Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • mumsnet question.. 2 year old keeps hitting
  • Bedds
    Free Member

So, Bedds jnr is now two and has developed the nasty habit of hitting. We’re punishing him by putting him in the naughty corner
    thing is, he’s got his mothers right hook 😯 and he seems to be not bothered whether me, his mum, his 2 yr old cousin or his grandparents..

please let me know if you’ve gone through similar and if so how you dealt with it?..

andy7t2
    Free Member

We’re punishing him by putting him in the naughty corner

is that the blue or red corner

rob-jackson
    Free Member

slapping here, not good 🙁

elaineanne
    Free Member

sounds like my daughters new puppy..one minuite he,s licking you all over …the next he wants to rip your face off ! hahhaa
    sorry its terrible two’s im afraid but seriously id he fighting out thats not good….

“Primitive language skills, impulsiveness, and a fierce desire to become independent make children this age prime candidates for lashing out.
    ….. have a read of this…..

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/preschooler/behaviour/aggression-age-2/

Junkyard
    Free Member

is that the blue or red corner

nice 😀

they grow out of it just dont expect an instant result and stay consistent and you will get there…..biting in my youngest case lasted perhaps 3-6 mths??
    EDIT: he could talk so not a language issue

Jamie
    Free Member

Just smack them back.*

*Obviously has no kids.

MoreCashThanDash

It’s not unknown for toddlers to punch or bite. Is he deliberately hitting or just lashing out?

If he’s lashing out, it might just be frustration – is he not getting his own way, or is he unable to make himself understood or not getting attention another way?

If it’s deliberately targetted, where has he learnt the behaviour -has he watched something, has he seen it at nursery or at home – sorry! – that has made him copy it?

Sounds like you are going the right way about addressing the sympton of his behaviour, probably needs a better mind than mine to help you find the actual cause.

edited to remove wrong forum confusion. D’oh!

mu3266
    Free Member

Jamie, that makes two of us :/

Richie_B

Biting here. He’s drawn blood twice inthe last fortnight. Although I can see the logic in ‘I was being the snappy crocodile’ it doesn’t help his victims

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*Obviously has no kids.

Tut. Has no place in this thread.

(Nor do I)

lazybike
    Free Member

Are there any triggers or is it random? Make a big fuss of the victim, and ignore him, literally turn your back on him, if he persists speak to a “professional”

sugdenr
    Free Member

both ours started hitting at about 2, they grow out of it but it wasnt nice. You could be holding then then suddenly smack right across the chops, sometimes a veritable rain of blows.
    Thing is it appeared to us that it was one of those things where their brain hasnt developed enough to understand what they were doing, it was almost a reflex, and when we thought through each instance could mostly be explained by a hidden frustration at something in their primitive brain.
    Most often tiredness or lack of food, the bain of parents lives and commonest causes of of bad behaviour in kids.

Markie
    Free Member

My daughter went through a biting phase at 2ish. Lasted two/three months. Looking back, I don’t think it was anything we did that stopped her, but rather just that she grew out of it as her communication skills increased. Good luck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘mumsnet question.. 2 year old keeps hitting’ is closed to new replies.