• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Mud Tyre dilemma
  • miner29er
    Free Member

I was gonna buy a pair of Maxxis Medusas (2.1″) for the muddy Hit the North event which would set me back £55 to £60. Then a mate said he’d loan me his 2.1″ Panaracer Fire XCs for free. Anybody know how well the Fire Xcs will ride in the mud?

Spin
    Free Member

Fire XCs are decent in the mud but the side walls are pretty fragile.

Taff
    Free Member

I’m using a fire xc on the front and gone tubeless. It’s fine in the gloop to be fair but wouldn’t have it on the back with those sidewalls and don’t think it will grip quite as welll

iDave
    Free Member

how do you know it’s going to be muddy?

it might be a frozen hell by then

miner29er
    Free Member

I have a premomition and it’s keeping me awake nights. It’s gonna be MUDDY – the only question is…how deep? 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I haven’t use Pana XC for a while as I find them not cushy enough for what I’m mostly riding.

They are not a mud-tyre and block up fairly quickly if its proper continuously muddy: the blocks are quite closely packed. But the blocks are fairly tall so dig in OK if mud is intermittent and you can go fast enough in between to shed.

Find out if they are the XC Pros, as these have a reinforcing strip down the sidewall, usually red, which prevent pinches quite well IME.

portlyone

I’ve ridden on Fire XC Pros at HtN and they clogged up on me. The mud and grass form quite a wattle and daub effect in the tread.

Clobber
    Free Member

If it’s muddy forget the fire xc pro and go medusa or bonty mud-x

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of Mud X tyres going cheap, plenty if tread left.

jonnyvegas
    Free Member
    collinstiffee
    Free Member

I have a maxxis swamp thing on the back and get pretty good traction. Wears quickly though

Bez

I’ve got a cheap Panaracer Spike in amongst this little lot. About the most mud-specific tyre ever made 🙂

cakeeater
    Free Member

Take a look at specialized storms. I ran a pair tubeless at Strathpuffer and found them great for the conditions, £22 each from Edinburgh bike coop.

Taff
    Free Member

MudX are £40 a pair and good all year round

IHN

I’ve always used 1.9″ Trailrakers in proper mud, they’re excellent. Not much squish, but then you don’t need it if it’s muddy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Mud Tyre dilemma’ is closed to new replies.