Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • my inaugural bike packing trip
  • MadBillMcMad

Commuted in to work today setting off last night in order to test my gear.

A few photos here – https://goo.gl/photos/bypFUGJFiB7fyAJP6

All my kit weighed in at 11kg. That is absolutely everything extra (except water & me) on top of the bike. IE tools,spares,food,cooker,tent,bag,clothes & kits bags.

How does that compare with other peoples set ups ?

nbt

*inaugural

you still have time to edit. get in there

MadBillMcMad

obviously I forgot to pack the spell checker

fooman

I like the frame bag is that custom? Great to keep the weight low for bike handing…

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve not weighed the kit I’ve taken but to some extent it depends on the weather at the time. Also depends on whether you want to be properly cosy or are doing some kind of race where you might put up with a bit of discomfort.

Constant process of learning IMO: go through the kit you took – did you use all of it? Was there something you should have taken? Did everything perform in the way expected? That sort of thing.

I’ve got a sleeping bag, mat and tarp setup that weighs about 1100g – fine for summer but if it was frosty then I’d be using my winter bag, a bivvy bag and possibly a heavier duty sleeping mat so the weight would be closer to 4Kg.

You can apply the above to other areas of kit, there’s no one right solution, even on the same night, stopping in the same place two people would have a different level of requirements and kit. What’s right for you might be wrong for me.

vorlich
    Free Member

Careful, you have the huffy ‘it’s called touring’ people attacking you.

Haven’t weighed my kit, I just use what I have, so I know I could just the weight. Love my Trailstar, but their are much lighter/smaller options out there.

Biggest item for me is my luxury item, my SLR (front of bars). It’s a monster, but I can’t afford to buy a decent compact ATM. Not willing to settle for phone quality pics. 😉

MadBillMcMad

@fooman it is made by beerbabe.co.uk from recycled inner tubes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘my inaugural bike packing trip’ is closed to new replies.