… Maxxis Beavers are the best race mud tyres I’ve used. I don’t know of anything as narrow as you are talking about.

I wasn’t aware there was a minimum tyre width requirement for mtb races?

steve_b77
    Free Member

I should’ve added that the minimum width applies to Mountain Mayhem.

Think I’ll be picking up a set of Beavers for this year, that is if Specialized don’t come out with a storm in 29’er

metters
    Free Member

Thanks- sounds like not a lot out there at the moment- love Dugasts but don’t fancy tubulars on my MTB…

psling
    Free Member

If it’s frame clearance that you’re thinking about, you could always drop a 26″ wheel in the back and increase your tyre choices… 😯

scud
    Free Member

I used Bontrager Mud-X they are a skinny 2.o inches, cheap as chips as well.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Narrow 29er mud tyres?’ is closed to new replies.