Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • My bike is so "wrong" in so many ways, so how come it feels so good?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s alu, not carbon.
    It’s 160mm, not 140mm travel.
    1.125″ headset, not tapered.
    Front fork is 20mm, not 15mm
    Rear is QR, not 12mm bolt through.
    Both shocks are coil, not air.
    Bottom bracket is threaded, not pf30 or bb30.
    Seat tube is 27.2, not 30.9
    Gears are 3 x 9, not 1 x 11.
    Wheels are 26″, not 650b.
    It weighs 34.8 lbs, not 24.8 lbs.

I’m surprised the shame doesn’t stop me from riding it full stop.
    Should I use it for night rides only?

That’s if you believe the marketing.

tomhoward

Same as mine, apart from the seat tube!

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

And mine, how have we enjoyed our riding for so long beggers belief

kayak23

I love how I’m slowly becoming nichecore… 😀

aazlad
    Free Member

On Tuesday night my riding buddy described his ancient Patriot 66 as his cross country bike. He loves it. I’m fed up of all this being on the ‘right’ bike marketing crap. Lets just ride what we have and 😀

rOcKeTdOg

Lets just ride what we have and 🙂

Amen to that

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s because we’re not “sheep”, we think for ourselves, and we’re riding the bikes we want to ride, not the bikes a company wants us to ride.

AngusWells

Don’t let anyone tell you what to do, you are all individuals.

Yes. We are all individuals.

I’m not.

vinnyeh

It’ll feel good because its got a slack head angle, wide bars, and a short stem.

paladin

Angus Wells – Member
    Don’t let anyone tell you what to do, you are all individuals.

Yes. We are all individuals.

I’m not

Brilliant!

NormalMan

You’ve made me feel great as mine is suffering from small wheel syndrome 😉

However I also know that my stem is too long (fashion wise) and I still miss bar ends!

mrmoofo

Cos it’s a 26er …
    Obviously !

Mugboo

I’m still convinced on this 1×10 either (or at least my left knee isn’t sure!). Think I might get all retro and add a chainring…

aazlad
    Free Member

Ahead of the trend Mugboo!

discoduck
    Free Member

Sounds just like mine too ?
    Fortunately for me I never listen to a word any one says and its unlikely that I’ll ever be swayed by the bright adverts and shiny new frames in both 26″ & 650b guises !

OP, what bike is it ?
    Spesh enduro or an orange ?

grum
    Free Member

Mine’s about the same apart from 2×9 and a 30.9 seat post. Absolutely love it.

andytherocketeer

Same, but…
    QR front, not 15 or 20
    No rear shock at all! Imagine that!
    Schwalbe tyres too. With strange toroidal air bladders to keep the air in instead of jizz.

It survived a week in the Alps (and the Julian Alps too). By rights the bike should have been unrideable and exploded in to dust, and thrown me OTB so many times that every bone in my body is broken. And the tyres should have shredded themselves even at the mere thought of going near a stone.

imnotverygood

However, at the time you bought it, I suspect it was the ‘right’ bike.

grum
    Free Member

It survived a week in the Alps (and the Julian Alps too).

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, but how was the biking in the Julian Alps? Any info/pics etc? Ta.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My bike is pretty similar too, although my new frame does have some of the new ‘standards’.

I’ll be using a step down headset to jeep using my floppy 1 1/8th forks and it still has a threaded bottom bracket and 26inch wheels.

andytherocketeer

Sorry for the thread hijack OP, but how was the biking in the Julian Alps? Any info/pics etc? Ta.

Very scenic. All very much DIY get out and ride, although there are a couple of bike parks too (we didn’t do them). Cheap. Hospitality is top notch.
    Paths/trails are often unmapped, and rocky, stony ex-WW1 supply trails. Triglav National Park is off-limits afaik for bikes except on 2m fire roads.
    And loads of campsites by the river for refreshments and cooling off after a decent day’s ride. Can find some pics tonight.

edit: and my bike that is “so wrong” on so many levels, kind of worked exactly like a bike should 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, mine is 24.8 lb’s, has a 29 front, 650b rear, is both alu & carbon, belt drive, 14 speed, 1 fat tyre, 1 thin, both disk & V brake (bars are a little cluttered)….

I am not in your club.

JoB
    Free Member

i remember being marketed aluminium frames, suspension forks, (and then longer and longer suspension forks), oversize headsets, bolt-thru axles, 6, 7, 8 and 9 speeds……..

rOcKeTdOg

toroidal

Awesome word,everyday is a school day!

grum
    Free Member

andytherocketeer – cheers for that. Pics would be good. My parents went on a walking holiday there, staying in mountain hits, and they loved it. Wondered what it would be like for biking.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s alu, not carbon. PASS
    It’s 160mm, not 140mm travel. 200/180
    1.125″ headset, not tapered. tapered
    Front fork is 20mm, not 15mm. PASS
    Rear is QR, not 12mm bolt through. Bolt through
    Both shocks are coil, not air. PASS
    Bottom bracket is threaded, not pf30 or bb30. PASS
    Seat tube is 27.2, not 30.9. FAIL (31.6)
    Gears are 3 x 9, not 1 x 11. EPIC FAIL (1 x 9)
    Wheels are 26″, not 650b. PASS
    It weighs 34.8 lbs, not 24.8 lbs. PASS

bigbadbob
    Free Member

If the clowns didn’t get caught up in the manufactures hype and buy those clown bikes, the manufactures would have loads of 29ers left and they would not have dictated to us what size of bike we have to go for. A few of the manufactures only do 29ers now. So much for choice if you want to shop at Trek or Specialized.
    Or is that too much of a sweeping statement for this forum…
    I will put the kettle on on sit back…

Paceman
    Free Member

Or is that too much of a sweeping statement for this forum…

… Probably 😉

I’ll be out tonight on…

Skinny steel tubes
    1×9
    No suspension
    1 1/8 headtube
    Flat bars
    Standard BB
    Fixed Seatpost 27.2
    QR hubs
    Inner tubes
    The wrong size big wheels… 29″

Should I wait until it’s dark for fear that the MTB fashion police will arrest me?

Although I have other more “on-trend” bikes; it’s this one I often feel that epiphany of oneness between rider and bike.

Rich_s

It’s because we’re not “sheep”, we think for ourselves, and we’re riding the bikes we want to ride, not the bikes a company wants us to ride.

+1

zippykona

What colour is it?

DezB
    Free Member

Mine’s similar – except having a QR on the front seems to save me about 6lbs 🙂

I’m not ashamed of it. I sometimes even let it sneak into photos…

D0NK

With strange toroidal air bladders to keep the air in instead of jizz.

seeing as how toroidal air bladders (even DH ones) were completely incapable of keeping air in any of my rear tyres I went for the aforementioned jizz, might make me a gullible fool but as the time spent reinflating tyres mid ride has been drastically reduced I don’t care.

Not really bothered about 650b either but the amount of posturing on here about it is getting silly

binners

Mine ticks all the same boxes, complete with QR font, and 2×9 with a bash guard (remember them?). No dropper post either. Christ only knows how I make it down hills without dying. undoing a QR seat clamp being such a massively complex and time consuming undertaking

And you can stick your 29″ clown wheels right up your jacksy!!! 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s grey with a clear anodized back end.

Not an orange or a specialized.

kudos100
    Free Member

From the thread title I was expecting you to be riding a unicycle or some horrific full suspension bike from the early 90’s.

tinsy
    Free Member

You are all puppets to the industy, on Saturday I did a few weelies & skids on this, a throwback to a time before the MTB industry even existed let alone was full of standards. (it had pedals on Saturday)

rc200f8
    Free Member

Love my sixpack, best bike I’ve ridden- all 39lbs of it

rc200f8
    Free Member

Love my sixpack, best bike I’ve ridden- all 39lbs of it

iainc

I have just in the last month bought a totally brand new bike, and it’s got 26 inch wheels too, love it….and it’s a steel frame 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Despite riding an older bike, I do have some newer (fad?) stuff on it.

I’ll admit to having a dropper post and love it (but I spent a huge amount of time faffing with my post) and I have tubeless tyres but they’ve been around for ages now so aren’t really a new thing. And I use a 1×10 set up…but I’ve ridden a single ring for ages so I’m not jumping on that bandwagon. It has a short stem, but again I’ve used them since the late 90’s.

I’m quite happy on my 26 inch wheels and am not even really curious about larger wheels so will keep my head in the sand. The new frame can take a 650b wheel by swapping the drop outs so I am kind of protected in the case of the wheel holocaust that certain parties are preaching / pushing, but until that happens it will be a 26er.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘My bike is so "wrong" in so many ways, so how come it feels so good?’ is closed to new replies.