Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Star Trek
  • bigblackshed

Babylon 5 by a “galactic lightyear”.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

DS9 – not nearly as pants as it first appeared.

I loved it right from the off, and thought I was the only person in the world who ever really liked it.

matther01
    Free Member

Next Gen
    DS9
    Original
    Voyager
    Enterprise

…in that order for me.

DS9 only really got good IMO when the Dominion started attacking properly.

kimbers

to be honest its all excellent ive even started indoctrinating my toddler and my (at the time) unborn 2nd son

im not sure that hes too keen

still, he enjoyed it more than my mother in law, she likes star trek as much as klingons love tribbles

tacopowell
    Free Member

Haha! Yes! Get them early, my Brother-in-law got my niece into Dr Who proper early, by 3 1/2 years she could recite all the previous Dr Who Actors and in chronological order!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Like most Sci fi tbh but voyager was the weakest.
    Farscape and babylon 5 were also awesome
    Not seen the new bsg

khani
    Free Member

Farscape was rubbish IMO, Babylon 5 was superb, Star treks the tv equivalent of comfort eating..

ScottChegg
    Free Member

he enjoyed it more than my mother in law

You took your mother.

We all need to think about this quietly for a while.

dazh

Took me 2 years to watch every single Trek episode in order from TNG to Enterprise (couldn’t be arsed with the original series). IMO the best season was season 3 of Enterprise (or was it 4?), the one where they have to save the earth from unknown aliens and abandon all their starfleet principles. Voyager was good too, as long as you ignored the episodes featuring Neelix and Janeway’s holodeck creations. The only redeeming feature of DS9 was Quark. Obviously the best think about TNG (and later Voyager) was the Borg (who really should have had their own show!). And my favourite single episode of all time was the TNG episode where they found Scotty marooned on a Dyson Sphere.

klumpy
    Free Member

TNG. Compensate. That annoyed me.

“Captain our [piece of technology] is [working less well]!!”
    “Compensate!!”
    “Aye sir!”
    Really, you needed telling that..?

B5 was great, latest BSG was great (let’s pretend the ending never got made), Farscape was great.

lilchris
    Free Member

footflaps
    You need to watch the 2009 Star Trek film – raises the bar to a new level….

kimbers
    erm no,it turns it into just another disposable holywood action flickThank god someone else see’s it to.
    It threw away the whole time line (..and applied laws).

As for DS9, To boldly…. go no where and wait for others to come to you, and Voyager, put a woman at the helm and she gets lost 😉 , pah!

Used to watch Enterprise when it was first shown on Ch4, but no Sky here, so lost track.
    TNG is of course the pinnacle of SciFi excellence!

vinnyeh

Enterprise for me, or rather the ‘Temporal Cold War’ arc running through the series, not too fussed about the rest.
    Picard for the win.

And favourite piece, from First Contact.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSgjAV6XyI[/video]

tacopowell
    Free Member

(couldn’t be arsed with the original series

This crossed my mind but after watching the first episode today, I think it’d be rude not too, yeah it’s dated but I honestly enjoyed it, plus they were proper kinky in the 60’s.

martinhutch

In order of preference:

Enterprise
    Voyager
    TNG
    OS
    DS9

I loved the 2009 film. Great casting, action, visuals and humour. Really looking forward to the next one.

First Contact was the best film prior to that. Pretty much hated all the other films, perhaps with the exception of the Khan one and the one with the whale, although that didn’t feel like a Star Trek film particularly.

For me TNG, DS9, TOS, Enterprise, Voyager. Janeway just got on me nerves, Paris too.
    Overall though prefered BSG, B5 and Farscape to the Star Treks though.

Cougar

After reading some of the comments on here, I suspect a number of people simply haven’t seen many episodes of the shows they’re discussing.

Farscape, for example, is one of the finest sci-fi shows ever made, but it’s a very difficult show to just pick up and love. BSG and B5 are all story-arc driven shows that you can’t just dip in and out of, and the best parts of DS9 and Farscape were also arc shows.

If anyone is seriously telling me that they like sci-fi and think Farscape is rubbish, I can only conclude that they’ve seen about three episodes and couldn’t get past “ooh, Muppets”.

mogrim

For me TNG, DS9 wasn’t bad, never really watched the others. Loved the 2009 film, too.

Cougar

WRT Voyager, that show frustrated me. It could have been great. It should have been great.

This is from memory and I’ve not watched it in years so I may be doing it a disservice, but,

The original premise is brilliant. You’ve got the cream of Star Fleet thrown together with a bunch of rebel fighters. There’s a real opportunity for conflict as they’re forced to work together. That lasted, what, two episodes?

Maquis aside, Janeway is surrounded by the best staff Star Fleet have to offer. Yet she knows more about the respective posts than any of them. How many times do we have scenes where say the Chief Engineer, the best Engineer in Star Fleet, tells her something can’t be done and she comes up with something he hasn’t thought of? Every other week? Gah.

Then there’s her propensity to make friends with everything. “Ooh, an alien killing machine, let’s see if it wants to be friends. It’s probably just misunderstood, poor thing.” She made friends, repeatedly, with the Borg for gods’ sake. Talk about neutering one of the franchise’s best antagonists.

It had moments of brilliance. The Species 8472 plot line was spectacular, right up until they defeated them (by making friends with the Borg, natch), but it spent way too much time with Seven of Nine learning about humanity, irrelevant twaddle with Leonardo Da Vinci, or being all twee and cuddly with Niaomi Wilder (who must surely usurp Wesley Crusher as “most annoying Trek character ever”). The hell with that, go blow some shit up.

Compare with DS9. Once the writers worked out after two seasons that, in fact, no-one in the history of the world ever gave a tuppenny shite about Bejor, we got the Dominion Wars, the Defiant, Wayoon, Garek (who must be the one of best characters ever), Section 31… Fantastic stuff.

richmtb

Babylon 5 was great, had a brilliant story arc but it could have been so much better if some of the acting wasn’t as wooden as the sets.

TNG – Its really all about Picard and Data the rest of the cast had their moments but were generally a bit shit.

DS9 – Is probably my favourite of the Treks it had a real universe feel with the number of recurring characters and the Dominion war story Arc

Voyager was good especially in the later series

Enterprise – Jolene Blalock, say no more

BSG was frakking brilliant, its what Babylon 5 could have been with decent actors

richmtb

Garek (who must be the one of best characters ever)

Yeah Garek was brilliant, in fact the Cardies in general made for excellent characters

The-Beard

I caught myself laughing at the comments about Ryker and realised I know way too much about Star Trek to point and laugh at trekkies… Though this film takes it to a whole new level:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gPUabIqQQ[/video]

Worth a watch if you haven’t seen it.

BSG (remake) is the finest sci-fi made for TV IMO.

Cougar

I finally got around to watching BSG in its entirety a couple of months ago.

I thought it was superb, but the sci-fi side of it was almost secondary. It was a soap opera in space, they could’ve run the same basic plot as a contemporary war movie. (I’m glad they didn’t, though!)

dazh

Whilst I hear you on Naomi Wilder and Wesley Crusher, they couldn’t compete with Neelix in the annoying character stakes (assuming you ignore the annoying holodeck characters). He was the Jar Jar Binks of the Star Trek franchise.

Cougar

Having just Google image searched “Scarlett Pomers”, I may have to recant my comments about Naomi Wilder.

Crivens.

kimbers

cougar

ds9 was steered by ronald d moores writing hed previously worked on tng and was responsible for the long term klingon story arcs, lursa & bator ! anyway he was the main writer for voyager but quit because he wasnt allowed to make it dark enough and that despite years alone battling coubtless baddies voyager never deteriotated and was always pristine and no one really died

anyway he went and made bsg which is a similar story except each episode galactica was a bit more beat up and there were less humans left

Cougar

He did First Contact as well, didn’t he?

Cougar

Oh yeah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_D._Moore

Tellingly perhaps, he “joined the production staff of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for its third season as a supervising producer, being promoted to a co-executive producer position for the series’ final two years”. Interesting overlap between him being there and the quality of the show.

Cougar

Incidentally, the Wikipedia article there mentions Helix. I watched the teaser trailer for that earlier (only released today I think), looks interesting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Farscape, for example, is one of the finest sci-fi shows ever made

yes this It was fantastic though they should have left reigel on the nearest planet. The stories and what they did was just superb

WRT Voyager, that show frustrated me. It could have been great. It should have been great.

Thought it was pretty weak tbh – ok but really nothing spectacular – the odd bit that was ok

Garek (who must be the one of best characters ever)

I especially liked his take on the Boy who Cried Wolf but yes the simple tailor was the best individual [recurrent] character IMHO
    Quite liked it when Cisco [spell?] chinned Q who was another favourite
    Liked the prophets and all that stuff as well they weaved the story together well I thought.

Must get round to BSG but only saw the odd episode but you folk seem to think it is worth it

Surprised no one has mentioned Star gate 😉

jamj1974

In my order of preference.

Original – brilliantly different although 3rd series patchy
    DS9 – consistently brilliant
    Voyager – some great moments and good story arcs
    Next Gen – solid and sometimes incredibly watchable. Season 4 was shite though!
    Enterprise – entertaining and well plotted. However, too much rewriting of previously established canon

2009 film good but not targeted at fans maybe.. Not as good as Wrath of Khan or Undiscovered Country. First Contact – yet more pointless rewriting of canon…

chewkw
    Free Member

Where do these creatures come from …

and this one …

I still prefer the original Star Trek.

Cougar

[Farscape] The stories and what they did was just superb

The thing I loved about Farscape – one of the things I loved about Farscape – is that they were consistently brilliant at starting an episode with a tired cliché and just as you think “oh, here we go again” they turn it completely on its head.

Must get round to BSG but only saw the odd episode but you folk seem to think it is worth it

It really is. You’ll like it I think.

footflaps

BSG remake is just amazing, really worth investing some effort to get into it.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve not read most of the comments but the only series worth watching is the original.

It was genius. Everything that followed just wallowed in its backwash.

How could you top Kirk?
    And Chekov?

The rest that followed were just mediocre sci fi. There was that bald bloke and that sexy security lady but after that I just can’t remember any of them.

Kirk I will remember on my death bed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok 75 hours of my life I invest its on your head STW

samuri
    Free Member

And Shatner is a god. Let’s make no bones about it. The man is a living legend. Every one else apart from maybe Takei because he’s gone really gay and funny, meh.

How many cartoon characters are based on that bald bloke, or the bloke with beard? None.

How many of the others can sing this brilliantly?
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5m76m_william-shatner-sings-pulp-common-p_music

None, that’s how many.

How many of the others can kiss like this?
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VuIShM5kAQ[/video]

NONE! That’s how many.

Junkyard
    Free Member

samurai this is not the man crush thread 😉

Cougar

ok 75 hours of my life I invest its on your head STW

I’ll stand by that. Trust me.

vondally
    Free Member

DS9 the best though a times a little too goodie was as said wanted to needed to be darker……

Originial Star trek just coz o watched as a kid and was brill

worst voyager…………oh dear

of the rest

Firefly/serenity……brillance
    BSG…sublime apart from the ending

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Star Trek’ is closed to new replies.