Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Muckmedden tomorrow.
  • spando
    Free Member

Really really wish I’d got me some mud tyres, it’s gonna be a mud fest! Anyone else going? Are you using mud tyres?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

LOL. What you really need is ROOT tyres.

deus

AS i listen to the rain on the windows, i’m thinking yes, in fact the mud tyres are sitting beside the bike just waiting to be put on.

Now 2.35 swampthings or 2.1 black sharks, that is the question

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I’m well excited! I’ve got a Swampy to put on the front, maybe an old Mud X for the rear.

Anybody ridden the course? It should be an absolute riot.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

But please be gentle on the trails. I’m a bit concerned about he effect of the traffic. 3 weeks ago would have been dustily perfect.

deus

From what i’ve heard a lot of it is already very muddy, i don’t think that a load of motorbikes riding some of the trails helped much either 🙁

raisinhat
    Free Member

I rode the course on Wednesday and it seems to be a super fun course, but with plenty of seriously tough, short climbs. It was a little bit torn up, but it’s probably going to get a whole lot worse tomorrow. I wish I had a proper thin mud tyre to throw on the back, but a 2.1 nobby nic is going to have to do.

It should be a blast, apart from feeling most of the time like riding through treacle – next to no fireroad though!

spando
    Free Member

Anyone got a mud Tyre for sale 😯

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

What did everyone think? I really enjoyed that – got a decent result in the 1 lap race, helped largely by the fact that I enjoy a bit (a lot) of mud.

Same again next year please.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Gutted I missed it. Was signed and paid up the badly sprained my wrist on Friday so no riding for a few weeks 🙁

koolaid
    Free Member

Great day even if it was hard going in that mud. A lot of big smiles after the final climb up the finish line.

When/ Where are they posting the final results? Not that I need to worry myself 🙂

Roll on next year.

spando
    Free Member

Whoop whoop 1st in over 35cat 😀 Found my 2.25 tyres pretty good.

What a fantastic event, big thanks to Aaron and his team and I think the commentary deserves a big shout for keeping us entertained all day 😀
    It was great to see lots of happy people enjoying the madness in the muuuuuddddd 😀

Northwind

Enjoyed that… Very good. Bloody hard work! I was ruined by the end… Not sure where I placed but not very high, didn’t really put in the effort tbh but great to have a play on new trails.

Thought they missed a trick making it a mass start if I’m honest, for us middle-of-pack folks it meant an awful lot of traffic (which meant an awful lot of the climbs became pushes, there was always someone stuck halfway up. Sometimes it was me!) But that was really my only criticism.

All in all, huge success!

forkbrayker
    Free Member

that was brutal…no idea what my position was…. got 4th in u35 but thats based solely on overall time… not the points allocation. pretty chuffed as the course was torture…

Aaron did well for his first event organisation but definetely things could have been made better.

for instance (hypothetically speaking). if you were 30 riders back from the lead guy on the first loop but only a few minutes off of him.. he would get 1 point and you would get 30 points…theoritaclly you could go on then to overtake everyone and get one point for every lap after that…finish first and get a shit position due to the 30 points you got on the first loop.

the preceding weather was a real shame for aaron as pitmedden is amazing in the dry. i think he should have split the mass start in to groups of 10 leaving every 2 minutes going over the timing mat at the start or something similar to make sure points werent gained due to the back log of crap wet weather riders snarling things up.

also want to say how this course really proved that 29ers are ****. had a battle with a guy who completely cained my ass on the firetrack climbs but on any of the singletrack (down/traverse/up) i was way way infront of him…could be that he was just a not very skilled rider, but getting caught benind him on the tight corners and steeps was hilarious watching him struggle to make any turns. on the last descent i passed him (yet again) on the bombhole and i was 1/4 of the way up the fire road climb and still saw him struggling in the forest below me…he had literally gone a couple of hundred metres to my km. but then he eventually screamed past me on the fire road climb before the turn off for the finish. hey if 29 inch bikes means you are only good for firetrack road and glentress, you can count me well out.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

I did the test event and thought it was a pretty awesome route and was gutted I couldn’t come for the race! Was there a bomb hole on it? Never noticed one.

I think it was a good set up with enough technical stuff to keep skilled riders happy and tiring enough that fitness was a major component!I imagine there was a bit of a bottle neck coming off the first fire road if it was a mass start?

robbespierre
    Free Member

What a great event – well done to Aaron!

It was amazingly tiring, I was very glad I’d only entered the one lap race. I agree with the comment that the start should have been staggered, although starting later would be a big disadvantage since the course got trashed pretty quickly.

Was gutted that the burger stand ran out of Venison burgers!!
    I had to eat a vegiburger!

forkbrayker
    Free Member

Hope this isnt you Spando…

harrumph harrumph, call me a shit stirrer if you please… but was looking at the muckmedden results……Patrick Bruce, mental muckers…..2nd overall time, 1st in +35 category…… check that final loop time….6 minutes quicker than anyone else!!!!! despite being 2 minutes slower in all other loops than the overall first place guy. that time is not possible at all even in the dry and with fresh legs, yet despite 2 hrs racing in hard sloggy slow mud he comes close to halving the undoubtedly fastest rider’s time on it……by my reckoning he should have ended up 3rd (taking into account his other times)

mentioned it on the muckmedden site albeit with less emphasis…and post was removed… lol

cheating to beat your mates is one thing but cheating to get into 1st place………

munrobiker
    Free Member

I hope there was no trail erosion- lololololololol!

Sounds good, and props to STAUCC for wiping out the podiums and 1st overall.

ewangronk

I also noticed that and was a little suspicious. I was second in the U35’s and thought till I looked today that I was second overall. There was no one that overtook me in the last section, but looking at the time he may have passed too quick for me to notice 😉

Have to say, great event tho, always been a fan of the trails at Pitmedden anyway. Well done to Aaron.

Northwind

Aye, that time just seems too fast. I hope he enjoys the fabulous rewards of victory…

This is why it’s nice to be slow and crap, when you’re in the middle you’re not that bothered about this sort of thing, or getting held up on a climb, or whatever 😉

(just looked at my GPS trace and my race time is 10 minutes longer than my GPS time- which means that my GPS thinks I wasn’t moving at all for 10 minutes! Now I stopped between loops for a couple of minutes each time, and on track from time to time to let a descent clear so I could bomb it, but for at least half of that I was going as fast as I can and the GPS just goes “pfffffff, loser”)

spando
    Free Member

Forkbrayker, no not me I wasn’t man enough for the mental muckers, I just dit the mad muckers, that was enough 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yip, looks very dubious. The blue descent was awfully close to the fire road climb backup at several points…..

thecrookofdevon

I thought the event was excellent especially considering it was the first time it had been held.
    However there were some obvious concerns re marshalling. When you did the first half of the blue loop you were directed to go up the fire road and then do the Burnside descent. You then came back up the fire road past the same marshall and this time went straight on either onto lap to or back to the finish. Didn’t think anybody would be sad enough to take advantage of the potential of missing out this part of the course.
    Second point would be that, Aaron really could not be blamed to weather prior to the event. It turned much of the course which had been riding beautifully into a mudbath. Hope Pitmedden recovers swiftly as I ride there quite often.

forkbrayker
    Free Member

i have the truth. said person did cheat missing out the final descent and climb, and went home with the prizes, said person emailed organiser admitting it and offered the prizes back but due to location of rider. offer was declined, organiser then contacted the next in line for the win and is sending out some goodies to compensate and also results are due to be altered to suit.

(havent used any names here as i am not in a position to bandy names about)

i can almost understand missing out the last descent/climb, as the conditions were brutal but accepting prizes at the end is well out of line. all that was needed was a quiet word in organisers ear that they were standing down from the podium.
    but hey ho its all meant to be fun, nobody died, and it wasnt the world champs. sure karma will have her say in all this…..i predict the next 30 rides are full of puctures …especially on the wet muddy days.

pitmedden will recover as it has done every winter and also when the forwarders were in thinning it out, and when horse events have been held

forkbrayker
    Free Member

oh forgot to say any local riders to pitmedden, please keep an eye out for a group of motocross/trials riders who have started using the place.
    have already got them booted from falkland bike park using the police. and have reported them again for being at pitmedden.

eyes peeled for a big white van (merc sprinter i think) with registration
    V689 LMS

once in a blue moon in the dry is fine, but if they start treating it as a local spot, riding it in the wet and suchlike then thats pitmedden fukked for evermore

spando
    Free Member

Why would you want to miss out the blue descent, its the best part of the course 😀 unless you are held up by a fit fast rider with no tech skills 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Muckmedden tomorrow.’ is closed to new replies.