Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • My enduro bike is a porker
  • chiefgrooveguru

All bike weight threads should be like this – confessionals about how our strong, stiff, long wheelbase, big wheeled, wide tyred, chunky forked, dropper post’d and piggyback shock’d bikes are inexplicably heavier than the bikes we had a few years back. 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

All bike weight threads should be like this – confessionals about how our strong, stiff, long wheelbase, big wheeled, wide tyred, chunky forked, dropper post’d and piggyback shock’d bikes are inexplicably heavier than the bikes we had a few years back

My name is PJM1974 and my 29er is a bloater. But I like it.

SirHC

Smuggler is 30lbs, built up with reliable kit that works. Only place where there is potential to save weight is the wheels. The Hope Tech Enduro’s are quite a porky rim (550g), Arch Mk3 are 450g, would make quite a difference.

kayak23

Rocket.
    A shade under 32lbs with the now fitted CCDBACS

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M2v4wS]Rocket[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

*Waves at Chris above.

Stevet1
    Free Member

All bike weight threads should be like this – confessionals about how our strong, stiff, long wheelbase, big wheeled, wide tyred, chunky forked, dropper post’d and piggyback shock’d bikes are inexplicably heavier than the bikes we had a few years back.

Early noughties was peak-pork for me. Bikes veered away from nineties light but crap offerings to heavy but good (largely thanks to one component – the Marzocchi Z1. (Has any component before or since had such an impact?)). we went through lighter and better in the late noughties which posed an issue to some and we are now well into the ‘look around the eyes not into my eyes look around the eyes this years bikes are better’ which is an ever more confusing world of same but different.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a change in attitude towards bike weight in the industry, certainly companies like Specialized have stopped speccing their long travel bikes with ultralight tubes and S-Works case tyres and have switched to realistically durable rubber.

I’m out on an LBS ride on Saturday, I might ask them to weigh my 29er…

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

I had a DH rig that was 50lbs. They all were over 40lbs back then. Not as many broke though!

timmys

My Santa Cruz Hightower CC with…
    135mm Monarch RT3
    150mm Pikes
    Pure C33 Carbon rims/Hope Pro4 hubs/CX sapim spokes
    Hope Tech X2 brakes/ float rotors
    Six C carbon bars
    XT single ring crankset/ Hope 44T Cassette/XT shifter/XT mech
    Fox Transfer post
    Rocket Ron/Nobby Nic both Snakeskin/tubeless
    DMR Vault Magnesium pedals
    SDG Duster Ti saddle

On my unscientific and non calibrated scales (first me then me with bike and deduction made) it comes in at 28lbs , pleasantly surprised , however I wouldn’t be surprised its not very accurate but in the ballpark area. I however weigh………..lots so its of little consequence in the overall scheme of things.

My very similar spec’ed Hightower (XL fame), came in at bang on 30 lbs on the bike shop scales so I think your method might be on the optimistic side.

bigbloke
    Free Member

My very similar spec’ed Hightower (XL fame), came in at bang on 30 lbs on the bike shop scales so I think your method might be on the optimistic side.

Yeah I never thought it was accurate and wouldn’t surprise me your right, it was just a look see. Yours the CC carbon frame or C Carbon out of interest?

timmys

Yeah I never thought it was accurate and wouldn’t surprise me your right, it was just a look see. Yours the CC carbon frame or C Carbon out of interest?

It’s a CC frame.

Carbon rims, bars, cranks. Same forks, hubs, spokes as you. I’m probably heavier than you on shock (Fox X2), pedals (non-Mg vaults), dropper (170 mm reverb) but lighter on drivetrain (XX1/XTR mix).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

YETIboyJAY – Member
    I had a DH rig that was 50lbs. They all were over 40lbs back then. Not as many broke though!

They did though just ask the guys racing them at the top level. Nearly all old intense got welded up, same with ih Sundays etc.
    Sc advertise a v10 at about 32lb and most of them seem to do very well

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Mike, I’m talking older than the Sunday, more in SGS times. Bikes like the Brooklyn RaceLink, Foes DHS Mono’s, Cortina DHE’s, proper old skool.

I had a V10C at 33lbs. It was incredible.

tomhoward

Bikes like this ‘all mountain’, ‘winch and plummet’ (as advertised) bike?

A full 49lbs. I commuted on it once. Once.

My FS ebike is lighter (and slacker…)

superfli
    Free Member

Managed to get my Enduro bike below 30lb, but thats only by getting a carbon frame, and still its only just below.
    Carbon Trans Patrol medium (s.deluxe shock)
    Xfusion Sweep HLR
    Carbon Lite Bicycle 31mm carbon rims, dtswiss DB, pro2
    Carbon Renthal fatbars
    XTR crank
    XT 10s shifter,mech
    Praxis cassette
    Chromag flat pedals
    Thomson 50mm stem
    Formula the one brakes
    BikeYoke Revive 125mm seatpost
    Charge spoon chrome saddle
    Spesh butcher/slaughter grid tyres

SRAM drivechain would save a bit of weight. lighter spokes I suppose. Rims are heavy for carbon, but I wanted toughest (still only 440g). Lighter saddle maybe. Not going light on tyres, they would puncture.

29.15lb

Any enduro bike much below 28lb is dubious IMO.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Those GT IT1’s were spectacularly sh*t, even back then 🙂

I have fond memories of my old Empire AP1. I seem to remember that thing being ~13lbs for the frame, it was some tank at about 45lbs. That said, it rode bloody well if you just pointed it at stuff.

My 26lb 29″ trail bike is also slacker, which amuses me.

tomhoward

The idea was good, centralised ‘gearbox’, suspension worked well, and you could monster truck through any obstacle/building

The application was the spectacularly shit bit, specifically having fixed drive from GB to rear wheel. Ever wanted to ride a bike with a working/moving (admittedly bladeless) chainsaw a couple of inches from your left leg?
    Then the proprietary kit (150x20mm left hand drive fixed rear hub?)
    Rear brake on backwards…
    Drag from the nexus hub
    XC angles by today’s standards
    Bit portly….

Zerode pretty much fixed all those issues with their DH hub GB though iirc

Weren’t those empires more flexible than the average contortionist?

deviant
    Free Member

Aluminum Giant Trance weighed today at 29lbs

Up from 26lbs early in the year as I’ve ditched the carbon roadie saddle for a Charge Spoon, swapped the carbon bars for Alu Renthals and fitted marginally wider new rims today.

Still not bad for a 160mm travel bike.
    It’ll get heavier over winter, I’ve ordered a coil shock and I’ve got some old school coil spring 36s to go on the front too!….maintenance free winter with a FS hopefully.

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘My enduro bike is a porker’ is closed to new replies.