Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • My son is going to Download tomorrow – will he die…
  • kimbers

mrs toast I was at that one

but this was my first…….

didnt bother with aerosmith we found a quiet spot and smoked our tiny piece of hash

bog roll, wet wipes, alcohol hand gel

Cougar

Condoms – but my son is a sweet innocent young lad that does not do ‘that sort of thing’… Should I get some for him.

I don’t know about your father / son relationship, but if I were going to a concert as a teenager and my dad went “here you go son, something for the weekend” I’d have been mortified.

singletrackgrace
    Free Member

I went in 2010. He’ll be fine. There’s always someone smellier and more tentless than you.

I recommend bringing more cash than he think he’ll need. Even if he takes food, the £5-a-slice pizza there is often unbearable to resist. He’ll have a great time. 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

He’ll be fine. Today’s kids have gone soft 😉
    First time I went, 1995 we had to hunker down at the front whilst a battle raged with bottles of piss, and some even filled with sand (a half-brick essentially) and my mate got hit by half a watermelon. We then managed to survive 90 mins in the moshpit to Metallica.
    Second time I went, last year, it appears that all that had gone out of fashion – lots of standing around watching and moshing appears to have been replaced by running around in a circle, in the same direction!
    I fear for our youth, I really do 🙂

mattbee

I went to Donnington ’95 too, ended up copping off witha girl who’d lost her friends whilst drunk on smuggled in vodka. Good times…

Sandwich

I have had the “condom” talk with Sandwich Jr. Oh it was fun 😈

He said to his mother “Let us never speak of such things again”. My work here is done!

spchantler
    Free Member

first festie? 7 years old at nenthead….on my own at scoraig at 16, that was a festie, tarquin.

Pigface
    Free Member

Rammstein on Sunday 😆

darrell
    Free Member

twas my first rock festival

totally brilliant

garage-dweller

Warn him that beer coloured liquid being launched over the crowd is not in fact beer although it may have an alement of ‘recycled’ beer in it.

I went in 1994 and 1995 and had a great time. Never felt unsafe as despite the crazyness nealy everyone i encountered was behaving like a decent human being.

All the practical stuff has been covered.

garage-dweller

Kimbers – didnt bother with Aerosmith you phillistine!

Contributing to the booing of extreme I could understand.

My first experience of a big crowd mosh pit. Tee hee hee. It was the heat that caught me out. And the flying piss!

bigdean

[video]http://youtu.be/-mTcgwKo4rQ[/video]
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-mTcgwKo4rQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-mTcgwKo4rQ[/video]

MrsToast
    Free Member

mrs toast I was at that one

but this was my first…..

I really wanted to go to that one because it had Pantera, Sepultura and Biohazard. Had to settle for listening to it on Radio 1 and putting the posters from the Kerrang! special the following week to decorate my art folder. *sniff*

I threw a strawberry yoghurt cupcake at Seb Bach during Skid Row’s set in ’95, because I was proper metal and didn’t go in for all that hair malarkey (although I’ve developed an appreciation for it as I’ve gotten older…)

At Donington ’96, we watched Kiss for 10 minutes, decided they were shit and went for a burger. ROCK AND ROLLL!!!

Ozzfest ’98 was ace as well, for the massive Mexican Wave and general ignoring of the Foo Fighters! 😆

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

dont take anything you cant afford to lose.

First nights are notorious for tent thefts – dont have alot of cash in the tent – normally there are cash machines on site. I take the position that yes its costs me £2 or so to get cash out each day, but thats a pitance compared to some of the guys in tents around us who had £100-£200 stolen over night on the first day of the festival by the gangs that buy tickets, knowing they can steal enough cash to make a profit.

Cougar

Contributing to the booing of extreme I could understand.

I was there for that. They made their bed.

There was a discontent before they came on that they weren’t overly welcome, but when they came on they were well received.

Unfortunately, Gary Cherone had clearly got wind of it and had a right chip on his shoulder, his approach to dealing with it was to treat everyone with contempt and essentially go “we know you don’t want us here but **** you.” It was only at that point that the crowd turned and everyone started booing. It was nothing to do with the band and everything to do with their shitty attitude.

Cougar

First nights are notorious for tent thefts – dont have alot of cash in the tent

Keep any valuables in your sleeping bag overnight. Safest place for your money when you’re asleep is next to your feet.

emsz
    Free Member

My first was Reading 2007. Dan le Sac and Crystal Castles were highlights, I was 16 and it was pretty grim 😆 Been to glasto with mum and dad since I was about 3, was one of those bratty kids you could see running wild like a pack of dogs!!

My kit is wellies ( regardless) emergency tampon, cash. never bothered with tent or sleeping bag.

AdamW
    Free Member

I live in Long Eaton, near CD. I’ll hear it for free anyway, no doubt!

WackoAK
    Free Member

My first one at the age of 15, it was all in the one day.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

good on your and your son, alteast he’s cool and going to a festival with proper LOUD music 😉

cakefacesmallblock

Download these days will seem like a church fete compared with some of the gigs from years ago. Led Zeppelin et al, Knebworth ’79, for instance. Nuts, but fun.

He’ll be fine.

porter_jamie

1987. seems like such a long time ago now. all in one day, and all on one stage. tickets £16 on the day.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

he might not die from anything that happens at the festival…..but I’ll bloody kill him if he makes me miss my flight from EMA on Sunday!

bigbadbob
    Free Member

Well folks, he is away down to Download. I made him read these replies last night, hopefully he has taken some of the stuff in, they never listen to their parents, so I told him listen to this lot, they have done it, they have been there. I think he took something in anyway. Byetheway, can you take booze in or will he have to drink all his cans on the way in…

Northwind

emsz – Member

My first was Reading 2007. Dan le Sac and Crystal Castles were highlights

You ****ing what? Nine Inch Nails on the big stage booted it so far out of the park, Trent’s mum made him buy them a new ball.

tomhoward

IME you can take booze into the campsite area (no glass though) but not into the main arena. That is at Leeds though, and there are many ways to sneak it in if you are determined 🙂

MrsToast
    Free Member

Well folks, he is away down to Download. I made him read these replies last night, hopefully he has taken some of the stuff in, they never listen to their parents, so I told him listen to this lot, they have done it, they have been there. I think he took something in anyway. Byetheway, can you take booze in or will he have to drink all his cans on the way in…

They used to make you pour away ANY drink at the entrance, alcoholic or not, unless it was in a plastic square container (like the huge cordial bottles). Not sure what the rules are now though.

Oh, and tell him that in 15 years time he can look forward to bitching about how Donington is crap compared to when he used to go! 😛

Cougar

I threw a strawberry yoghurt cupcake at Seb Bach during Skid Row’s set in ’95

Is that why he ran on stage, slipped, and rapidly exited the other side of the stage on his arse?

Tallpaul
    Free Member

My favourite memory from Donnington ’95 was someone managing to hit Slash with a slice of watermelon. Good times.

emsz
    Free Member

Northwind, not much of a NIN fans soz 😳

I think it was smashing pumpkins…? Anyway

Lifer
    Free Member

Daphne & Celeste at Reading (’99? ’00?) was something to behold. Fairplay they lasted the 15mins required to get paid, but not a second more. 😆

TiRed

dont take anything you cant afford to lose.

This.

My friend had to go to Reading with a replacement tent and contents for his 18yo son after the first day! Someone just scooped up the tent and walked off with all the contents. Go with the cheapest you can throw away – pop up, single skinned. Don’t take valuables.

tomhoward

Well, how did it go?

40mpg

My daughter went with her mate (both 17). Said it was all old people – I think that was just the bands!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, how did it go?

More specifically, did he score?

gmex619
    Free Member

2 Questions..

1) Is he dead?

2) If the answer too the above is no, did he score/bring home a bunch of cans.. Last one I went too I left with more beer than I took!

weare138
    Free Member

I went to Donnington in 1984 for my first festival… If went dark about 4pm when the sky was blocked out by a huge piss bottle fight. I got hit by a bag a sick.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When Thunder blew everyone else away!

Pigface
    Free Member

Rammstein were very very good from all accounts

edlong
    Free Member

I threw a strawberry yoghurt cupcake at Seb Bach during Skid Row’s set in ’95
    Is that why he ran on stage, slipped, and rapidly exited the other side of the stage on his arse?

I think that (Bach running onto the stage and landing on arse) was ’92? I’m assuming he learnt from it and didn’t make sliding on piss part of their Donnington show as standard?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘My son is going to Download tomorrow – will he die…’ is closed to new replies.