• This topic has 54 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Zone.
Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • my short term daily commute. Anyone go further??
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

ruddy heck!

I used to do a 30 mile round trip, averaged 18-19mph over rolling hills, followed by a flat out, dead straight blast allong the flood plains.

Wish my knee would function properly, I'm only manageing 6.5 miles a day at a middling pace 9its uphill all the way into work and downhill all the way home so pointless working out speeds.

woffle
    Free Member

mine's from my Garmin 705 configured for the right wheelsize for the Airnimal (24") – the routes are usually Sussex/Kent country roads with no traffic lights and the morning leg starts at about 4:15am so no traffic and the afternoon / evening routes are on back roads too so light traffic as well. The only things, aside from hills, that slows me down are the occasional suicidal badger / fox / rabbit / deer etc.

The 1.5 miles I do in London every day average at around 9mph as there are six sets of lights between my office and the railway station…

john_l
    Free Member

I meant the 20mph+ averages….

crazy-legs

I can average 19mph moving on my way in on a roadie SS. It's mostly downhill. On the way home I average about 15-16 moving but obviously that average will drop if I was just to leave the computer running due to time stopped at traffic lights.

For the first time in, well, ever!, I was absolutely thrashed last night. Caught up to a guy on a PlanetX full carbon road bike, full DuraAce, fancy wheels, Assos kit, Garmin 705 and a little rucksack. Came out of the traffic and he put the hammer down and bang, he was gone. Anyway, 5 mins of me pedalling my little heart out, I caught him up again and we rode together through middling traffic, had a brief chat. I got the jump on him through some heavy traffic and lights and carried on at my normal cruising pace. A minute later he rode past like I was standing still. Very very fast. Git.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I can confirm that Raddude is fit and fast as ****.

He rode the Keilder 100 on an All Mountain bike and came 11th or something. If I wanted to have any more babies, they would be his. 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

Does it make you fast, or does it give you good endurance?

Well it's certainly helped my endurance as I can do a 100+ mile ride at a decent speed without having to do any bigger rides before hand.

As for speed, well I'm nowhere near the op's level but its been a while since I've been passed on my commute by another cyclist and if I see someone on the distance on a bike I've not failed to catch and pass them. I generally like the faster folk I can reel in slowly rather than the grannies on shoppers, I love the thrill of the chase. 😉

zaskar
    Free Member

Nice one radioggair thats really impressive and gives me an idea where I need to be. Gets in a car…

I've been injured but my first ride I averaged 18mph for 30 miles but it was flat. Did my 2nd ride yesterday with 44 miles hilly and I think it took ages 4hrs+ lol

Do you ride daily to work? 5 days a week?

Inspiration to us! oh and I hate you lol (kidding) :mrgreen:

Well done you guys.

radoggair
    Free Member

Do you ride daily to work? 5 days a week?

Yeah 5 days a week then on my days off mtb. Its mentally challenging in the winter to take the bike although its freezing and peeing down with rain. The first 10 mins are the worst till you warm up

Felt quite tired today TBH, averaged 21.6 there although there's a few stretches of 3 or 4 miles where you average 28 – 30 mph. Way home tonight was tough,headwind and tired legs but stll got 17.3mph average although that included negotiating Edinburgh anti hate cyclist or any kind of continous moving vehicles traffic lights and popping into the shop to get a euromillion ( maybe i've won).

i have the stop/start function switched off so it continues running when i'm stopped

Also, the planet x carbon is quite a nice forgiven ride and quite comfortable to do miles on, just wish the roads were the same

zaskar
    Free Member

I guess it was the end of the week and you might be getting tired but it is quite windy in some places but still fast at 21.6mph lol

I guess you need to make sure your nutrition is spot on for recovery and rest on rest days.

I'm preparing for winter rides and commutes by riding now and buying warm stuff cheap now.

Some roads in Bristol are ace and some are still suffering from WW2 lol

My roadbike is aluminum but hoping to get carbon when I'm up to speed.

Thanks for the info-gives us solo road riders a wake up call that we need to push (I mean pedal harder)

radoggair
    Free Member

now even i am impressed today……. averaged 24.4 mph there. It was the sunniest day in the world and i felt quite good after the first horrid 5 miles of my ride.

Nutrition is weird for me. I always have a frijj fudge brownie milkshake after my ride and i have started drinking accelerate during my ride (although it makes my mouth very dry). Apart from that i seem to eat a load of crap for my food. Today for instance i had 2 bits fo toast and syrup for breakfast, a chicken breast and bacon burger for tea followed by a waffle with chocolate fudge sauce. Not exactly the diet of a pro. What i have noticed though is that when i'm on my bike i really enjoy it, even the pain of pushin hard. guess i've got my mojo just now so gonna get value for money before it disappears ( hopefully it doesn't)

Aldi on Thursday for winter gear i guess

Smee
    Free Member

What exactly are you training for?

AB
    Free Member

That's really very impressive. I used to train with a local bunch where I live in Lanarkshire called the Bundy. Many of those guys were, and still are, top level Scottish Amateur road racers and with that kind of performance you would comfortably be near the front of their training rides.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I hope you have a shower when you get to work 😯

radoggair
    Free Member

That's really very impressive. I used to train with a local bunch where I live in Lanarkshire called the Bundy

I'm local to that area as well and have been out with them a few times. There's prob 2 or 3 of them that can climb better than me and i can stick with the 'peleton' behind those lot. Generally ride in the top half of the bunch so i do my time at the front ( at least 3 or 4 leads). You end up travelling at some pace but its good fun. Hill leading to Lanark on the other hand isn't

I hope you have a shower when you get to work

lucky enough to have a vacant flat at work with bedroom, bathroom etc ( restaurant business so alot have accommodation built in)

What exactly are you training for?

Just to get fit, started enjoying doing events after not doing any for 10+ years, and the fitter i am the better i enjoy it. May start racing again next year.

Zone
    Free Member

I just checked my ride diary… 😳 I know..sad and it was on Excel 😳

the ride home was 27 miles and generally it took 1hr and 12 minutes.. door to door.

fantastic ride home though..tail wind many days… gradual descent for the last 6 of the last 12 miles,The start was a sprint down dual a carriageway topping out at 38mph and carried the speed through country lanes for about the first 15 minutes of the ride.

I don't see anything odd about the ride speed though… I know numerous riders locally to me who could wipe the floor with that… 🙁

It usually worked out at about 22 to 22.5 mph average ..

Record was 1hr 9mins 30secs…ish about 23.3mph average great ride that day…never did it again though….

8) Always faster going home though !! 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘my short term daily commute. Anyone go further??’ is closed to new replies.