Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • my bikes broke :(
  • adey205
    Free Member

can the collective please recommend me a new bottom bracket as i finally killed mine on pook's ride yesterday. budget 30-40 gbp

steveh

What sort of bb? ISIS, External bearing etc?

adey205
    Free Member

sorry. forgot. external bearing will be on hollowtech 2 cranks

goldenwonder
    Free Member

XT always seems to be as good as anything for that kind of money

thefallguy
    Free Member

dig deep for a chris king mate, you know you want to! I was going through them a rate of knots till I bought a king one last spring, now its happy days!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

King £80-odd at Winstanleys. Not a great deal more than Hope, and so much better.

If your budget won't stretch that far Hope are good, but they will still need new bearings every 6 months or so.

Clink

Hope are good, but they will still need new bearings every 6 months or so

over 12 months on mine so far… (fingers crossed) 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

my bikes broke 🙁

How many bikes?

Sorry. As a serious answer, what cups do you have right now? Might be worth sending them to Tim @ sideways and having some Phil Woods bearings fitted.

kiwijohn

Enduro bearings. Why throw the lot away when you only need bearings.

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

Acros are good, had one in for 2+ years

hora
    Free Member

Woollly hat shop was knocking out Shimano's for 20quid.

jonb
    Free Member

superstar components

richc
    Free Member

acros or phil wood are your best bet. I wouldn't bother with kings as who can be arsed with taking off your cranks to grease them, when you don't need too.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Acros are very good.

adey205
    Free Member

thefallguy – don't tempt me mate, would love to but not until i know what's happening with our lass

kiwijohn – can i use my existing casings with these?, ie pop the bearings out of the shell

JamesP
    Free Member

You don't need to take the cranks off with a CK bottom bracket. There is small grease port and you just inject clean grease into it. Takes no time at all.

Spud

My Acros lasted 9 months before needing new bearings – replaced under warranty. Hope is the way to go.

singlespeedstu

JamesP – Member

You don't need to take the cranks off with a CK bottom bracket. There is small grease port and you just inject clean grease into it.

You don't own a CK BB do you?

There isn't a grease port on them.

z1ppy

XT if you not willing to buy either a CK or Pace that can be serviced in-situ.

I do like the Phil Woods replacement bearings but the price is too high now to make it worth while.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Replace the bearings with either:-

BUDGET
    OR
    EXPENSIVE

Pook

sorry

🙁

😉

JamesP
    Free Member

Singlespeed Stu- I do actually which is a bit embaressing. On my Turner flux. And I fitted it…BUT you're right…Not sure why I thought there was a grease port. There should be 😉

glenp
    Free Member

My LX is over two years old now, I think. I am a bit touchy about not getting it any more wet than just happens on a ride though – no jetwash, no hose wash, well… no wash basically! I reckon the exposed bearing design is vulnerable.

smoggy
    Free Member

Alright.
    those ceramic BB's it says they fit on "outboard" ball bearings. does this mean Hollotech bottom brackets then?

sorry this is with regards to the expensive/budget link….

kiwijohn

adey205, yep, that's the idea. My FSA bearings lasted 6 months, replaced with Enduro 2.5 years ago & still going strong.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

bigyinn's EXPENSIVE option.

cheap and good.

igm

What do you guys do to bottom brackets? I've got a 4 year old XT one (ridden most weekends) in the full suss – sounds a bit noisy now but it's still working. Not washed often to be fair.
    I vote XT.

Gravy
    Free Member

Do you think this will be strong enufff Adey ? pmsl !

adey205
    Free Member

pook – no worries mate, they were on the way out anyway

gravy – 2 words for you mate, and one of thems off 👿

thefallguy
    Free Member

gravy – 2 words for you mate, and one of thems off

😆

Gravy
    Free Member

Arrrhhhhhhhhhhhhh where's all the love gone ? 8)

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘my bikes broke :(’ is closed to new replies.