Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • MX5 woes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

89 Eunos isn't starting. Breakdown guy reckons it's the starter or ignition switch. Something tells me it's more likely the starter. I have to bump start it on 30m of hill before it T-junctions onto a busy road(i.e. tricky) so I am wondering if I can diagnose & fix this myself rather than take it to a garage (I'm wanting to sell it) – I guess if I get a meter to the starter it should tell me which it is?

I_Ache
    Free Member

After you said to me they are great and you have no problems!

Cant you just stick a recon starter on it and see if that solves the problem?

tron
    Free Member

Is the start spinning and not engaging, or not spinning at all?

cynic-al
    Free Member

😳 it's a 21 year old car!

Can't hear any spinning.

rootes1

could flash the starter across direct from the battery to check it

tron
    Free Member

I'd go for switch then. Usual starter mode method of dying is that the bendix gets clogged up, which is a coarse spiral drive that rams the starter against the flywheel, which means lots of spinning and no starting.

I assume the battery is OK? Because that'll mean no starter either, even with enough electrics to run the lamps, clocks etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta. Battery is recently new, and the problem did not develop gradually – started one minute, didn't the next.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You'll need a hayes manual if your not familiar under the bonnet.

turn key

Q) is there a "click" from the solenoid (might need a head under the bonnet for this)

If yes, cary on, if no, try shorting out the solenoid with a big plasitc handled screwdriver and some rubber gloves. Have someone at the key turn it and short accross the big terminals to see if the starter spins. If this starts it, you need a new solenoid and/or the connectors have corroded/fallen off.

Q) does the starter spin slowly or not at all

if yes – dead battery, earth strap from engine or duff conection somewhere beterrn battery and starter. Or the starter is internally FUBAR.

if no……….

Q) does the starter spin quickly

in this case the ratchet/pin has failed, sometimes this is servicable, sometimes its a new starter required.

MX5's are reliable untill they fail an MOT for rusting through. So a scrapie should have plenty of mechanical spares in good condition as your selling soon lifetime isnt an issue. If you want to keep it plenty of old cars means recon bits should be cheep, if not some places will refurb yours, but this takes time so the cars off the road.

rootes1

I'd go for switch then. Usual starter mode method of dying is that the bendix gets clogged up, which is a coarse spiral drive that rams the starter against the flywheel, w

doubt an mx-5 has a bendix inertia starter – that type is from the 60's and fitted to mini's, imps etc..

will be a pre-engaged start i.e. the pinion moves into place before it is rotated..

tinsy
    Free Member

Roots is right, can do it with jump leads if you can get to it…

If it does nothing it the starter, if it tries to start then its the switch.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

p.s. 21 years isn't old, my midget was 13 when your car was built!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks all – that's kind of making sense.

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    p.s. 21 years isn't old, my midget was 13 when your car was built!

My P1800 was 20!

tinsy
    Free Member

You are no "Saint" Al!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed not, its BRG 😎

goog
    Free Member

spray some hair lacquer into the carburettor

brum bruum bruuum

tinsy
    Free Member

Not sure you can have a BRG Volvo Al, I would think its just plain old green that is similar to BRG.. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Furry muff! Good colour for the car IMO – too many white ones around.

tinsy
    Free Member

Good car in any colour, never had the pleasure to drive one..

5lab

starters can often be bought back to life with a couple of taps from a lump hammer (no I'm not joking. the same trick works with altinators).

you do need to assertain whether its the starter, or the switch\relay though. the breakdown guy you got was useless if he didn't tell you this.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tinsy it's not the best driving experience!

5lab I think he assumed I was a punter and would merely pass the info on the garage.

Trekster

new battery? Check all terminals are tight. Then check all wiring to and at starter, just may be a simple bad connection or broken wire.

TheFlyingOx

I'd start simple. The number of times I've ripped out the dashboard in my car to find out why cigarette lighter/radio/heater isn't working, only to find a burnt fuse in the fuse box. 😳

Also, my missus' MX5 just stopped in the middle of the road the other day. The connector to the negative end of the battery had worked it's way loose. Not off, just loose, but it was enough for there to be zero power to the starter/immobiliser/etc.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘MX5 woes’ is closed to new replies.