• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Tim.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • my cassete is turning but my wheel isn't
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

my cassete is turning but my wheel isn't and im going to scotland riding tomorow!! 😯

what can i do to fix it?

cheers

nickc

what hub?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Has it frozen?

big-chief-96
    Free Member

its an oldish xt hub…. an M765

when i pedal the chain turns, turning the cassete but the cassete just spins freely

ntreid
    Free Member

Freehub ratchets gone I guess. May need to replace the freehub.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Strip it down and fix it. Or buy a spare wheel from one of the retailers open today so that you can still go to Scotland. Or borrow one from a friend.

nickc

When shimano freehubs go, you can't repair them, it's a replacement unit. It's thankfully not a hard job though. Good "how to" guide on Park Tools site

IA

Needs a new freehub. All shimano freehubs are not alike, you need one specific to that version of the XT hub.

Also you'll need a big (12mm IIRC or is shimano 10mm?) allen key, and a vice will help matters too. Then get ye to the park tools website for a how-to.

(oh, and you'll also need the usual tools to strip a hub etc too)

Onzadog
    Free Member

No one has asked the obvious question yet to diagnose the problem. What way are you turning the cranks?

It is sometimes possible to rescue a shimano freehub but I wouldn't chance it for a big trip. Bets to replace it. As above, not a massive job. If you can't get it sorted and do take a chance on it, take a bunch of zip ties. If it goes again, you can zip tie the largest sprocket to the spokes where they cross and limp home like that. Be warned though, you can't use the top two sprockets doing this an it turns your bike into a fixed wheel!

mickasaki
    Free Member

if you have the tools to remove the freehub, soak it for a few hours in some thin oil like 3in1, it sorted one of mine a while back after it was left a while after jet washing!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Once a freehub starts playing up, its usually a good indication that its gonna die soon. (Unless its frozen, which I doubt)
    Just replace it, especially if you've got a big trip planned.

crikey
    Free Member

Take the cones and axle out, stick a 10mm allen key in the freehub, take the freehub off, carefully peel the skinny rubber seal out of the back, hose through with WD40 until it runs clear, drip oil in til it runs oil out, replace.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

cheers evryone.. problem fixed, bought a new free hub and hopefully some happy riding awaits :mrgreen:

bigyinn
    Free Member

You know it makes sense!!!

Tim
    Free Member

either the freehub ratchets have gone (fixable with new freehub)

OR

the pawls have been chewed out of the hub (hubs dead – albeit can be bodgeable short term with some judiscious filing if its not completely gone but it will fail again)

i've done both 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘my cassete is turning but my wheel isn't’ is closed to new replies.