Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • MTB-ers in Cambs/Norfolk
  • strangertothelight
    Free Member

Just wondering who on here is based in cambridgeshire/norfolk area.
    I only know a couple of people who are into biking, and they are based in the Norfolk area and generally always busy!
    I am tromendously unfit but looking to get back on the bike more often after such a crappy winter, so if you’re in my area and are looking for some other people to ride with then I’d be interested to hear from you!

Cheers!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

anyone at all? 😐

allthegear
    Free Member

Yes – I’m up in Kings Lynn and (I believe) Louminus is in Norwich somewhere – just look for the glow…

I’m happy for the occasional ride, certainly. Not this weekend, though – back in God’s own country…

Rachel

EDIT – unless you’re an axe murderer!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    strangertothelight
    Free Member

Do you not tend to get on too well with the axe murdurer types then? Shame 🙁

But seriously, its good to hear that there are some other people around here! I don’t actually live in Norwich but I commute from Cambridge every day, so is a doddle for me to get to.

I have a lot to fit in this weekend too unfortunately, but if you want to get some people together for a ride some time then drop me an email. Address is in my profile.

Cheers

Graham

Scootash
    Free Member

http://www.cammtb.co.uk/ for riding around Cambridge. Tuesday and Thursday nights from 7.30. It’s not exactly gnarly, but is mostly off road.

luked2
    Free Member

Yep, Histon (just north of Cambridge).

Me and a few others go out Wednesday and Sunday mornings from 6:30am (we all have children and so have to squeeze cycling into the parts of the day when they are all tucked up in bed). Not very gnarly I’m afraid…

Email in profile if you fancy meeting up.

Jaz1979
    Free Member

Thetford is not too far down the road

Take a look at the TIMBER forum, trail building and also group rides. Also in the past run skills and race training sessions, with weekends away – http://www.timbermtb.org

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Thanks for the links Scootash and Jaz. I’m not up for night rides, as much as I would love to, I don’t have any retina-burning lights. If I took up night riding, I would be want to use NVGs just out of sheer over-the-top coolness!

Luke – I know the Histon area well as my good friends (adopted extended family) and my ex live in Girton. I don’t know how well I would get on well with doing rides that early as I am a bit of an insomniac and rarely get to sleep until about 4am anyway 😕
    I would probably be interested when it starts to get warmer and lighter earlier though 🙂

AverageMark
    Free Member

there’s a fair few of us on Retrobike if you pop in and take a look, i’m sure several people on here have met us before (Luke for example). We often have rides at Thetford and a few of the lads are from your neck of the woods. Just so happeds that we have a big ride planned for this Sunday at 10 in the morning. I think last year we had about 30 riders, but we put that down to everyone wanting to get their faces in a magazine!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Thanks Mark, I will take a look at Retrobike. I’m afraid my bike isn’t very retro though… 😉
    I may stick out like a sore thumb! 😛
    Where abouts are you riding this sunday? I had loose plans to meet up with a friend (maybe 2 if his brakes are fixed!) for a ride around Thetford, but if the ride is elsewhere, I am sure I can drag them along 🙂

Edit: Just noticed on the site that it says Thetford 🙂

gringojimi
    Free Member

I’ve recently returned to the Newmarket area, so it would be great to meet up with some local(ish) riders.

Cheers,
    Jimi

AverageMark
    Free Member

Everyones welcome, my Swift is hardly Retro but it doesn’t stop me. the more the merrier!

jedi

my mate owns a bike shop just outside cambridge (cant remmeber the name) he does organised rides too.
    he is called stripe

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Jimi – Feel free to drop me an email if you want to have a ride round Thetford or something 🙂

Mark: Thanks, is it ok to drop you an email about it or are all the details on Retrobike? My internet has decided that retrobike is going to be a very slow website at the moment 🙁

AverageMark
    Free Member

drop me an e-mail and i will send you the information fella.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

YGM Mark 🙂

AverageMark
    Free Member

In fact:-
    The Anglian and Lincolnshire Group is proud to present…

The Retrobike Thetford Classic 2011

Round 2 Of The Retrobike National Event Series with support from

:: Date: Sunday 23rd of January 2011
    :: Time: 10am for a 1030 start.
    :: Meeting at: Brandon Country Park Visitor Centre, Bury Road, Brandon, Suffolk, IP27 0SU Map here: http://www.multimap.com/s/PJmDkXZS
    :: Directions: Brandon Country Park Visitor Centre is situated on the B1106. from the A11 this is the elvden cross road, signposted for brandon & centre parks. traveling from the A11 towards brandon the Brandon Country Park Visitor Centre is on the left. Parking is now Pay & Display, £2 all day. there is extra parking in the Orchard car park behind the old peoples home.
    :: Terrain: Lots of single track, bomb holes and forest trails.
    :: Route: Here are the maps from the recent recce.

Morning ride data + map http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/parkpreboi/Singlespeed-MTB/Brandon-Country-Park/morning-route/87999

Afternoon ride data + map http://www.sportstracklive.com/track/detail/parkpreboi/Singlespeed-MTB/High-Lodge-Red-Route/afternoon-ride/88000

Last year over 20 people turned out for some great riding around the trails of Thetford. MBR magazine also turned out on their old school machinery and covered the ride in their magazine. There will be a ride in the morning followed by another after lunch, as per the maps above. Lou74 will be our guide for the day.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

lol you can ignore the email then 😛

Thanks for the info!

Where do I sign up?

luked2
    Free Member

*waves*.

I’m thrashing around Thetford a bit further north that day

ir_bandito
    Free Member

luked – I lived in Histon for 5 years. Lovely village. Just a shame there’re no hills…

AverageMark
    Free Member

huh? you pre riding the track Luke? the race is the following weekend, i’m there as well.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

Luke – How about thrashing a bit further south and meeting everyone else for lunch? 😉

luked2
    Free Member

No hills? I think not 🙂

These noble hills are all within a few miles of my front door:

1. Bar Hill. Duh 🙂

2. Field of Dreams (bridleway up at Childerley). I can’t even get up that hill. Sometimes. After it’s been raining….

EDIT: sometimes I can’t even ride *down* this hill if it’s been raining enough.

3. Gunn Lane, just beyond the Cottenham road, where the hill rises majestically above the fens to a height of ten or more metres. From here you feel as though you are on top of the world, looking down upon Cambridgeshire.

4. Castle Hill. Again, duh 🙂

5. Cambourne Mountain. Ride out to Cambourne along the Harcamlow way. Down the not-totally-legal path to Cambourne, and up to the top of this soaring peak. Gaze out at the metropolis spread out below you. This one might not have been there when you lived around here, it’s quite new….

Need I go on?

luked2
    Free Member

Luke – How about thrashing a bit further south and meeting everyone else for lunch?

Sounds like a plan.

Can’t do this weekend as I’m off to the Thetford Winter Series. But could do the weekend after that?

Whereabouts would work?

luked2
    Free Member

huh? you pre riding the track Luke? the race is the following weekend, i’m there as well.

Hey, you’re right!

I’ve had it in my mind all this time that it was this weekend. I would have been very very puzzled….

I’d better go and lie down for a bit.

AverageMark
    Free Member

🙄
    what can i say?
    See you either this Sunday or the next then Luke

steveo48
    Free Member

I’m often over Cambridge way, as parents live in Linton, also a mate has just starting to ride, so a meet up at theford would be good. Apparently the Lodes Way although flat is a nice ride out. And I’m also interested in new routes to try when I’m back that way.

strangertothelight
    Free Member

We will have to organise something then, as it seems there are quite a few of us east anglians up for a ride!

Luke and I are discussing a potential plan, and we’ll post something up soon to gague interest 🙂

tommid
    Free Member

I’m in Downham market and work in Cambridge. Email in profile if anyone fancies a ride.

Stripe
    Free Member

You are more than welcome to come over
    to Cambourne (off A428 west of Cambridge)
    for a ride!! We ride out at 7pm tues & wed nights,
    beginners tues, advanced weds, starting from Massif Bikes
    opposite Morrisons. Plenty of free parking. Also Sundays, 8am
    start from Massif Bikes – intermediate pace – currently one week
    road, one week MTB. This Sunday is MTB. Starting to plan
    away day Sunday rides too. All are more than
    welcome anytime.

Stripe
    Free Member

Big thanks to Jedi for the plug – and if anyone
    needs bike skills training – he’s definatly your man!!
    Well worth a trip to see the master!!

Diane
    Free Member

Haha I used to live in Cambourne! The ‘big’ hill isn’t that big but was very sandy 😀
    Quite miss Thetford but I have other hills to ride now 😉

AverageMark
    Free Member

Right then, quick disclaimer! The route above is slightly wrong for the morning’s ride. It’s one of our lads GPS tracks and the cheeky fella has included some out of bounds sections. Just for reference we will be sticking to the legal tracks only. Also he shall be prodded with a large stick and forced to ride a Raleigh Activator for the mornings ride as penance.

stumpy01

I am quite often over at Thetford. We do a (fairly) regular night ride normally on a Wed or Thurs from about 6pm from Brandon.

I get over there at the weekend too every now & again.

Luked2 – I’ll also be at the WS3 (next weekend, not this one coming!), languishing near the back of the 2hr field on a Barry White Inbred (Black/Gold) black Reba’s.

I’d have definitely been up for the ride this weekend was I not spending the day packing house stuff up in anticipation of moving!

BeardedDave
    Free Member

Just another link to local riders: http://http://ificantrideit.myfastforum.org/

There’s regular posters based in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgshire and even a few a bit further afield than that. There’s normally regular rides at Thetford most weekends, as well as quite a few trips to other spots around the UK. We’re a friendly bunch and it doesn’t matter how quick or slow you are, as long as you’re happy to stop and exchange nob and fart jokes every now and then! 🙂

dizcostix
    Free Member

I’m based south cambs (melbourn), I frequent thetford as much as possible sat or sun depending on other commitments. it tends to be off the cuff as I dont really plan well in advance. I’m on a slate santacruz nomad with green e13 chainguide, say hello if you see me!

strangertothelight
    Free Member

dizcostix – I’m about 10 mins drive from Melbourn! Drop me an email if you feel like meeting up for a thetford (or local ride). I tend to do my rides on the spur of the moment too.

Bearded Dave – Thanks for sharing that link, I will check it out later when I have more time.

cr500dom
    Free Member

BeardedDave
    Just another link to local riders: http://http://ificantrideit.myfastforum.org/

There’s regular posters based in Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambridgshire and even a few a bit further afield than that. There’s normally regular rides at Thetford most weekends, as well as quite a few trips to other spots around the UK. We’re a friendly bunch and it doesn’t matter how quick or slow you are, as long as you’re happy to stop and exchange nob and fart jokes every now and then!

Yep, theres a few of us meet up, we`re not XC Racer types either, its all very civilised, Keithy, Alex B and Neilkachu over there are all Cambridge way and as Dave says, theres normally something happening most weekends
    Cheers
    Dom

bikerider007
    Free Member

Hi all I’m also looking for some riding buddies, I am thetford based
    i would like to get out every weekend from now on. sundays are probably better for me tho i can make the odd sat, i’m no fit freak just want to get fitter and by last weekend ride i have a way to go. lol
    but i want to enjoy my riding so hence looking for riding buddies
    i normanly park at the bottom of the beast(black run, just off b1106) but have now found shakers rd again off the b1106 to park in.
    I riding a Kona Coiler with r/s boxxers on the front just a tad over kill for thetford forest….so if your up for a ride let me know
    i will be out this weekend the 29/1 – 30/1/11

gringojimi
    Free Member

Hi Bikerider007,

I’m planning on getting out to Thetford this weekend.
    If you want to meet up, contact me via the email addy in my profile.

Cheers!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘MTB-ers in Cambs/Norfolk’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts