• This topic has 50 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • MTB Tandem
  • AlexSimon

Just had my first ever ride on a tandem – with my 10yo on a rigid Cannondale with v-brakes (7 speed gripshift, so I suspect around 10-12 years old).
    It was fantastic! Even off road on some gnarly rocks. Mind you we don’t weigh too much. (60kg and 35kg).

Some adventure ideas have been popping into my head now…

A quick look on ebay and this one is the same model: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-Tandem-/170896036217?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27ca329179

I’d be tempted, but in theory this one is available to borrow anytime.

richardp1977
    Free Member

We bought a secondhand Raleigh Pioneer Venture U+1 tandem a few weeks ago from Gumtree. As posted by Mike_D, the components are basic but the frame is good. The stock gears (Shimano Acera) work OK given the longer cable lengths.

However, the cable disc brakes (Quad QMD-5 203 mm) are not good. The front brake is like a V-brake in need of adjustment, and the rear disc brake is simply awful.

I’m considering replacing the whole braking system – does anyone have any suggestions for tandem disc brakes? The Avid BB7 + SD levers seems like an option, but I’m not sure how these would fare with a long cable to the rear.

Richard

richardp1977
    Free Member

Essential information to help with brake choice:
    Team weight approx 110kg + 20 kg tandem. We aren’t doing serious off-road singletrack, but rather a mixture of roads and towpaths, disused railways and bridleways etc. No alpine descents!

Mrs MTG and myself are thinking of getting a tandem.
    We want an MTB one, preferably full sus, so that limits the choice a bit and virtually rules out second hand as there don’t seem to be any about.

There’s a hire place not far from us doing them at either £40 or £60 for the day.
    http://www.thebicyclehub.co.uk/bike-hire/our-hire-charges
    http://www.tandeming.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=135&Itemid=184

On the other hand, we could get something cheap and second hand off ebay.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tandem-bike-/261133660770
    If it last five days it’s worth it over the hire costs.

NickBab posted a list on the previous page.
    Ellsworth and Nicolai do full sus tandems, although the Nicolai one only appears on a USA shop site, not on Nicolai’s UK or German site.

Any thoughts ?
    How bad is that Barracuda ? I’ve got spare 27 speed gears and hydraulic discs, so could upgrade for the cost of new cables and hoses.
    As long as the frame & forks hold up, I could keep it rideable for a while until we decide if we want to spend £2000+ on a frame.

nbt

I know slowrider picked up one of the cheap tandems, but I’m not sure how much off road he does on it. When I asked the same question (see link on previous page) some folks saidf they weren’t all that bad – however we were lucky enough to pick up a secondhand dawes tandem. I’ve since upgraded the rigid QR forks and v brakes to 150mm bolt through marzocchi and 203mm hydraulic disks mind you 🙂

I’m in the middle of replacing BBs (and having issues as the crank bolt is stucl) but once it’s back in one piece yo;re welcome to give it a go

mt
    Free Member

Would love a Nicolai tandem ourselves when but when contacted they do not seem able to advise on how to go about purchasing. So that that’s that them out.

Thanks for the offer, nbt. We’re in Worcestershire. If you’re not too far away we might take you up on that.
    Mrs MTG has a lot of tandem experience. She used to ride stoker with two guys from her running club or captain with her kids on the back when they were little. I’ve never ridden one.
    This is all just preliminary enquiries at the moment.
    I’ll keep looking on ebay and elsewhere and see if something cheap and local turns up.

nbt

We’re in marple, so a couple of hours drive. THere’s some nice trails to try tandems on round here too. If you want to make a weekend of it we can recommend a local B&B.

Need to sort out the tandem first though 🙁

mt
    Free Member

There was not wrong with your tandem in Swaledale.

nbt

apart from the squealing brakes and that godawful mechanical screech on the sunday morning you mean? rear brake needs new pistons, and it needs two new bottom brackets (both are wobbling), new middle chainring and new cassette as the chain was slipping

nbt

tandem for sale here if anyone’s looking

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-mtb-tandem-with-140mm-pikes-203mm-dics-fr-16-and-19-frame

not mine, would like to upgrade but not got enough cash at the moment or I’d have been interested

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘MTB Tandem’ is closed to new replies.