Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Mumsnet q: Am I being unreasonable?
  • scaled
    Free Member

Here’s the rub, she’s only 4.

It’s my birthday in a few weeks and I know my gf has already got me a present from her. I neither know or care what’s going on in my ex’s life. As has been mentioned, better communication would have solved the situation. There’s a lesson in there somewhere

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have no children, and am not separated. However, I think this calls for apology rather than angry self-justification – for your own peace of mind if for no other reason.

When you’ve fulsomely and sincerely apologised, you have some moral high ground for the next time she decides to call you a “shit dad” in a tedious, petty and confrontational way.

🙂

weeksy

Thread reminds me why I’m emigrating should me and the wife split up

binners

You should read the actual Mumsnet thread going on about you. She really doesn’t like you, does she? 😯

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

[DearDeidre}
    Since its been a year, the question is what happened last year and at christmas and fathers/ mothers day. This probably set a precedent.

Also I assume Ex doesnt have a current boyfriend ( or one that doesnt really take too much interest) and possibly feels your benevolence needs to extend over to her side to make up the difference. I guess she realises that your GF has done the bit for your birthday already.

Anyhoo just help your daughter to make something special instead next time which should mean more to her and give you more quality time and costs less!
    [/DearDeidre]

wrecker
    Free Member

You should read the actual Mumsnet thread going on about you. She really doesn’t like you, does she?

Is that real or a binners wind up?

scaled
    Free Member

She really doesn’t like me, I doubt there’s a mumsnet thread though 😀

VanHalen

if the kid cant reasonably go to a shop on her own with some cash then i think you do have some responsibility to make sure the kid doesnt feel bad on her mums birthday.

at this stage your relationship with her mum is all about not playing the agnst game. anthing that avoids confrontation is a good thing.

suck it up, say sorry profusely and move on. dont try and buy yourself out that`ll make it worse. make sure she gets an xmas card from the nipper!

mudshark
    Free Member

It’s just dawned on my that my 4 yr old son’s never given his Mum a birthday present – so that’s my fault right?

Edit – he’s never given me one, phew.

weeksy

It’s just dawned on my that my 4 yr old son’s never given his Mum a birthday present – so that’s my fault right?

yep…

binners

*phones social services*

thestabiliser
    Free Member

For Balance

‘How about the f***ing house you’re living in, b***h?!!’

Disclaimer – **Strongly Recommend You DO NOT take my advice**

(and yes you did drop a bollock there.)

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

It’s not about you or your ex or the gift, it’s about your daughter–it shouldn’t be a big deal for you to remember her mum’s birthday and if you didn’t want to buy a gift you could have helped your daughter make a birthday card and do a painting to give to her mum
    Yabu

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Surely your daughter would only feel bad about not giving a present if someone made her feel bad about not giving a present.

She’s 4, she doesn’t really know she’s obliged to buy her mum a present. She wouldn’t feel bad for not knowing.

njee20
    Free Member

Surely your daughter would only feel bad about not giving a present if someone made her feel bad about not giving a present.

She’s 4, she doesn’t really know she’s obliged to buy her mum a present. She wouldn’t feel bad for not knowing.

+1, see “your ex is a manipulative cow” comment.

crankboy
    Free Member

“sorry love , I had forgotten your birthday, I really hope “child” was not too upset I will make it up to her and make sure we remember next time.”
    would be my response but I would not be expecting any presies from my child paid for by my ex in future.

Junkyard
    Free Member

apologise and say it wont happen again and she needs ot do the same for you – see also mother and fathers day

She is upset about this so just sympathise and move on . Ask here to express herself in less acrimonious terms though.

Its not worth arguing about IMHO and you both want your child to give birthday cards and presents and receive them from the child.

you need to teach your kids to do the right thing and not do what you want – its not manipulative to want a card from your child on your birthday and you should be a parent and make sure it happens.

Sui
    Free Member

good

mudshark – Member

Edit – he’s never given me one, phew.

+1 – that’s got me thinking now…

dooosuk
    Free Member

Ask here to express herself in less acrimonious terms though.

followed then by:

Its not worth arguing about

Good luck with that approach!

Cougar

apologise and say it wont happen again

FTS.

Tell her to stop expecting her ex to buy her presents, and it will happen every year from now on.

CharlieMungus hit the nail on the head. Your ex is using your daughter for emotional blackmail purposes. Which is a really shit thing to do. And if you go grovelling to her, she wins and knows she’s got you over a barrel from now on.

I know little about the psyche of your average four year old, but I doubt she’ll be seriously traumatised for life by being unable to buy her mother a birthday present BECAUSE SHE’S FOUR unless mummy has been whispering in her ear or just making up the whole thing to make you feel guilty. She should be telling her that little girls don’t need to buy presents for mummies and daddies, but can draw a picture for them instead. Rather than sending passive-aggressive text messages to her ex.

Seriously, even if it’s true it’s a nasty thing to be doing to you and you’d be well served not to play those games.

jonba
    Free Member

I’m in the nothing wrong camp but then I don’t have kids.

At 4 I do wonder if your daughter felt bad about not having a present or if your ex told her that she should feel bad?

Personally I think there is a valuable lesson to be learnt here. Birthdays and Christmas are not about buying presents they are about family and spending quality time with people. Next year help your daughter to make a card (go mad with the pasta and glitter). Then get one of those charity donation cards. That way your daughter gets some time with you and still gives a present and a charity gets a donation.

edhornby

at the age of 4, make a card with them to give to the mother – Charlie Mungus is right

and you can now say ‘I’m setting clear boundaries so that you’re not obliged to get me anything and so that our child isn’t a parcel service’

Grandparents / Mothers siblings also should be keeping their eye on the ball with this one too now that she’s a single parent

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good luck with that approach!

You are playing the long game..it will win out eventually.

if you go grovelling to her, she wins and knows she’s got you over a barrel from now on.

Yes that is what it is about and not whether children should give their parent a card and whether a parent would be upset if they did not get a card.
    Honestly viewing it like that is not going to help anyone and the poor child is stuck in the middle…wont you think of the children ?

I doubt she’ll be seriously traumatised for life by being unable to buy her mother a birthday present

Well done that straw man has been beaten to death.
    its about what you want the child to do and what is the right thing to do
    Staying up till midnight eating sweets wont traumatise either but it is probably best avoided.

little girls don’t need to buy presents for mummies and daddies, but can draw a picture for them instead.

Indeed and sometimes you have to be the person who makes sure your kids do this for their mum and sometimes she has to make sure they do it for their dad as they kid is only 4. its about being a parent basically and not having a war with an ex with a child as the ammunition.

IMHO most folk expect a card from their children on their birthday so make sure it happens. Not a big deal really.

j450n
    Free Member

Poundland!

njee20
    Free Member

Does your daughter actually even feel bad, or did your ex tell you she did?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Very mixed responses so don’t lose sleep over it. Seems to me the ex is pissed YOU forgot her birthday. My guess is she isn’t with anyone else and she’s down about the lack of attention?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thanks Freud for that insight- its not what she said it was about then 😕

neither of these events happened if you re read the OP he assumed it but it was never said

perhaps the mum hid it from the daughter perhaps she burst into tears . we do not know

I got a text this morning from my ex, it’s her birthday along the lines of ‘shit dad, it’s my birthday and your daughter has nothing to give me’

I’m sad that my daughter is upset

convert

And if you go grovelling to her, she wins and knows she’s got you over a barrel from now on.

I’ve got to declare my hand here – I’m not in this situation but professionally I get to spend a lot of time dealing with kids with divorced parents. Schools so often become the messenger service between parents about their kids when things go really wrong and you get to see in far too graphic detail the seedy side of divorce. To be honest some of the mums I meet I can totally understand why the fathers divorced them – a nightmare! However the main thing I see are dads that have got themselves boxed into a diplomatic corner. As a bloke it pains me to say it but we don’t seem to be very good at this. When pressed we revert to our teenage selves and see ‘issues’ as competitions (as above) that need to be won.

There are some dreadful female parents out there, don’t get me wrong, but men seem to often be rubbish because they can’t get a handle on the bigger picture and can’t get over the rift between the two adults. They see compromise and conciliation as signs of weakness and ultimately ‘lose’ big as a consequence. Please don’t think of it as a competition and don’t use the language of winning and losing.

Mackem

Your ex is acting like a 12 year old.

Cougar

its about what you want the child to do and what is the right thing to do

The right thing to do, surely, is to not set a precedence where the mother thinks it’s perfectly acceptable to use the child as leverage.

This isn’t about the child, it’s all about the mother point-scoring. I’d be shocked if the child was all that fussed either way. Daddy helping to make mummy a birthday card would be a nice thing to do of course, some quality father-daughter time together, but I’d be damned if you should be obliged to do it. What’s stopping granny from doing it rather than her having you over a barrel to celebrate an ex’s birthday?

Out of interest, what would your girlfriend have to say about you buying presents for an “acrimonious” ex?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the mother thinks it’s perfectly acceptable to use the child as leverage.

She has said that she would like a card from the child on her birthday. I do not know why you wish to use such emotive language to describe the situation. Many folk expect a card on their birthday they are not all manipulative bastards or bitches. Its a fairly standard expectation tbh and one i would teach my children to deliver on.

I’d be shocked if the child was all that fussed either way

Indeed it is almost like you have to show them how to behave so they get it or you could try ignoring their birthday but that would be harsh

ninfan
    Free Member

Why not tell her you were planning to pop round and deliver it later?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABrSYqiqvzc[/video]

yunki
    Free Member

OK… I’m speaking from my own personal experience with shared care, or half custody or whatever you wanna call it..

We opted for this as we wanted what was best for the kids, not what was best for us or best financially.. With this in mind we have made every effort to remain a team, put our differences behind us (which is where they belong) and put our family first..

So we still support each other in what we do, we still put communication at the top of our priority list, and we still act with love and compassion..
    The respect and admiration that we get from our new partners and our family and friends for acting in this way is very rewarding too

Now that may seem naive, idealistic and unrealistic but it’s not..
    We’ve cut out the shit that we didn’t like, like each other’s company and co-habiting and bickering about our own self centred expectations, which has freed us up to live the lives that we want and focus on what is important.. The kids

I received some really nice, thoughtful presents this year and the erstwhile Mrs yunki will get the same in return, it’s incredibly simple to live with love and compassion, especially when you don’t have to put up with crap sex and nagging..

Cougar

She has said that she would like a card from the child on her birthday.

So who is this all about, again? That’s a very different situation from “the child wanted to give the mother a card.”

Regardless, why is this a responsibility exclusively foisted on an estranged ex-partner? He’s the child’s family, not the mother’s. Will mummy soon be sitting with daughter, lovingly crafting a birthday card for daddy?

I do not know why you wish to use such emotive language to describe the situation.

Because, really, it’s a deeply unpleasant situation IMHO. “It’s my birthday, where’s my present, you’ve upset your daughter” is manipulative and downright bloody rude to start with, but being expected to behave like a couple when you’re not just stops you moving on with your life. By all means be civil to each other, and if as time goes on you find that you become friends then buying each other birthday presents might turn into something that you’ll want to do as friends. But this couple-y expectation is just… icky. Sorry.

yunki
    Free Member

there you go.. ugly thoughts breed ugly situations.. quite possibly ugly kids too

good luck cougar! 😆

Cougar

Scrap that.

What Yunki just said, instead. Good work sir.

I think my beef with the whole thing is the way she’s done it. She could easily have pre-empted this and mentioned it in a civil discussion beforehand. But instead she’s sent a shitogram after the fact. To what end, what’s that achieve, other than to make the OP feel shitty (which, it appears, has been largely successful)?

scaled
    Free Member

Yeh, you nailed it </thread>

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think my beef with the whole thing is the way she’s done it. She could easily have pre-empted this and mentioned it in a civil discussion beforehand. But instead she’s sent a shitogram after the fact. To what end, what’s that achieve, other than to make the OP feel shitty (which, it appears, has been largely successful)?

I think you just nailed being divorced but she is also right this time.
    you need to rise above it and not join in.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I got a shitty text from my ex when the birthday gifts I helped the kids choose for her were not deemed up to scratch

They were for her 40th and she wanted something she could keep like jewelery or something

yunki
    Free Member

Unfortunately despite all the idealism I spouted above, rising above it is sometimes still the most valuable tool in the armoury 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Mumsnet q: Am I being unreasonable?’ is closed to new replies.