Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • MTB saddle on road bike
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Is it a no-no because of ‘The rules’ or some such bollox or is there a real reason for it? Surely a saddle is a saddle & if its comfy you’ll use it?
    (Kore t-rail mtb saddle on road bike here)

wwaswas

WTB Rocket V on my road bike.

I can see that some mtb saddles are the ‘wrong’ shape for the way you sit on a road bike my wtb seems fine.

butcher

I didn’t realise it was such a no-no. Seems to be a lot of road bikes with Charge Spoons on them. Including mine.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey next thing you’ll be suggesting putting a 26er saddle on a 29er!

Position on road and mtb can be quite different but if it works for you then why not. Got a road saddle on my XC race bike at the moment.

mrmo
    Free Member

road saddle/mtb saddle? is there such a thing? other than marketing?

Road bike has an SLR XP and the mtb has a SLR 135g?

scotroutes

As above – if it’s comfy then go for it. However it’s not hard to see that your arse needs different support on upright MTB than it does when using low slung drops.

binners

Stick it on, then go out for a ride in your baggies and a camelbak, making sure you wave at all the roadies coming the other way. They’ll smile and joyously wave back, maybe giving a little ‘whoop!’ as they do

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Ah, but can you use an ‘enduro specific’ saddle on a road bike?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I discovered a few years back that the WTB Pure V suits the shape of my arse better than any other saddle I have tried in 25 years cycling. I have one on three road bikes and two mountain bikes now.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I’m one of those with a spoon on my road bike (it is the Ti railed one though 🙂 ) If it’s comfy then it’s right…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

WTB saddle on my ‘big’ bike, Kore saddle on the road bike, generic no name job on the xc bike, Boardman titled one on the Boardman (strangely enough) & a cheap thing on the singlespeed.
    Apparently my bum fits lots of saddles – either that or ive de-sensitised it over the years!

jambon
    Free Member

WTB rocket V on my road bike too. Fits my arse and is lighter than the one that came with the bike.

Onzadog
    Free Member

All my bikes have sdg belair saddles regardless of the duty of the bike.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Charge spoon on my roadbike..

MrOvershoot

Onzadog – Member

All my bikes have SDG Belair saddles regardless of the duty of the bike.

Yep me too, even the shopping bike!

orangeboy
    Free Member

I use the same saddle on my main mtb and road bikes ( sellers Itaial genuine gel pro link from years ago)

bigdean

Onzadog – Member
    All my bikes have SDG Belair saddles regardless of the duty of the bike.

Yep me too, even the shopping bike![/quote]

Me too!

mintimperial

The saddle on my road bike got swapped with one off my SS mountain bike, on account of how it was comfier than the original, and you spend more time sat down on the road than off.

If anyone gets sniffy at you about the origin of your saddle you’re allowed to stab them in the eyes until they shut up, but only with an approved Rapha tyre lever, and it has to match the colour of your socks (rule #4893).

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got a road bike, came with a Selle Italia ‘Cube’ Saddle. Felt like my back end had been invaded. Changed to a SDG off one of my mtbs, too soft and squidgy. Then put a new spoon on it. Just didn’t work for me. Ended up maning up and getting used to the Cube saddle. Then built up another road bike , so Cube was on winter duties and the new one had a Selle Italia SLR put on it. Just getting comfortable on them now. As with all bikes, saddles are a personal thing. I love my SDG’s and now the spoons on my mtb’s, which I am fitting as the sdg’s fall apart but were just not right for me on a road bike.

benji
    Free Member

I run Fizik Tundra2’s on all my bikes, road, cross, mountain bikes. Reason it’s easier to set your position up the same, so it’s one less variable that doesn’t need to be. Same pedals as well, egg beaters and candys, yep even for road racing with, that way one pair of shoes fits all, ok I have multiple pairs of shoes, but at least when I pack as long as one pair is in the vehicle i’m good to ride.

Scapegoat

Cube road bike came with a Selle Italia x1 torture device. Spoon on that now, Spoon on the HT and……errrrr, a Spoon on the Mojo,

brakes
    Free Member

there is a clear difference and different requirements.
    I have a minimal saddle on the road bike with split tail – it’s very comfortable for me. I put it on the MTB and it was horrible – hurt my arse a lot even though it has suspension and I kept catching my shorts on the split bit at the back.
    there’s often more weight on your arse on mountain bike (unless it’s a race bike) so you need more cush.

mooman
    Free Member

Winter road bike has a Mtb saddle. It’s heavy – but comfy.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘MTB saddle on road bike’ is closed to new replies.