Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Show me your Fixie….
  • Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

thinking of building up a fixie to commute along the canal and doss to and from the train when i cant be arsed riding all of it. thinking of track frame with charge nozzle forks, cut risers (defo not using starter bars, fakenger look isnt for me) and CX tires for blasting along the canal, looking for inspiration.

trail_rat
    Free Member

old one

new one in SS mode , but fixed now !

Olly
    Free Member

not wanting to look like a fakenger but cutting risers?

alpin
    Free Member

put this to gether for not very much. found an old bike in a bush. salvaged what i could. own paint/sticker job plus a rack for lugging stuff and voila!

have to fit a new bearing after the one in the Surly flip-flop hub disintergrated. i iwas thinking about finding some knobblies as the frame is more of a gentleman’s bike, not a road bike, and the lack of good single track here; more forest roads.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

fakengers have starter bars, hipsters have cut down risers, but im not cutting them toooo short. defo not a fakenger.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

“fakengers have starter bars, hipsters have cut down risers,”

LOL you have thought into this waaaaay to much any more pigeon holes you want to add?

its all farting around on bikes ….

are you a free rider or an all mountain rider when your on your mtb…

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

fixie to ride on the canal, strong forks and bars i can control but not to wide. not really niche or “pigeon” hole’d

and captain toilet flush, this isnt a bash evans thread, why are you contributing, or not……

sc-xc

Used most work days for the last three years.

kimbers

not wanting to look like a fakenger, but building up a fixie?

CFH hit the nail on the head with his pic

sc-xc

^ to me it’s about having something I can leave outside all day & night, zero maintenance and not appealing to thieves. It does 100 miles most weeks, sorry if it offends.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the people on here suggesting that you’d only want a fixed wheel bike for fashion reasons sound more image-conscious than the people posting their utility/town/errand bikes!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

what sc-cx has with maybe different forks so i could run CX tires and different bars is spot on for what im looking at. cheers for that!

momentum
    Free Member

WTF are starter bars?

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

kimbers, why would you think that? i want a fixie because its mostly flat to work along the canal, i have commuted on a fixie SS CX bike before so i know its perfect, just want something not to flash, that doesnt attract to much attention, and doesnt need that much maintenance or looking after.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Mine cost me ‘nowt but bar tape and tyres (Mate works at a recycle-a-bike so we scavenged the rest, including a dura ace track hub and a nice brookes saddle!). Was fun using the angle grinder on the riveted chainset 😈

Rides well for the 3 mile commute to work.

too many people seem to care about labels on here. Who cares? just ride yer bike!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

Trail Rat, Alpin, GK, all cracking bikes……..

trail_rat
    Free Member

I like that

I would have had another roadie conversion but finding frames with suitable dropouts and in a 58 cm top tube/64 seat tube was a complete mare – been looking for about a year …. my puch up there was a 54 TT and was just too cramped !

BigJohn

This was in February when the garage phoned me at work and said they’d welded the chainstay on my Soul, and the postie delivered my serviced fork to the office, and it was a Friday so I had to get it all home.

I’d previously popped into the butchers so there was about 5lb of meat in the pannier as well. Trackstands were a bit shaky.

I thought it was an odd box that Magura used to send the fork back in…

BigJohn

I’ve also taken it halfway round follow the dog in the above mode (in Feb, while waiting for the frame and fork to come back) – mudguards, slick tyres and panniers. Got a few “you can’t go down there mate” warnings. It was really only the berms which were a worry. If you go into them high, with road tyres and sloooowwwwly, you do tend to slide down a bit.

bedmaker

Looks fairly horrid, thats the idea though isnt it?

Its actually a nice frame, Reynolds 531cs, which feels very different to plain guage 531 and I built a nice wheelset for it(Hope/XT on open pros)
    Used for popping out to the shops and the odd training run.

andywhit
    Free Member

Whoa! My eyes etc. 😉

epo-aholic
    Free Member

nunuboogie
    Free Member

still experimenting 🙂

Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

got drops on for summer now though.

samuri
    Free Member

make sure you put brakes on it. No rider can stop as fast as brakes can. And we all know, in the city you need to stop fast sometimes. I personally think the death rate amongst *professional or otherwise fakeingers* courier riders in the city would be halved overnight if they just started fitting brakes to their bikes. Macho time is over, fit at least a front brake and accept that after riding around for 8 hours, grabbing the front rim with your fingers that are sensitive enough to read **** brail for christs sake, have more modulation than your legs, you freaking idiots.

I’m a hardened fixie (on and offroad) rider and would no more ride anywhere without brakes (other than a ‘drome) than I would dangle my knob in a shark birthing pool while shouting ‘all eels think sharks are ****’

trail_rat
    Free Member

looking back …. my old ones the only one that “didnt have” a brake ….

it was only cause i didnt have a lever for that photo … a long drop mated to a V brake lever was fitted a couple days later before going riding on it !

Mrs.Butcher
    Free Member

should have mentioned, had the fork drilled and brake fitted now.

higgo
    Free Member

Here’s mine.

I’ve since changed the bars. Those old road drops were just too narrow, particularly when I needed to get out of the saddle for hills. Frame, fork and wheels came from Freecycle and everything else from my spares box so I treated it to some nice (Nitto) track bars. Not for the looks – we don’t have enough ‘real’engers where I live for me to be a fakenger – but because they put my hands where I want them.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

will defo have a front brake, no mither…..

rolfharris
    Free Member

Manchester trev- something like this? This is my commuter bike and it’s really cool. It has a rack now and black grips but considering it was built up of left overs from work it’s not so bad.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Condor Pista bought through the B2W 5ish years ago. Simple, fast, reliable. Done well over 20k miles now. The spec has changed a little since this pic was taken, but not in any major way.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Fixie….’ is closed to new replies.