Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • n + 1 What do it all road/light off road/winter bike?
  • ahsat

Ok already have Nicolai Helius, Cotic Soul and road bike. However in a classic case of n + 1, I’m wondering about a do it all bike for when the weather and conditions are a bit naff. So something that moves pretty quick along the road but can also manage the odd old railway line and green lane and isn’t terrifying in the wet (like my road bike). Had thought Cotic Roadrat but having read some other threads not sure thats right. Any ideas?

benji
    Free Member

It’s simple a cyclocross bike, Cotic X, it’s a more rugged roadrat.

m0rk
    Free Member

Genesis Day One disc?

ahsat

The otherhalf had a Kona CX for a bit which I really didnt like. I need something with a bit of give – a steel CX might be an idea indeed.

bol

Any cross bike with mudguard mounts will do the job. Usual materials rules apply. If you want it to be lightish and fairly robust, I’d go for something ally. I’m currently loving my Kinesis Pro6 for this purpose, but lots of other options out there too.

Edit: adding a springy carbon post like a Spesh Pave takes a lot of the harshness away without the added weight of steel. I had a Cotic X before the Kenisis, and think the latter is the better all rounder. And I’m a Cotic fanboi.

Houns

Pro 6 +1

boblo
    Free Member

I bought this for a byways/winter road/something a bit different bike. Bit heavier than a der bike but potentially lower maintenance/longer lasting drivetrain. I put guards on and changed the tyres for Marathon’s. So far no complaints.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not sure of your budget but specialized do a cross bike with sram s-700 hydro discs and 2×10.

I’m just gutted that they’re not importing the full on road version.

ahsat

Views on a cross bike with flat bars? I dont really get on with drops.

gee
    Free Member

Kinesis Crosslight Pro6.

Amazing everywhere (my standard winter ride bike, nice mix of road and N Downs trails) and as it’s not made of steel it’s light, too.

A cross bike with flat bars is just a 29er with skinny tyres and horrible geometry.

GB

jimmy

Just bought a croix de fer for this job.

ahsat

A cross bike with flat bars is just a 29er with skinny tyres and horrible geometry.

Maybe I just need the right drop set up then

Onzadog
    Free Member

I felt the same about drops until I tried some fsa omega and got them at the right height. Now the drops are as comforable as the hoods.

clubber
    Free Member

Views on a cross bike with flat bars? I dont really get on with drops.

I always read that as “I’ve always ridden drops on bikes that either don’t fit me or I’m not used to yet”. especially when said by women as it usually means the bars are too low / long…

ahsat

I always read that as “I’ve always ridden drops on bikes that either don’t fit me or I’m not used to yet”. especially when said by women as it usually means the bars are too low / long…

You may well be right. I have drops on my Trek 2.1 (just as off the peg). I ride mens bikes as a 5’9″ women I find womens bikes in general are just not big enough. It may be that the reach is too long, mainly between the bars and the brake levers for my womanly hands. I also just feel a bit apprehensive about the riding position being slung so low over the bike.

clubber
    Free Member

Cross bike with cross top brake levers on the tops of the bars gives more confidence for more technical bits.

oldnpastit

Surly Cross Check.

I recently bought a second-hand frame and I’m very happy with it. Very nice to ride, and lots of different ways to set it up (massive clearance, geared or ss, rackmounts, etc). Ideal if you can’t make up your mind about what you want.

I think the geometry is a bit unusual – it’s kind of longer than I expected. I’d go and find a bike shop that’s selling one to check the sizing.

clubber
    Free Member

And just back to your original post, if you find a road bike terrifying in the rain

Fatter/grippier tyres at lower pressure
    Higher / shorter position

oldnpastit

It may be that the reach is too long, mainly between the bars and the brake levers for my womanly hands.

Try a few different bars, maybe you need some with a lower reach. Also, all brake levers are not the same size which can make a difference.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I have a flat bar roadrat, I built it with CXP22s on disc hubs so I can run it with everything from 23mm tyres to cross tyres and I have hope mini monos – I’m not restricted to cable discs or converters as you would be on a drop bar bike.

I built it as a blingy pub bike/commuter/tow-path-and-bridleway-bike a few years ago and wouldn’t part with it. It’s even been used for winter training when I need more grip than I get from my road bike tyres.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Whyte Saxon Cross does the job for me, surprising just what abuse it can take offroad.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Here’s mt Rat…

[/URL

ahsat

Cheers for some good advice. Going to see if I can find a Kinesis to try (not sure I can really afford one this side of Christmas at least); and also going to look at my existing bar set up and see if I can improve things. However, there is an argument that I have 3 very good bikes and I should just get out and ride!

boblo
    Free Member

Well the answer to that particular point is you’ll then have 4 very good bikes and be even happier 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

I got a Cotic X, awesome bike that beings you to trails previously regarded as dull and reminds you you have a lot to learn about riding bikes. Winter is nothing to be down about anymore. Wet weather gear, bring on the trails….

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

Ahh, but commutings different! You dont want to destroy your other bike. Plus it’s a mental thing- use your current road bike for commuting and suddenly everytime you go out for a ride on it your reminded of the long winter months where you’ve gpt your third puncture half-way late to work.

Also- why isnt anyone recommending a rigid 29er? Light, comfortable and far more capable! Stick some slick 1.5 and feel the speed!

ahsat

Interesting idea! Hadn’t thought about that. I can see that getting expensive though!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run a ti CX frame, running discs, with two sets of wheels. One for commuting/training and one set up with tubeless CX tyres for more offroady stuff. Works really well. Not a fan of alu frames myself, and steel is possible but can you keep the weight down …? Ti just seems perfect – supple, lasts well through the winter, tough.

billytinkle
    Free Member

Aren’t flat bar road bikes what our cousins on the continent use for commuting?

I thought it was only us Brits that were too tarty for this and used drop bar bikes for commuting when they may not be the most suitable?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’n not a fan of commuting on a mountain bike unless its a predominately off road commute. I’ve done it both ways and even a pretty crappy road bike is much better on the road than a decent MTB on slick tyres – even a 29er. It all depends upon what you mean by off road and how much of it you do. If its just canal tracks or cycle/cinder tracks then even a CX bike is a bit too much – something like a Road Rat can do that sort of duty just fine. But if it is more than just canal paths and cycle tracks then a CX bike would be great. A couple of guys at work have just cot Carbon Planet X CX bikes on C2W and they look great.

ahsat

Getting back on track, I’m not wanting a commuter! I don’t commute in winter as its over 18 miles each way and I don’t feel safe in the dark on the railway lines. I’m just looking for something to rides on those days or nights when its just too boggy to plough through mud on the mountain bike, but is quicker than some 2″+ tyres on the road. For example – 20 mile ride round the edge of the North Pennines – hilly roads with some railway lines (County Durham has a lot!) and the odd bridleway/muddy field/woodland track to link it all up.

Ti would be wonderful, but don’t think I could justify it!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m just looking for something to rides on those days or nights when its just too boggy to plough through mud on the mountain bike, but is quicker than some 2″+ tyres on the road.

You still need a CX bike then, IMO.

It’s great being able to shred the BWs and towpaths in between road bits.

😉

ahsat

That Planet X looks really interesting, and I could also get it on cycle2work (once my new contract comes through!). Hummmmm…..

I like the look of the 2×10 and the discs (even if they are mechanical)

ahsat

Think I need a Kinesis/Planet X tour to the depths of Yorkshire to have a look and a try! Thinking this may be an idea, but have to say my experience of riding rigid has been mixed so defiantly need to try before I buy!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The OP’s aim sounds similar to the n+1 bike I’m currently building. Kinesis 5T CX frame (when it arrives next month), bull bars and 1×7 using an old downtube shifter I had kicking around mounted on a Paul Components thumbie converter.

ahsat

The Canyon Inflite 8 also looks good. I can see the advantages of a cyclocross! Ok, I’ll go and have a proper look at some. Thanks for the ideas.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘n + 1 What do it all road/light off road/winter bike?’ is closed to new replies.