Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • My wheel jig
  • MrsMugsy
    Free Member

I got the idea that I wanted to build wheels. Husband gave me the Musson book. I started by the beginning which involves building a jig. Good fun it was and I’m really proud. I wanted to share.

Now I’ve got to build wheels….

nixie

Very nice, been meaning to make one of those for a while.

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

It was easy to make, especially with mdf which is easy to work with

RobHilton
    Free Member

Nicely done. Seriously good book that.

I thought I’d give it a go without making the stand and turned my bike upside down to make a front wheel – glad I didn’t make the stand as I didn’t enjoy the wheel building half as much as I’d expected and will be doing as little wheel building as poss in the future.

Just got to motivate myself to build the rear one now 😐

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

It might be that building the jig was more fun than building wheels will be….

boxfish
    Free Member

I started building wheels about a year ago after downloading the Musson book. 2 wheelsets built so far and I’m addicted. The key for me is to only work on a wheel if I’m in the mood to do it. This has meant that one newly laced wheel sat in the jig for 6 weeks while I procrastinated. At the other end of the scale, the last one I put together took 2.5 hours from start to finish because I was really up for doing it. Unbelieveably (to me), I’ve only had a couple of loose spokes on one of those 4 wheels. The rest have stayed true and taut. For some reason, I always thought of wheelbuilding as some arcane art practiced only by learned initiates. The reality is, that given time and patience, it’s pretty straightforward.

Nice jig by the way!

dale
    Free Member

nice stand, I built one similar, I found wheel building a magical thing. Take youre time, tweak the tension when finished, a nice antidote to a busy family life.Still riding them after nearly two years, most satisfying…………enjoy !!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘My wheel jig’ is closed to new replies.