Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • My enduro bike is a porker
  • oldtalent
    Free Member

34.4lb!! Ok so its was intended as a strong build rather than light, I’m sure the poverty spec sram gx 12 speed isnt light, nor the xfusion metric forks, or saint brakes, or stans flow rims plus it has a sprinking of mud, but come on! Maybe I have put too much stans fluid in the tyres.
    EDIT Airdrop frame.
    Anyone else had a shock when they weighted theirs?

tomhoward

what frame?

i was a little miffed when my Pivot 429SL came in at 27lbs (its an xc race bike, blurb said sub 23lb build possible) but then its got a 170mm reverb, fairly porky tyres and 120mm 34s.

still ****ing rapid though

woodster

34lbs which is aaa lot considering it’s 135mm of travel and the money in it. It’s got carbon and XTR bits, surely that means it has to be sub-30. I just look at the places where I could ave weight and realise I don’t want to sacrifice the performance so the other option is simply to get fitter.

tall_martin

I just look at the places where I could ave weight and realise I don’t want to sacrifice the performance so the other option is simply to get fitter.

This! Former 36lb coil/ coil giant reign. Current 32lb orange segment 🙂

kimbers

On one carbon bars save 100g, wait until they are on sale.

Slx cranks, saved 200g over the cheap stock SRAM ones.
    Better saddle, wtb volt pro was 100g saved over the OEM I’ve
    Wheels are probably the next bit

Flow mk3s are an impressive strength/weight/price option

Or light bicycle carbons and some posher hubs with triple butted spokes, but getting pricey…

jamesoz

What you need is an older heavier bike with dh tyres on to ride regularly, then your 34lb bike will feel super light.

tomhoward

What you need is an older heavier bike with dh tyres on ebike with the power off to ride regularly, then your 34lb bike will feel super light.

ftfy

chiefgrooveguru

Low weight is so over-rated on mountain bikes. And mountain bikers! 😉

Dilwyn
    Free Member

It’s not that heavy. My Carbon specialized enduro is only just under 32lb once you have decent tyres on.

philjunior
    Free Member

That’s not particularly heavy.

And you need keep the weight of every bit down to keep the overall weight down – as you can reel off a good few things that are a bit porky, I assume everything else is too. One or two light bits aren’t going to lose much weight without compromising other things.

BoardinBob

Unless you are a racing snake with visible abs the weight of your bike is inconsequential

colournoise

Sounds slightly overweight.

I have a similar spec (X-Fusion sweeps, Flow mk3, Reverb, 10 speed SRAM X9 drivetrain with XT cranks, Zee brakes, On-One carbon bars) Rocket 275 that comes in at 31lb pretty much dead on. So, either the Airdrop frame is heavy, or that low-end 12 speed drivetrain is adding a fair bit?

BoardinBob – Member
    Unless you are a racing snake with visible abs the weight of your bike is inconsequential

But then this.

Goldigger
    Free Member

My orange 5! 31.4lb

sillysilly
    Free Member

Sounds about right without carbon frame / cranks / bar, machined Sram cassette and trick hubs. You won’t notice on the down and will soon get fitter pushing it on the up 🙂 Check your pedals – can easily add an extra 100g.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Where is the weight coming from?

gx 12 speed isnt light, nor the xfusion metric forks, or saint brakes, or stans flow rims

GX isn’t exactly heavy in the scheme of things, flows are sensible etc.

Simple ways to look at it.
    Spreadsheet of every part, not everything more expensive is lighter.
    Work out what isn’t performing well, you want a performance upgrade to go with a tiny weight saving

https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-am-v42-origin-yellow-2017-c2x19922653
    This with a swap to hope E4’s and Thomson bar/Stem with Reverb and tubeless tips the scales at about 14.5kg/32lb with a fairly base spec so your hiding some weight somewhere

poah
    Free Member

My transition suppressor with a coil and front mudguard is under 32lb. No carbon, heavy tyres, 11sp XT and saint brakes (203mm f&r).

Sure your scales are correct?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Obviously Monsieur is sub 10% body fat as well no? 😆

steve_b77
    Free Member

What you need is a set of those scales so often used only posters on here that make any bike weigh around 10-15% leas than it actually does :mrgreen:

oldtalent
    Free Member

I will wash it today and try again. It felt heavy yesterday, I hadn’t really noticed before. I have ridden a V10 that felt lighter and this is before I fit dual ply tyres.
    Airdrop frame large
    Fox X2 air shock
    Xfusion metric fork
    Saint brakes with 200mm rotors
    SRAM gx 12speed transmission.
    Canfield pedals
    Thompson elite covert dropper
    Nukeprood ti saddle
    Flow rims with hope pro2 hubs
    Rental Fatbar
    Hope stem

There is nothing in the spec I would want to change. It is what it is. Just expected a few lb less. I thought everyone had a 28lb bike after reading some threads!

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m too scared to weigh my process 153! I can pick it up to put it in my van and it gets me to the top eventually! That’s all I worry about. Not having a belly could be the best weight saver I could make. Wouldn’t cost either as it means less pies!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What tyres are you running there?

Nothing screams heavy on the list

tomhoward

I thought everyone had a 28lb bike after reading some threads

Normally those are the ones with the special magic sales.

joebristol

That airdrop sounds really heavy!

I’m on a Bird Aeris 145 in ML – weighs around the 32lb mark (using luggage scales – weighed my road bike for working out accuracy of the scales and are about right).

I’ve not got a light build in any way – RS Yari 160mm travel, SRAM GX 11 speed with standard cranks, DT Swiss E1900 30mm wheels, Maxxis Exo 2.35 wide dhr2 / Aggressor tyres running tubeless, standard scoop saddle, Brand X dropper (heavy) etc.

Only place it feels heavy / draggy is on the road and smooth fire roads – everywhere else it climbs better than the lighter Boardman Pro FS I had before.

martinkiely
    Free Member

This has cheered me right up! Started a new build yesterday with a Rocket 650B frame, and when I’d (nearly) finished, I moved it out of the work stand and the first thought was “**** me, that’s heavy!”…. 😉

deviant
    Free Member

Despite the Mickey taking when I claimed my 160mm travel FS was 26lbs I’m going to open myself up to ridicule and post its weight again today.

Difference being I was diagnosed with heart failure this summer and have been given by the NHS a fancy pants calibrated set to monitor my fluid retention and weight each day.

Results later.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What you need is a set of those scales so often used only posters on here that make any bike weigh around 10-15% leas than it actually does

Yeah, magic scales – even better when the spec comes with it 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@deviant the piss taking wasn’t so much the weight but the very strange compromises you made to get there

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

take the peddles off..

my next bike is heavier than i thought, hence me holding off buying it.
    would love a 130mm/120mm full sus at the 12-12.5kg, but its showing 13.5kg

alot of farmers gates to fling it over, hence i’d prefer the lighter bike..

Yetiman
    Free Member

My Nicolai AC 29er is just north of 32lbs with a smattering of carbon (bars, cranks, rims), but offsetting that is a pair of 950g tyres, a heavy-ish Shimano cassette, and the Avalanche cartridge in the Pike adds another 200g or so. Considering the hammering it takes I wouldn’t like to swap any of the current parts, which are all fit-for-purpose, although I do have a new XX1 cassette to go on which will drop 150g or so.

amedias
    Free Member

Meh, how does it ride?

Good = excellent, carry on
    Bad = look at why and how to fix (probably not weight related)

I’ve got MTBs ranging from 18lb to 34lb, they’re good for different things and weigh what they weigh… The heavier ones are normally more fun!

sharkattack

You say dual-ply tyres but not which brand. I use Specialized tyre with the Grid casing. Tough enough to take a beating but much lighter than a Maxxis dual ply DH tyre or similar.

Oh, and OP, any chance of some Airdrop Edit pictures?

deviant
    Free Member

@deviant the piss taking wasn’t so much the weight but the very strange compromises you made to get there

Yeah, I’ve changed some things around, the sub 100g carbon roadie saddle has gone on the road bike and I’ve got a normal Charge Spoon on it now, the grips are mountain bike specific now too (Renthals) and I’ve ditched the carbon bars for Renthals too, also ditched the plastic Nukeproof pedals for metal Superstar Nanos so I expect an increase…..still holding out with no dropper post though!

chiefgrooveguru

I was quite pleasantly surprised when the fancy Park scales at my LBS weighed my burly built Spitfire at 31.15lbs, inc pedals. I then realised it was 31lbs 15oz. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

I should add, the only light things are the Pikes, the SixC bars, and the XT 11-36 cassette. Everything else could lose some weight by throwing money at it – but much would get less tough too…

lawman91

That’s not a bad weight, though it pains me that bikes are getting heavier and heavier these days, my T130C RS with upgraded carbon bar and lighter wheels is still over 30lbs with pedals. I managed to get my old Foxy Carbon down to just under 27lbs with Next SL’s, Nobby Nics and superlight Easton bar and stem, which for a bike with a Fox 36 wasn’t bad!

a11y

Meh, how does it ride?

Good = excellent, carry on
    Bad = look at why and how to fix (probably not weight related)

^ this

I made the mistake of weighing my bikes a few weeks ago – led to many wasted hours of extensive browsing for end-of-season bargain frames/bike.

Genesis High Latitude: XL, standard, SS Nano flats – 31.9lb / 14.45kg

Yeti SB95: size L, Pikes, 1×11 XT, SLX discs, carbon bars and cranks, Hope/WTB i25 rims, 2.3” EXOs, M520s – 32.2lb / 14.6kg

Enduro 29er: size L, Pikes, 1×11 XT, Zee brakes, stock bars, SLX cranks, Hope/Roval rims, 2.5” EXOs, DMR Vaults – 33.1lb / 15.0kg

I was disappointed with the Yeti’s weight given the relatively nice build, especially only being 400g lighter than my beefier built Enduro. But I’m happy with how they ride so not planning to weigh them again if I can help it!

All weighed on cheap eBay fishing scales, not expecting great accuracy but all weights should be relative to one another at least.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

my next bike is heavier than i thought, hence me holding off buying it.
    would love a 130mm/120mm full sus at the 12-12.5kg, but its showing 13.5kg

They do exist, my Fuel Ex 140/130 does actually weigh 12kg with pedals. I’ve raced some DH and Enduro’s with it in that spec too. The wheels won’t be long for this world if I carry on in reality – but they are fine for gooning around, just not racing. If I run something more sensible (alloy rims & Grid tyres) its a whole 1kg heavier (quite a lot, just in the wheels!).

Think my hardtail is close to being heavier, which is fairly amusing 🙂

eddie11
    Free Member

Have you thought of going 26″? Save a few grams of each wheel right there.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Oh, and OP, any chance of some Airdrop Edit pictures?

Arghhh I will try.
    Pre gx upgrade if these are visible.

nickc

I’ve a med Airdrop, with Pikes, mostly XTR bits, saint brakes on 180 rotors maxxis 3c minions on mavic. It’s about 32-33lbs-ish. If yours is 34lbs that’s what? About 7% heavier…

My “Giveatoss-o-meter” wouldn’t even register.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘My enduro bike is a porker’ is closed to new replies.