Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Mud guards for an X … How to mount rear?
  • vincienup
    Free Member

I was planning SKS chromoplasts, but I note they use the central calliper bolt hole, which is fine in the front, less so out back…

(cotic’ s own pic)
    There is a hole in the centre of the tube from the arch running up to the seat post- but it’s in the wrong plane.
    Anyone got any ideas if this is doable – or alternative suggestions? Currently got a bender fender sitting out back …

wwaswas

I just drilled a hole in my inbred frame where I wanted to mount the guard and used a self tapping screw. IF you do it on the ‘other’ side to the one in the picture it’s not very visible and doesn’t get much rain running down to it.

other alternative would be to run a screw through the guard and into the hole that’s already there. You can add a spacer to hold the guard closer to the tyre.

servo
    Free Member

Lots of quality bikes have an extra tapped hole at right angles to the brake bridge to fit a rear mudguard. Just be careful when you drill the hole in the guard!

My Planet X Ti has one. Good job really, the first thing to break on a mudguard is normally the brake bridge clamp.

rOcKeTdOg

The hole in mine is tapped used some thin metal bent to fit to attach cromoplastics

vincienup
    Free Member

Hmm.
    Some ideas here.
    Don’t really want to drill new holes in my frame but I’d be fine with using the existing hole under the seat stay arch somehow.
    Of the above ideas, which is likely to work best… Adding a bent bit of metal as an adaptor to the existing mount on the mudguard or drilling up through the plastic and spacering like wwaswas suggests? I’d rather drill 20 odd quids worth of plastic than introduce a new hole to my frame! 🙂

Ben_H

I use SKS Race Blades on my X – i.e. the band-on ones.

I have the wide versions, which allow for my 28c tyres or larger. They’re great – the elastic bands are great for easy fitting and removal.

rOcKeTdOg

i’ll try and take a picture for you, as it looks better than it sounds

lunchbox
    Free Member

Chromoplastics on mine mounted with zip ties running up to the rear canti cable guide in the pic. Works fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Mud guards for an X … How to mount rear?’ is closed to new replies.