Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • MTB Tubular Tyres
  • AyUpRhino
    Free Member

Who sells MTB Tubular tyres in the UK, or am I stuck with an international order?

lucien

Uhhhhhh…….no one!

You can buy tyres and tubes or tubeless tyres for 26" MTB wheels.

Tubeless tyres have no inner tube, and run just sealant, a tyre and a specific rim strip.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

tufo do them iirc

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Lucien – think you misunderstood the question!

I couldnt find any in the UK, but I know starbike (here) have them, and I've bought from them before.

aP
    Free Member

Sonic Cycles sell tufo.

njee20
    Free Member

Aye, and from my dealing Sonic Cycles will supply any shop too, we've got Tufo stuff from them before.

aP
    Free Member

Sonic sell direct too.

Marge
    Free Member

I read that Schwalbe are introducing them too…

Popocatapetl

And they're only £93.99 each!! Bargain! 😆 No doubt they make you faster than a fast man on "Es and wizz"

njee20
    Free Member

You could get some custom Dugasts!

paul78
    Free Member

AyupRhino really doesn't need to be any faster !!

Lets not encourage him to find extra speed.

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

I want Dugast, but finding them is the hard part.

Duc
    Free Member

Try Sam at SIngular as he's a bit of a TUB guru

MrNutt
    Free Member

ok, why?

lookmanohands
    Free Member

They are gnar certified!

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

Thanks, will try singular.

BigJohn

£93.99??

You could buy a car tyre for that!

Macavity
    Free Member

"You could buy a car tyre for that! "
    would that not be a bit heavy?

anc
    Free Member

Do they come with a Mavic offroad backup car incase you get a puncture :mrgreen:

ratherbeintobago

Dugast appear to sell direct.

Andy

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Hey Rhino,

Get back with a report (steer me to one) on performance, I used Tubs on my road bike (race) and would never go back to the clincher pain/faff.

PS: leave a strip of rim opposite the valve glue free (speeds up removal when racing)

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

Have raced with MTB tubulars for around a year now in Australia, but they were with the original GEAX tubular tyres, and with a 120tpi they felt awful (not much to gain on trail feedback). They have now upped the TPI to 200+ which would help, the Dugast are 'it and a bit' and I know the price in Australia for these tyres is around 120-130 pounds each, so was hoping to track them down over here.

I have got the latest Ambrosio MTB Tubular rims, so want the fancy tyres for a fancy build up.

Geax have just introduced a 'basic' training MTB tubular, which means that should a puncture happen, there are cheaper options.

In my experiance, I was getting the same amount of wear out of a tubular tyre as I was a tubeless tyre, but more care was needed. I also put aqua-seal on teh sidewalls which helped alot.

njee20
    Free Member

and would never go back to the clincher pain/faff.

Clinchers a pain after tubs? WTF? I sold my tub wheels as I wasn't racing enough, and a puncture in a training ride 60 miles from home is a lot more bother on tubs than clinchers!

Would be interested to try MTB tubs, but just cannot see the point, particularly as most of the wheels weigh about the same as clinchers (unlike on the road), but the tyre choice is very limited and heavier than clinchers!

Edit: the Ambrosio 'Tubular Disk' rim has a claimed weight of 420g, so 100g more than a Stan's Alpine. You can definitely keep those!

AyUpRhino
    Free Member

True on the weight, but riding style means I won't touch a Alpine…

njee20
    Free Member

Alright, a Flow rim is 50g heavier, you save that in tyres, and they're used by some World Cup DH racers!

I think I need to try them to see what the point is!

shaggy

I've got some Reynolds carbon wheels with Geax tubs to test at the moment. Not super light but very stiff for the weight. The ability to run them at low pressures without burping (as can happen with tubeless) is very nice.

Tufo are doing 430g tubs now.

Got some Dugies to glue on for 'cross season, lovely things.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes the Topo Ts look good, pretty good value too, half wondered about getting a pair to try sometime!

I have to say I've never burped a tubeless tyre, but I'm light, and don't ride aggressively!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tubular Tyres’ is closed to new replies.