Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Must share my Halfrauds experience of today ….
  • simondbarnes

Old Git Surrey – Member

Try buying a Continental tub at nearly £100, finding a cut in the tread after the first ride (no puncture) and slinging it. I'm not that rich!

If you're buying £100 tubs then you're pretty rich IMO.

I use superglue.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Another thread of people moaning about Halfords, stop moaning and go elsewhere.

antigee

repeat after me "i am not the target market, i am not the target market"

got plenty of customers that don't need self gratification

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/20091119/halfords-profit-half.htm

in retail terms those margins and cash flows are good

bit like ryanair – take it or leave it

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

does anyone else find this Daily Mail-esque trend of misspelling words like Hellfrauds or Nu Liebour etc.. massively irritating or is it just me?

Northwind

Yup. It's an open declaration of war against the english language. I can't help but disagree with anyone who does it 🙂

antigee

massively irritating

steady on, a tad reprehensible and possibly misguided

think i might throw up if i hear or see "app" again this week though

bonj
    Free Member

just order some PIAA ones online. As long as you order the right length they come with all the varieties of fasteners you might need.

bonj
    Free Member

Isn't it amazing how you always feel the need to reduce the complexity of what you're asking until they can answer it?

You didn't want slime! But you ended up wondering whether that would do…

…Until it reduces to "do you know what day of the week it is"?

johnners
    Free Member

He then proceeds to spend the next 5 minutes reading them himself to then pronounce he hadn`t a clue ?

I have a horrible suspicion that's exactly what I'd have done.

I agree – I wouldn't trust your average punter to be able to read a tin either.

dooge
    Free Member

Halfords isnt a bad place, just like every other large business with managing directors and stockholders who are trying to squeeze the pennys. To be honest Ive never heard of tread stopping compound, but I have heard of tyre patches to fix large cuts from the inside to make the tyre usuable again.

As for the Kia incident, he might have been deaf from last nights booze fuelled antics, or just a bit dumb. Again, pay peanuts and get mostly monkeys, with exceptions.

martinxyz
    Free Member
    djglover
    Free Member

YOU OWN A KIA. A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

You must try to read a bit better!

YOU OWN A KIA. A HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

No, I don't!
    😐

God help me, I've joined a forum where unless people have heard of something, it either doesn't exist or is a wind-up!

wwaswas

I've never heard of you Old Git Surrey.

You therefore either don't exist or are a wind up.

Can you tell me which it is please?

FuzzyWuzzy

I can never be bothered to fix cuts in tyres myself but most that do seem to use superglue and rave about it so presumably it lasts longer than "until the first splash of water"?

AndyP
    Free Member

OldGit – your picture appears to show 'Readstop' rather than Treadstop.
    'Read stopping compound' = turning the light off, presumably?

TooTall
    Free Member

Those bounders! Imagine my distain when they refused to sell me a replacement starting handle for my Model T Ford! Harrumph! Call themselves a motorised vehicle equipment supplier?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I recently bought a bike form our local Halfords superstore. I was chatting to one of the lads in there about which one to get (Subaw One or Two) and he seemed to know his stuff reasonably well, and was helpful letting me ride the two sizes round the shop until I was happy. I said sorry for taking his time up (It was a busy Saturday) faffing, but he said it was fine because it was nice to have someone who knew a bit about bikes to serve.
    I guess they get a lot off eejits in there….?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Is the lame moaning and whinging about Halfords taken over from the lame moaning and whinging about MBR mag? 😐

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If you'd have gone into any bike shop I know of and asked for something people stopped using about a million years ago, I doubt they'd know about it.

Halfords are great I reckon. Went in at the weekend and received excellent service for something car related. For the bike stuff, I tend to know what I'm getting so if they don't have it, I'll ask nicely. What I won't do is act like a complete d*ck and start belittling their staff. Customers aren't always right, they're quite often morons…

Never heard of Tread Stopping Compound, but black silicone mastic works well on truck tyres when they've got a bit of wire showing. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

HoratioHufnagel – Member
    does anyone else find this Daily Mail-esque trend of misspelling words like Hellfrauds or Nu Liebour etc.. massively irritating or is it just me?

No. What is irritating is people who don't read any of the posts previous to theirs, except the orginal one. Hey Jamie?

FallOutBoy
    Free Member

Here ya go, Old Git, TreadStop: I've found it!!!
    Comes in 3 levels – hope you know which one you want coz I ain't got a bleeding clue… 🙂

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

So who uses what these days?

I have a few tube patches on the inside of my tyres covering cuts. Not sure it adds much strength but makes me feel better that one lucky thorn won't get an easy path to the inner tube.
    The big tears have several layers of duct tape on them too. It seems to keep the tyre in the correct shape better than not adding anything.
    I am that tight/skint. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Dunno. Let's have a look on the computer'

Nice stroll to the other end of the shop, cleverly avoiding the printed cross reference list 15 inches away.

When i worked at Halfords the computer system was updated more regularly than the flip-charts, also the computer will tell you if you have any in stock, and most likely the computer will be infront of the stock racks so he could get you one off their and save someone having to refill the on-floor racks later on.

podman
    Free Member

The flip charts are also often incorrect, they also have pages missing, pages in the wrong order, and only have one brand of wiper blade in each (one is for Bosch, the other for Halfords blades).

100mphplus
    Free Member

I once went in with the wife to get some car odds and sods and whilst gathering bits I spotted her in the bike Dept talking to a young assistant. She then proceeded to walk towards me laughing, as after asking the assistant why were two identically specced bikes £50 different in price, she was told one was green and the other was red!!!

On the treadstop topic, I'm not ashamed to say I've heard and used the stuff in the past and recently read a 'Top Tip' somewhere that informed that the glue used to repair wet/diving suits can be used to repair treads too.

alpin
    Free Member

i like the fact Dezb is getting upset about Jamie recycling his tartan paint joke.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

If you'd have gone into any bike shop I know of and asked for something people stopped using about a million years ago, I doubt they'd know about it.

…. and would probably have said so rather than some crap about 'we don't stock it any more', thereby implying that they once did.

Still, as I said, my fault; I went into the place.

Halfords are great I reckon.

Yeah, stick with them then, Davey. They make their living dealing with people like you!

Roger and Out! :mrgreen:

Jamie
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    i like the fact Dezb is getting upset about Jamie recycling his tartan paint joke.

I also like that fact.

It's the little things i guess.

If i could go back in time Dezb and edit my post so you could bask in the glory of your original creation I would. I feel so bad that i have claimed the tartan joke© as my own and stolen your moment in the limelight. A thousand apologies and allow me the honour to perform Seppuku to right the abominable wrong i have have been guilty of.

Etc.

alpin
    Free Member

🙂

STATO
    Free Member

rather than some crap about 'we don't stock it any more', thereby implying that they once did.

To be fair, the company has been around long enough to have stocked it back in the olden days 😆

stick with them then, Davey. They make their living dealing with people like you!

What, you mean people who dont go round with preconcieved opinions and dont ask stupid questions?

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Well, as the owner of a p7, a Bianchi racer and 4 1980's bmx bikes, and a semi regular reader of stw, I've never heard of Thread Stopping Compound either.

And as a sweeping generalisation, people who spent less than a fiver on their new car (apologies, I'm sure Kia's have moved on in terms of build quality since the Kia Pride was the cheapest, but insdisputibly the nastiest car for sale in Britain), tend not to spend £100 on a Continental Tub? (tube?).

I bought from the c2w scheme, a Bianchi from Halfords, from their defunct Bikehut branch in Dorking, in, er, Surrey, and the staff were both excellent, and helpful. They were happy to let me out the shop on £1500 racers just to get a feel for the right size before I ordered my bike, (as They don't do Bianchi, they obtained it for me). When I;ve been in there casually on a sunday pm, they showed interest in my vintage 80's Diamond Back Silverstreak BMX (a classic I'll have you know), and as the shop was full of high end bikes, must have had an ability to put them together.

Ok, the local car parts superstore primarilly selling kids bikes and commuters might not be used to obsure products for people who spend £100 on a tyre, but then the staff at Mcdonalds will look at you oddly if you ask for Steak Tatare.

docrobster
    Free Member

or even tartare?

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Thread Stopping Compound

I'm sorry I haven't got a glue mate 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Me? Upset??

oldgit
    Free Member

He is not me 😐

TBH chaps you can't expect the kids to know what's what for every car ever made, and the way manufacturers change parts spec during production what chance have they got.

rubbersidedown
    Free Member
Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Must share my Halfrauds experience of today ….’ is closed to new replies.