Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Mudguard options for cross bike with discs
  • MrGreedy

I have just become the proud owner of a Boardman CX bike, which I plan on using as a winter road bike in addition to any offroad forays. The downside of not having rim brakes is that it looks like fitting Crud Road Racers might be tricky/impossible – is that the case? If so, what are the best alternatives to keep my arse dry? I have an old set of SKS Raceblades and in comparison to the Mk2 Cruds the coverage is pretty poor so these are very much the last resort.

simondbarnes

Can you not fit full sks chromoplastics?

STATO
    Free Member

I found a thread on another forum when i was looking for ways to fit guards to a (different bike).

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=17194830

mcmoonter
    Free Member

SKS chromoplastics for me. You just need to get creative bending the stays.

MrGreedy

Cheers, will check out that Bikeradar thread – 19 pages! 😯
    Was hoping to avoid *too* much bodging, but looks like it might be inevitable.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Got some SKS Chromoplastics on my Tripster and the good thing about them is that once the stays are bent, they stay bent. It’s worth a bit of time to fit them around the caliper mounts, as once they’re done, they’ll be fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

MC what are those forks?

willsimmons
    Free Member

I have the latest Boardman CX. SKS Thermoplastics fit without issue. I have some 45 wide ones on there. Fit on the back with no bodging at all – all required mounts present on the frame and of course the disc caliper is on the chainstay rather than the seatstay. Front fitted with ease as well, with a gentle bend to the guards – the supplied mounts are more than long enough to accommodate this and still fit.

zilog6128

SKS Thermoplasts fit fine onto my Croix de Fer with BB7s (with A LOT of bending around the rear caliper). Now that I’ve replaced the brakes with the new Hope V-Twin (X2 calipers) I see there’s a lot more room around the smaller calipers. I think I would have to do only minimal bending at the front to rout the mudguard stays and possibly none at the back as the calipers sit a lot more flush to the frame. Unexpected bonus for the V-Twin system!

mattsccm
    Free Member

SKS here as well. No bodging needed, just a touch of bending. Go as big as the frame will take as clogging is less likely.

jmenorton
    Free Member

Got the chromoplastics on my rose, well the back one anyway. Still working on the front, no mounts at the bottom of the fork, there almost halfway up the fork, so need to cut down the stays and do a bit of filing.

wool

SKS on my Uncle John fitted with a little bending and attachment onto the disk mount had no problem with them they also can be removed quickly if I am racing it

mcmoonter
    Free Member

MC what are those forks?

Some Boardman carbon CX forks off fleabay

FuzzyWuzzy

If it’s just your arse your worried about and not the face of anyone behind you then I’d just get a Zefal Swan, works fine on my CX bike
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/zefal-swan-road-rear-mudguard/

samuri
    Free Member

I have one like the Zefal there. Wish I’d fitted it last night. my arse was soaked when I got into work this morning. I hate normal mudguards. Rattly, awkward in the way buggers. Offroad they sound like the terminator flicking a quick one off the wrist in a milk churn. On a bike with horizonal dropouts they’re a nightmare for pulling the wheel out.

oxym0r0n

Some useful tips from Genesis here

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Mudguard options for cross bike with discs’ is closed to new replies.