Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • MTE p7 from DX . How Waterproof ??????????????
  • singletrackmind

I have the above MTe P7 with 18650 battery. Makes a good helmet light , and at the price ideal for the amount of night riding i actually do.
    I use it at work , and having taken some Tramadol (bad back pain) decided to accidently drop the torch into a 180 gallon tank of beer that I was fillling up. The other 2 tanks had everso slightly smaller vents and the torch would sit about 10 mm in and go no further. The last tanks vent was about 4mm bigger so i placed the torch into the vent , expecting it to stop , but it plopped straight in. Into about 60cm of beer!

Alot of swearing , and a quick reverse on the pump connections, and 15 minutes later the tank is almost empty.

As it was emptying I could see the bloody thing glowing away in the bottom of the tank . I was amazed it was still going. I hooked it out , reversed the pump connections again and refilled the tank . The main battery compartment had leaked and there was some beer on the battery, Couldn't see any sign of beer around the emitter, or in teh tailcap, as a precaution I left it to dry near one of the burners, after wiping aaway most of the beer .

Its still working fine today, how long that lasts remains to be seen, but total submersion , for about 15 mins , into beer and it seems OK must be a harsher test than a drizzly night ride.

AlteredCarbon
    Free Member

[Homer] mmmm…beer [/Homer]

rolymo
    Free Member

AndyPaice
    Free Member

the more expensive torches of this type where you get an instruction book and info on the product (Fenix L2d etc) are rated as water proof to 1m depth. Don't know about the P7 torches as they dont come with any booklets/details, but the waterproofness can only be improved by putting a small amount of vasaline on the threads and rubber O ring of the tail cap and bezel guard threads.

steviegil
    Free Member

Lucky torch 😀

This is good to know they are pretty waterproof as i have 2 of these heading my way hopefully very soon and 90% of the time up here its pishing…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MTE p7 from DX . How Waterproof ??????????????’ is closed to new replies.