Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • MTB Multi-day Fitness Training
  • Rupert
    Free Member

I hope to fulfill a bit of an ambition next year and enter the Transwales with a view to looking at other events if all goes well; and after a bit of advise / direction on training.

A bit of background:

I'm 31 and have been a recreational MTBer since my youth, though had a few years off ubtill recently, so feeling very rusty.

I'm a former member of the Parachute Rgt. so am no strager to training and exerting myself on "multi-day events".

Mentally I'm sure I can put up with the training and the event. But I'm a long time out of the sadle and have never trained specifically for a cycling event; although often incorporated cycling into my praining during the "army years".

I have a young family, and one more on the way in Nov. so having the flexibility to get out is not guaranteed, although I do also have / use a turbo trainer which comes in handy if I'm on domestic duties.

Basically no idea how to structure or develop a training plan for such an event. Any pointers on specific websites, books etc will be a huge help.

Thanks,

Teifiterror
    Free Member

Definitely the book to get if you want a relatively structured training plan and very easy to follow.

My own advice though is I got very bored of the structure and it took away what I enjoyed which was getting out on the bike when I felt like it.

Just getting out and riding is the best way but understanding the basics of proper training from the book above can help you structure it slightly more and include some specific training into your rides.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just getting out and riding is the best way but understanding the basics of proper training from the book above can help you structure it slightly more and include some specific training into your rides.

I concur.

I'm just riding, riding and riding some more. Trying to put big days back to back and seeing what happens, looking at diet and conditions or simply tring to emulate the race conditions and then do some more riding.

The Nissan Titan Desert site used to have a training schedule, but I can't find it now. 😥

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like long rides may be tricky for you but they are not essential. A good training plan can get a lot out of few hours. Right now just focus on enjoying riding, if you take it seriously then the training will become demanding next spring!

Rupert
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Getting out for long rides is not imposible; I try and do a good half day most weekends at the moment; put a 2 – 2.5 hr ride in mid week and at the moment mix up my cv with 1hr runs with the dog or an hour on the turbo –

Would it be better for my rides to be on road, with say just one MTB sesh a week to build and develop technical skills?

Teifiterror
    Free Member

If you can get one or two longer rides in per week 3+ hours preferably one at weekend and another midweek. Then one or two medium 1-2 hour rides in that would see you do well. Then you can fit in turbo sessions up to an hour to specifically work on certain aspects which is where a book like joe friels comes in.

Road can be better for distance training as its a more consistant effort, also some core work is very important for multi-day riding to keep the back from going. I did a lot more work on this before torq at the weekend and it helped a lot.

DaveGr
    Free Member

Agree with above about core work – thoug I'd suggest getting someone to show you how to engage and train the correct core muscles (abs / glutes) as a lot of people don't know how to.

Long off road rides – as much to get your bottom and hands used to long rides as for fitness.

On road – you'll get fitter faster on road 'cos you can keep at the desired intensity

variety – agree with above that a schedule can make it dull for me so mix and match.

skills training – get some so you learn to be more economical when biking – has made a big difference to me.

Recovery time – as important as training

karnali
    Free Member

if you want to relieve boredom on teh turbo then check out http://www.thesufferfest.com was recommended to me last year and actually quite enjoyable or rather the time passess much quicker

cynic-al
    Free Member

Road miles way better for fitness.

Chew
    Free Member

After completeing the Transwales this year, the best training you can do is just to ride as much as possible.

Depends on what result you want. I was just going for completing the event.

I didnt do an specific training, just took every opportunity to ride that i could

20-30 social MTB ride most weekends
    25 mile road commute 1-3 times a week.

Also a few months before we did the offroad C2C, which was invaluable training/experience. Long days in the saddle, and riding long days back to back.

johnny_met
    Free Member

Road miles way better for fitness.

LOL!

Rupert
    Free Member

Again, cheerts guys.

Karnali, thanks for the link. Been using Spinervals dvd's but my God they are boring….

Dave, any suggestions ref core exercises? I do crunches, press-ups and chin ups regularly out of habit as much as anything else…

DaveGr
    Free Member

Core exercises

this covers the "basics" and "Lying leg lift stabilisation" – I started on these to get used to engaging the muscles. When engaging the core abs I tense the muscles in a triangle from the bony bits on the front / side of the pelvis down. I can breathe and then keep these tense.

Then there are either static (plank, side plank, bridge) or dynamic exercises – using gym or medicine balls or weight stacks. Mix and match as they will work differently. Focus on keeping the abs engaged and performing the exercise correctly.

I also exercise glutes including the side glutes as I find these stablise the leg at the top of the pedal stroke. Lie on your side with knees bent, tie an elastic band around your knees and then whilst engaging the core and not tilting your pelvis raise the upper knee against the resistance whilst keeping your ankles together – so your legs are like a clam.

TexWade
    Free Member

I did transwales this year and did in the best shape I have been in for years. My keys were

Base training – all riding over winter was easy/ moderate. No absolutely caning it. Came out of winter faster even though had not trained to go fast

Weights – did 30 mins weights twice a week. Didn't make me any faster but I believe I had better recovery by being stronger and kept injuries down. However build very very steadily

Core – did it twice a week . Try cyclo-club.com – good advice on core here in the podcasts

Other than that Sundays 3 hour ride most weeks. Never more than 4 hours. Commuted to work twice a week or 3 times in a block. My commute is 1 hour each way so gets 4-6 hours under belt without affecting week-ends. Because I had banked hours in week if family needed it sunday ride can be dropped.

Social night ride weds night – if you do the Transwales you will need to be able to ride at night for one stage.

I think base is key but if you don't have very long can be a mistake because you won't get enough stress onto the system to adapt. Look at Chris Carmichaels book re time crunched cyclists. Lots of good advice here.

Odd turbo session but for testing only.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just ride loads & loads.

Road miles are a superb way to get in loads of cycling with very little preparation – unless you have extensive trails on your doorstep.

It's also very easy to control your effort / output on the road. You can cover 100 miles in 6 to 7 hours depending on fitness and elevation available and then have a damm good off-road ride at the weekend.

Last thing you wanna do is get sick of riding big distances on the MTB before the event even starts.

Sort out your fueling and recovery strategy early and get used to a one brand of energy drink/gel/bars/recovery drink to ensure you can stomach it for sustained periods.

Get some bloody good shorts.

Keep your bike in fine fettle as the last thing you want is a stupid mechanical due to lack of maintenance 25 miles from home.

Shred
    Free Member

Some people like structured training. If you do, try http://lwcoaching.com/

TexWade
    Free Member

From this years transwales don't get too reliant on electrolyte/energy drink.if you down too much of this stuff i think the process goes into reverse and you lose sales etc and dehydrate. I suffered really bad but recovered after going on water for a day. For training you will be fine, but multi day rides don't overload the system since you have limited margin to recover.

Rupert
    Free Member

Cheers for the intel guys.

Did the south Cotswolds dif route from the forum trial guide today; good ride on my door step; may become one of my longer rides with an added loop for a bit of technical stuff.

Russell96

Base training makes a big difference. A long 7-8 hour ride as a rehearsal 6 weeks or so beforehand to test your fitness, your feed&drink strategy, how you feel the next day and what you do for recovery, it gives you the chance to do something about it.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

You will be fine without any training, But if you want to get a serious training plan there is quite a lot of useful information on this site: http://www.mtb-marathon.co.uk/training/training.php

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘MTB Multi-day Fitness Training’ is closed to new replies.