Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • My hand is going numb riding!
  • rhid

As above really, my right hand is starting to go numb on my mornng commute. I assume its due to too much pressure on part of my palm.

Whats the best way to sort this out? My bike is a relatively new build so I can alter a few things to see if that helps, the question is what to alter?

I can change stem height, bar width, bar rise height and saddle position. Am I right in thinking that it would be best to relieve some pressure off my hands? It seems to make sense in my mind but in a practical situation would shortening the cockpit giving me a more upright riding postion help?

Any tips would be great.

Rhid

organic355
    Free Member

just pretend someone else is riding your bike and enjoy the feeling.

rhid

Good thinking.

organic355
    Free Member

Is it drop bars or straight?

tinsy
    Free Member

What kid of bars? drops or MTB bars?

If the latter try ESI grips or Ergon.

I can change stem height, bar width, bar rise height and saddle position

Yes & no, in my opinion you need to set your saddle in the position thats right for pedalling, then work on the rest of the setup.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Gloves? Carpal tunnel?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I get this a lot. I was told it was carpel tunnel syndrome and that the only way to relieve it was to not ride the bike.

Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha,

😀

Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha,

😯

Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, Haha, haha, 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

See it as an opportunity, apparenty a numb hand feels like someone else. 😈

whyterider19
    Free Member

Getting some pressure off your hands is what it’s is going to take. Compressing your ulnar nerve in the palm of your hand is probably what is causing the numbness. I had the same thing for a while there. Got it sorted by fettling with a number of small things:

– getting a stem with a little more rise
    – some Ergon supportive grips
    – making sure my saddle was nice and level (so as not to tip me forward placing more pressure on my hands)
    – slightly shortening the width of my bars so there where around shoulder width, effectively raising my torso up
    – I also make a conscious effort to engage my core more and try not to just lean on my hands

Try simply moving your saddle forward by 5mm and see if it helps.

I have seen others have success with donning a pair of Specialized BG gloves or any glove that has some nice gel pads in the palm located over the fatty pads leaving the central channel free.

Flashy
    Free Member

I had this, still get it sometimes, but Specialized BG gloves and Oury or Superstar type grips really help……..

transapp
    Free Member

To cure this on riser bars, I firstly adjusted bar angle (tilting away worked for me) however to cure on very long rides, Ergon grips with built in bar ends. I look like an idiot but it works!

rhid

Thanks for the tips, I should have said the bars I use are low rise MTB bars. The problem only started when I switched bars and stem a while ago on my previous bike. May put slightly higher rise bars and shorter stem on and see what happens.

iainc

I would second the commenst re Spesh BG Gloves – the ulner padding makes a big difference

retro83
    Free Member

what angle are your wrists supposed to be at? i assume the ideal angle is just the same as if you rested your arm down naturally.

I think my wrists are getting painful due to lack of back/up sweep & too much width, so my wrists are sort of turned in when riding.

Joe

I also found ergon grips made a massive difference.

retro83
    Free Member

Do you find ergon grips prevent you being able to move your hand about enough when you’re standing up/riding downhill?

Flashy
    Free Member

I couldn’t get on with the Ergon Grips……long gone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘My hand is going numb riding!’ is closed to new replies.